Where is my Town Square?

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Candor Atlantica, Nov 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

When we purchased our towns, each description of items/things provided indicated we would get the following:
    • Central Square with 1 NPC owned building
    What is a Central Square?

To me, it meant that I would have an identifiable area set aside for me to place NPC's and NPC buildings. Basically, a center of commerce. So what has Portalarium provided for us to have such an area? It seems some of the biomes/templates have provided a "cobblestone" area or a combination of "cobblestone" and docks as a Central Square.

But what about the rest of us who don't have those particular templates? Where is our Central Square? Some of us have began placing our own Central Squares by placing cobblestone decorations on the ground, quickly eating through our decoration limit, just to have an area, that I believe is something that Portalarium said would be provided.

My suggestion to remedy this for everyone who does not have their Central Square, is for Portalarium to design one giant Cobblestone tile that can be laid upon the ground to act as our Central Square. Of course make it so we can place other decoration items on that tile. It is a very easy solution, and it will prevent us from making our square out of 40 plus tiles.

Please voice your support so we can get this on the "things to do list".

@DarkStarr

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Gaelis like this.
  2. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Your town square is wherever you build it with the tools provided (NPC Building(s), NPC(s), Paving stones, other deco, etc.). If you visit Falling Waters Fortress, I think you'll figure out where the town square is rather quickly - even though there are no paving stones there....

3. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

I think you miss the point. I do not doubt you have built a town square with decoration paving stones or have thrown all your building in one area. My point was you shouldn't have had to use more than half of your decoration limit trying to do so. i.e. placing 20 or more paving tiles, for which Portalarium can provide 1 giant tile to accomplish it. Meanwhile several templates have a "fixed" Town Square provided. (Holdfast owners are very limited in decoration limit. So maybe it is not an obstacle for a Metropolis owner, but it may be for others.)

You also mention the "town square is wherever you build it with the tools provided (NPC Buildings)" - I'm asking Portalarium to supply 1 giant cobblestone area that can be placed, which would be a "provided" tool. Rather than have Portalarium redesign the template in several variations to have "fixed" central squares, which may not be the particular area one would want their town located at within the template, design one placeable area that can be utilized. I would think we should expand the tools available to a town owner, rather than limit them.

Portalarium listing a "Central Square" as a feature, can not be written off as merely something left to a player to create. It was a feature that was offered by Portalarium as a "sales point". So what was the intent of listing:

• Central Square with 1 NPC owned building
    they could have just listed:
    • 1 NPC owned building

4. Selene

Selene Avatar

Well, that was probably written that way before there was dynamic towns and tools to customize your town yourself. I am sure if you choose a static town, you can gave a central square, but you'd be giving up much of your flexibility.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  5. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

I see your point. But I also think you are also wanting more than was sold. A central square with one NPC building is certainly doable even in a hold-fast. Paving stones are not necessary, though they may be desirable to you. Portalarium has already stated that they intend to up the item count in POT's once things are further optimized so that will accomplish your goal I think.

6. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

Haha. Well this thread went completely south of where I thought it would go. Anyway, can I at least get 1 giant tile? One that makes it so I don't have to use 20 tiles to make?

The same could be said for walls.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

If you with the Dev Team to establish the Town Square for you and not consume your Deco Limit, you have the option of setting your town to Static.

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

The Dev team has stated when performance and optimization is better they will increase our limits. I am a big request for increased limits every chance I get so they don't forget ;). Right now we have to pick and chose with what we have to create interesting towns and also we just keep reminding them that we need more limits ;)

9. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    I only have a holdfast POT and this is my central square, yes some may say "oh golly that is far to small" but it is after the smallest POT .After placing my deco I still have 24 out of 40 items to place. So it is doable.
    [​IMG]

10. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

@Cassandra Corax Your Square is exactly what I'm talking about. All they need to do is create ONE tile that is the size of the tiles you made. I bet many of us would be happy with that. I don't care if I even have to pay for it!

11. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

And that is exactly what you can get if you go static instead of Dynamic. The information your quoting is from before Dynamic towns were even thought of. So if you have a small holdfast with limited deco, then going Static is still your option to get that.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the one large cobblestone deco piece. But, to me, your applying a "feature" that was designated for Static designs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.