Where Have All the Role-players Gone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fireangel, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

"waves back" there we just rollplayed :)

2. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I find a defining question to role players is "Do you role play when you're alone?"

3. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

4. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I think we all do in real life, think about the first date, the new job, your kids when they bring something up to you that you really are not interested in but pretend it is interesting, etc... yes we all Roll play at some time or another.

6. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I am an Old timer RP. I have rp'd in D&D since the original blue box,red box releases.
    I love Rp'ing in any and all of the games i have Played. If you dont want to RP, that is your Choice.Dont look down your nose at those of us who DO!

7. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

I'm either a role-player, or have schizophrenia....not sure. Have to argue with myself to find out.

8. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

I bring back the memory of Guild Wars 2 when I was asked if i was a real person because I was talking to the NPC auction merchant. They probably believed I was crazy, they most definitely thought I was part of the game because I was doing it. I thought it was great fun!

Another great memory of a player run shard of Grimmwold comes to mind - Was a RP shard where RP was strongly enforced. I would imagine even here however people would not do it when alone. I however, even when out on my own, would kneel before the animals I would hunt and do a prayer over their bodies to release their spirits before taking hide and meat from their still corpse. I was alone, but what difference does it make alone or with someone, if your character would do it, then, do it.

9. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I've similar memories, Amberraine. The RP magic manifests when you begin to inhabit your character.

10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I'm back... I agree wholeheartedly to most of the last things that were said... however I don't see an environement conductive to full immersion,at all. If you can roleplay in the environements you stated AmberRaine, you're a unique and wonderful person who we can never get enough of. I'm all for imagination but if you knew what we had...

It's funny Ravicus, if you're a paradox then I'm a bathos... lol. Noone will roleplay with me because my role cannot exist in the beautiful new world order.

You guys think you can't please everyone ? I say nothing is impossible, only fools anger at a momen't notice.

For good measure I will quote the bible :

I have already said too much about how and when, its not even fun anymore. I have cancelled my subscription and will be back when I'm allowed to exist. Boo boo :'(

It seems I ban bear a broken spirit AND a sickly body... to think I could well die next month. Well they've been saying it for 5 years now, I guess I'm impossible IRL too...

11. Amber Raine

It is not entirely difficult to find RP in any situation even games that should not have RP in them, I am just odd like that :) I have played many games over the past 3 decades, starting from BBS ones to full immersive online like we have today games. All had a way to RP even if others thought there was not. Often times, you could bring other people into said RP without them even realizing what you are doing until they are already a part of it ;) Its fun!

Prayers and candles to the Goddess for you, known the feeling since 2005 - be strong and believe you can fight it and as long as you never give up, you are already a winner :)

Blessed Be

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I didn't expect to be on trial before the game began taking shape :) is all, no hard feelings Firelotus (the only true mod who's not afraid to talk to me) and thanks for the warning but I had to push it a little further, even if it meant sacrificing my character and losing the few who said they enjoyed me.

I just cannot beleive we have the same arguments here we had 10 years ago with UO, its the exact same, the exact same trolls, the exact same arguments, the exact same way to drag me on trial...

If we have no concensus on what is proper roleplaying *environement* then we have a bunch of wonderful people in the midst of wolves, thats all we get.

And I know too well how that ends up...

Go figure...

and now :

we're deep, at least 10000 feet underground...

13. Amber Raine

I just have to say it - I adore Markee!

licemeat likes this.
  14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I admire him, however he would rather ignore and forget *us* seers and true game masters of UO, and for all the wrong reasons :(

in fact pretty much every hard lesson learned is being forgotten and "posterity" is taken for granted... it literally means the oracle makes the seers obsolete...

replaced by technology isn't that familiar ? what have we become ?

15. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Prayers going up for you! <3

16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I'm still keeping my pledge whole, I'm not really frustrated or anything, just hit a wall of disillusion I guess. However I still feel that if King Gariott had his way, it would be muuuch better... why do we let everyone with a tongue second-guess everything he wants is beyond me. Whats the goal of having a king if we're not going to listen to what he really wants and put political pressure on him for the sake of pleasing potential new players, that MAYBE one day will want to try our game. I watched the videos and interviews again last night and I can see what he wants because he gets so exited when he speaks of UO, heh. Anyways I'm not here to stir the pot...

I think I'm getting a hang of it, feeling a little better this morning... thanks for caring guys, since I'll be quiet for a while I can well say it, I have a rare form of cancer that is eating my jawbone marrow which I have "caught" when I lost many of my teeth due to horrid dentistry (I changed dentists) that resulted in many giant abcesses that months of antibiotics supposedly mutated into that. The antibiotics didn't actually cure the abcesses, they just created enough weakness for the cancer to take hold... I had to resort to surgery and a horrible treatment with tons of side effects which prevents me to eat or feel whole...

I found that some herbs help, my doctor was very open minded about natural cures, especially when he saw my success with applying some special essential oils to the bone and massaging for hours kind of put the bad guy under control. He wanted me to try cannabis also, he said there is a kind that would not have psychoactive side effects but he told me that he was saddened he could not prescribe it because of pressure from his peers and since its illegal here... like I wasn't stressed enough... I can't even get some releif cause people are afraid of a god damned plant !!!

yet I have to work, the gov is not giving me one penny for disability even if sometimes I faint at work and have horrid instantaneous headaches and nausea...

my cousin got cancer and got so much help from our family one night he told me "just wait man, at one point you're going to get sick enough people will throw money at you, then you can at least afford a better treatment"... cause he knows I been treated like **** in the "free" medical system, he got to a private clinic and in canada its sadly the only place to get proper healthcare.

of course he dosen't know me much and why people let me rot, life is taking revenge on me for everything I did in UO... nobody cares for me, nobody even calls me to see if I'm still alive ; I think it would take them weeks to find my body if I died...

oh and why ? because I'm a very manual person that almost knows how to do everything and I helped them all so much they feel intimidated by me, because I put my nose in a bit everything too much they prefer to ignore me... I have repaired their cars, their houses, their computer, their dishwashers, redid their parkings, help them becore more ecological and energy effiscient, installed solar panels...

I'm the guy who makes everyone uncomfortable because they don't "keep up" with me... the party pooper... the stranger...

no wonder I'm so depressed... I keep myself alive for the sake of my mother, she's one of the only people I keep close to my heart, so don't worry for me please I'm giving all I can to survive.

I love you mother...

Crusader of Sacrifice likes this.
  17. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Dont give up friend. Keep your strength, will and persistence in life above all else. To endure means to show the amount of power noone would have thought possible. Personally I tip my hat to you in respect.

Still, I must say that perhaps this thread isnt the right place and the thread is in danger of being derailed completely, but I feel for you since there is no off-topic forum (that I know of) to put all the above in a thread there :( .

18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

thanks for noticing... normally yes I would have gone off-topic because I feel a strong community is hard to build without access to some intimacy or feeling of belonging.

Hence the impossiblity of derailing this thread which begs us to bring our roles to the table, so we know where we stand and what is our motivations and intentions :)

anyways that was pretty much all I wanted to communicate here... I feel like the roleplaying community should be official like the college of arms and I think it should receive much more attention both on the forums and in the game so people can already have a feel of what is possible and what is not (due to PG-13 rating an other restrictions)

I now take my leave, good lords and ladies...

timbusan, Caska DiFumarate and Seon like this.
  19. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

I would LOVE to submit an active, unified, community run Role Playing group for a Royal Warrant.... someone needs to get on that! :cool:

20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.