Where Have All the Role-players Gone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fireangel, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Tempting.. such a group comes with some challenges and would require a significant number of dedicated people. However, the things such a group could promote in-game may well be worth the effort.

Culture & Lore
    Player run storylines
    All manner of events supporting the above

Basically I would envision a group of volunteer DMs operating within the game in an almost secret society type fashion working with other groups to pull things together. like the Scholars, Poet's Circle and College (which all have potentially significant in-game roles to play).

They could even run an active RP campaign on the forum and/or in IRC although there probably isn't enough time for that pre-launch.. they tend to take months. :)

2. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

...BUT (cause all of this comes with a but) without much RP "meat" to work on, its like crawling uphill. Who ever is interested is welcome to join us, btw :D. We could use some fresh faces and ideas :)

(shameless ad plug :D)

3. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I thought there are already a few out there... Including Rustic Dragon's Hearth live blogs and everything he offers to the community that way. +2 thumbsup

re: roleplaying.. I think this is still the theory crafting stage...

Caska DiFumarate and Amberraine like this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Actually I thought what she had in mind was rather more something like this.. Player DM Group? :)

Caska DiFumarate and Fireangel like this.
  5. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Aw but that sounds like work and stuff. If we're busy doing constructive stuff we won't have time to flame each other and demand more loot/badger the devs or just be the general nuisances we love to be!
    I offer my support but we definitely need a suitable organizer because I am an idiot who would make sure that all disputes were resolved by steel cage match.

I greatly enjoy your company.

6. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

I was actually thinking of a group that would encourage roleplaying events and storytelling in game and online, though there are already so many cool events happening, it may just end up being more of an organic sprawl. :D I do like the Player DM group though! Good stuff! And I am super glad you're till in the mix, Seon... I've enjoyed my time lurking in the SotA Roleplayers community. :)

7. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Thank you for the kind words. I know SotA RP has been a bit off, but we will do our best to make a worthwhile comeback ;)

Gaelis, Net, Ahuaeynjgkxs and 2 others like this.
  8. Crusader of Sacrifice

Crusader of Sacrifice Avatar

9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I don't think anyone is boring or exiting anymore, that my lifes sabotaged or preordained... really all I care about is good intentions and purity of virtue with goals of community.

Not very demanding, this companion... when we can all find an angle where we see the light at the end of the tunnel, I'm the happiest man on earth, and I dance.

Fireangel and Ariella like this.
  10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

The name's been given to me by Xorinia (no it wasn't a GM or seer playing as Xorinia)

it's abreviated here and briefly means little glob of lucky mucus from the original sneeze, it however nuances far deeper into history and philosophy...

thanks for making me feel kinda welcome, although I do feel some of you would shield me from the potatoes and cabbages being thrown at me... I just know I'm paying for it, this little streak of luck... I know why I'm unlikeable thats why I really appreciate the attention especially at this point in time.

*sad fit of cough*

Fireangel likes this.
  11. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Ahuaeynjgkxs for some reason I can imagine your character in SotA being a poet or something.

Fireangel likes this.
  12. Annah_Sennah

Annah_Sennah Avatar

I'm a role player, but I haven't enjoyed it in awhile in UO, it's mostly OOC drama. I'm hoping to have better rp in SoTA, but I've been hesitant to join any guilds or even make one myself.

Seon, Net and Fireangel like this.
  13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Ah thanks Seon, you can be sure that my passion of english literature is touched in this installement of King Gariott's legacy, especially since Tracy Hickman is one of my childhood heroes and companion :)

Xorinia tought of me as an ambassador, or messenger of sorts... they... wanted someone to help the few friendly to their cause find channels of communication and other less enchanting tasks.

Fireangel I trust you have begun contacting potential leaders for the alliance ? I would love to see that royal warrant into action !

14. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Uh, what? *blush* I am contacting some leaders in the Shroud of the Avatar community, as per something Seon and I have been working on lately, with input from others in the SotA Role players group. Yes. What alliance you refer to I am unclear. I certainly hope that any group or individual that Lord British sees as deemed to receive a Royal Warrant, if the person or people desires that, should be able to mutually meet on that ambition.

Seon and Caska DiFumarate like this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I'm talking about the alliance you're about to create :)

Firstly you need to reach a concensus as to the purpose and functions, then submit to lady Firelotus ?

Sounds that simple if you ask me, are you saying its not in your goals to become the official roleplay portal ?

16. Net

Net Avatar

I am bit confused by some aspects of this discussion. I do not think that we need official roleplay. I think that anyone should be allowed to roleplay on their own, if people want to belong to one roleplaying group or another, it is cool. If they want to form an alliance, it is great. However, I can not help myself but it looks to me that some people want to have one official group of roleplayers and who is not part of it is not roleplaying or is bad roleplayer.

I mean it will be great if SotA RP becomes place coordinating RP events, but it does not have to be official let alone the only one place for roleplayers.

17. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Good point. I think what the OP and the SoTARP'er's are doing is trying to promote it, not be an "official" group, which I think is great.

However, there are always going to be people who want to be "official" and in control and buds with the devs. Once you dangle a royal warrant, it's going to get people licking their chops. It's part of the "forum PvP" and just human nature.

18. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Ah, I see. Personally, I like all of the Dev Team, including Lord British, very much. As I stated, I'm all for whatever he and they deem as suitable for a Royal Warrant, and I am fine with anyone who desires to see that stamp of approval on any individual or group. My wishes are the best for all of them.

I am not the leader of the Shroud of the Avatar Role Playing community, if anyone is still wondering. That would be Seon. I joined that group like everyone else, and am happy to cooperate with Seon and others to be a proactive group providing a community service. This means as an 'immersed' adventurer within New Britannia, as well as one who may be of some amusement or enjoyment, or even more 'ambitiously', enrichment to that world. That is the beginning and the end of my personal ambition. *smiles*

FireLotus is not, with the Royal Warrant talk, attempting or even hinting at -- in my opinion, having known her in some measure for a time -- any control over any role play. Lord British isn't doing that, as far as I can tell, and as one of his assistants, neither is FireLotus. Lord British is a member of the SotA Role Player group. The Royal Warrant, as far as I have seen, is merely a pat on the back, or a stamp of approval, saying that Lord British points to that person or group as an example of the way he likes to see things work.

In any case, this Thread is in danger of getting quite off track. Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Role Players welcomes all types of role players, both guilded and non-guilded. We love role play, both casual and formal.

My personal preference is a distinct immersion, though I certainly detest rigid rules, and when I am as we say, 'OOC', I prefer that to be seldom, necessary, and obvious, rather than a bouncing in and out of character. Again, that is my personal preference, and I am only one member of the group. My little article here is to say that I miss seeing such role play, and that I find role play a good thing on many levels. I hope that it does not lose it's place in the modern 'gaming', and that any who have not dabbled or completely immersed themselves in it will take a risk and dive right in! *winks*

19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Forgive me but then again I live in a very different world that yours all whatever you might think...

I think the affirmation of your ambitions is the exclamation of what is needed here and how it flows certainly indicated that smug remarks like Net's and the generalisation about the inner psyche of roleplayers will crash against the mountain you are.

In my humble opinion, noone hinted at any epic proportion "ultra elite" roleplaying that is getting gross favoritism in the *huge fit of cough*

and ... ARGH.

*cough*

is not at all part of the picture here... we're rather seeing how Seon could support you but you after all are showing the distinct qualities to further the line :)

patience, tolerance, gentlewoman ethics, humble, perseverant...

If anyone here in the forum and chat and the umbrella of infinite dreamatizations was more eloquent as to the purpose of our glorious aspirations then may his or her supporters step forth...

*waits long enough*

See milady, nobody's cheating here its your hearth thats warm :)

As you say let it be a little community service, you and Seon would only try to coordinate a few volunteer roleplaying groups within the lore and try to force people to interact a little through whatever is possible down the road :D

OMG I said FORCE... watch the thread derail hehe, irony... :p

Indeed it makes it muuuch easier for new roleplayers to then access as much lore as possible within an "aprooved" context which includes good and evil roles, but within the ethics of the roleplaying "alliance"...

Of course that requires a little bit of work on the website, ha ha.

20. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

In order to clarify some things:

- Yes we do aspire to become the role play portal of SotA. And I agree with you, there is no official Role Play. There is just...Role Play. We are not a group, we are a community (well we are still growing :) ).

- Our purpose is to make it easier for role players to find RP of their choice (throughout the spectrum - PvP-RP, PvE-RP, fully immersive, casual, etc), to organize events and even story arcs, and even help people in their events and story arcs by providing people, resources and promotion. Think of SotA-RPers as the good Samaritans of Role Play....cause we love Role Play :) (Actually I like what I just said...Its now our new motto :D ).

- No we do not believe that whoever is not a member of our community is a bad Role Player or not a Role Player at all and we will do our best to prevent such attitude from surfacing. As we state in our FAQ, we want to be a community known for mutual respect, friendship and fun and we intend to adhere to these three points for as long as our community exists. Still if there is a common place where you KNOW that you will find not only Role Players, not only stories to partake, but also resources and help from a whole community, isn't it worth it?

- No, we form no alliances simply because we are not a guild. Perhaps our friend was confused or something. Our team is comprised from people of various guilds, while some of us (including myself) are unguilded. We are a group of people who simply love Role Play and would like SotA to have that. Its actually the opposite of what was said by our friend, guilds could join us and advertize their events, organize chat RP (which is basically connecting with the official SotA IRC chat), find new recruits and plot story arcs for whomever wishes to join, get help in planning advertizing for their guilds and events.

- In regards to the Royal Warrant. SotA RP was not made in order to get a medal and a literal pat in the back (though I would not say no to the later). It was created in order to help the Role Players in such a way that from the moment they log in, till the moment they log off to feel like they entered a living breathing world. You know what my "Royal Warrant" would be? To have Lord British, Darkstarr, Firelotus and the rest of the devs participating in Role Play events regularly. To not have scripted story arcs, but have the members of Portalarium partake in stories of players. To have some quests given by the devs to players. To have PvP campaigns where Lord British fights against Darkstarr and the players join them, picking a side to fight for. If we manage to make it so, then I will have a really valuable "Royal Warrant" worth more than any medal given and that would be my experience to once again enter a world of magic, monsters, chivalry, evil, mystery, life....

I hope my post put your concerns at rest, Net. :)
    X

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.