Which PvP Style are you or are you?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Proteus Tempest, Nov 21, 2017.

?

Which PvP style agrees with you the most?

1. I need no purpose other than to kill other players. Call me a Psychopath but I like it.

8 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. I am an arena combatant. I exist with others of my kind, we live or die by each other's hand.

7 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. I Flag PvP because like and edgy dangerous environment throughout all of Novia.

21 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. I need a goal, be it a storyline or objective to want to get involved in PvP.

23 vote(s)
    25.3%
  5. I'm not a PvP'er. Period.

22 vote(s)
    24.2%
  6. I flag PvP to get a bonus when gathering resources.

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. I'll flag PvP when there is a justice system.

5 vote(s)
    5.5%
  8. I am a Bounty Hunter of sorts. I and my friends hunt down bad PvP'ers and bring them to justice.

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  9. A little of "All of the above" or most of the above.

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I want to get an idea of what people really want out of PvP.

If I see there are more options based on feedback I will change the poll in the future.

You can explain your vote if you choose to by leaving a comment.

amarious, smack and Metalocalypze like this.
  2. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I run through shardfalls screamimg "NOT THE FACE!!! NOT THE FACE" But when @Siliss is in the party: "C'mere, SUCKA!!!"

3. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

no votes for arena combat :p I'm sooo not surprised...

Disgruntled and Proteus Tempest like this.
  5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I want real CTF or CTCastle. "we message each other who has the flag" holds 0 interest to me.

6. Metalocalypze

Metalocalypze Avatar

I really like the edgy dangerous factor of being flagged but struggle to stay flagged cause of RL commitments (kids at home etc) and constantly having to AFK. So the ransom system causes me to stay unflagged more often than not.

I did try Exiting to Menu every time I AFK'd but became more of a hassle than anything.

I don't mind dying or being PK'd. It's just the ransom system stops me staying in that mode :(

7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I flag PvP at times just because I farm in add on store gear and I have nothing to lose. I dont do it all that often but Im never bothered.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

None of those choices. When they implement a system where the indiscriminate killers and theives are visibly flagged and there are rules when in-town (like super tough guards that teleport to you for attacking someone or stealing from them) then I'll consider flagging for PvP again.

Vaiden Luro, Elwyn, fonsvitae and 6 others like this.
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Right, and I also really have to overcome the negative of ransom, which really comes down to me not wanting to have to unload my inventory repeatedly.

10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Most times I am flagged for the bonus exp. At heart though, as in all games I have played, I am an anti griefer player. In age of conan, there was lot of top level people in the low level zones killing low level people. My friend and I would go and bash on them. Might need an option for anti griefer pvper.

11. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Another option, the justice system.

Bob Kelso2, Barugon and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  12. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

I have been farming xp with pvp flag for months and I have never used a non-dropable item from the store.

- Total items lost in pvp encounters: zero, just some hands and skulls xD
    - Total gold used with ransoms: less than 5000g

Honestly I don't get why so many people run away from this, 10% xp bonus is not bad at all. Most of the pvp encounters are super easy to avoid. In most of the farming maps the "nearby players" window is like cheating, and forced pvp maps like shardfalls, ruins and The Fall, you ended up dying from pvp like 1/5 times only.

Maybe just my experience but games like UO, Eve Online, Darkfall or Albion are more risky compared to SotA. This game is soft compared to those ones in pvp.

About topic; always need a goal for pvp, without it pvp is boring after a while.

13. eli

eli Avatar

For me,

it's the first four options.

14. Metalocalypze

Metalocalypze Avatar

I'm not sure how to word this well but best way for me to explain my situation is being a casual low/mid advy player It's hard to not feel at a disadvantage running around flagged. A bit like what Mac mentioned earlier, with high levels praying on low levels. Maybe by accident cause just seeing a flagged player is exciting for a high level to just want to attack without knowing they are low level.

If there was a system in place to avoid such a thing like loss of virtue to keep players in line to only attack when in a similar Adventure level would help a player like me.. Even more so new low level players ( I don't know the fix or system for this ) that's just what come to my head for idea. Some sort of way to balance out the PVP advy gap or areas that Adventures can attack each other... I don't know, I really don't.

I agree with Rada too, the ransom isn't really that bad if you play your inventory smart... it's just such a kick in the guts when you know you're at a large disadvantage running in to a high level avatar with low chance to defend or evade yourself.

To give a number value. I've only ever PVP matched myself with same level advy level players 2 times with the rest of matches being massively disadvantaged cause way high level player matches approx 25 times.

That being said. All those high level players have been kind and try to give me knowledge.

PS. Those 2 same level advy fights were super fun and went for considerable time.

Proteus Tempest likes this.
  15. Vox Aquila

Vox Aquila Avatar

I recently flagged again for the buzz.

I love to see a ? in the scene and like to run around looking to find who it is, however, 9 times out of 10 I run into a friend and we just end up chatting or waving. Saying that, I encourage all my friends and others to attack me on sight. I was attacked unseen in Owl's Head tonight and ended up claiming the tomb, but I still gave the stuff back. If there were people to fight all day then maybe some could make a living out of ransoms, but for me just having a fun battle is enough. Most all the best pvpers are just cool people and happy to share knowledge. I don't get what all the drama is about.

The rawest and most exciting emotion I get in game is being attacked by another player when I am not expecting it. Yeah winning is fun, but getting attacked out of the blue and having to deal with it, wow, to me that's the real magic - immersion, emotion, adrenaline, survival or death.

Proteus Tempest, Bayard, Mac2 and 2 others like this.
  16. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

So much yes! but no you cant make a living of ransom :p I think my last 5 ransoms might have covered some bark bread... if im lucky

Bob Kelso2 and Proteus Tempest like this.
  17. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Personaly, I have many reasons to almost constantly refuse the Oracle protection :
    - I have always been used to accept this type of risk.
    - I got a better knowledge about fighting skills and abilities with the rare fights I had
    - I don't trust the Oracle blindly.
    - This way, I can see the true nature of people.

Let me have my own doubts about that statement.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  18. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I wrote an essay for students at a private german university about how Shroud failed to see that the majority always lied between people who like risk vs reward within rules that reduce griefing or to phrase it different have consentual PVP in an environment that promotes cooperative play. Competition is still necessary between groups.

From the current results I would deduct that Shrouds world per se needs more depth and systems intertwining each other in PVP and PVE. Meaning what I suggested here as a first step.

Imagine we would have open pvp full loot everywhere.. the game very likely would have the same amount of players and miss out on a large chunk of their initial backers. Crafting systems for both sides that are compromising is difficult,yes, but SotAs only chance of longterm survival and acquiring and keeping a large enough playerbase.

I am sure they realised that as well and their publishers too.

Proteus Tempest and Barugon like this.
  19. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

In PvP Zones I'll attempt to zerg psychotically. Outside those zones under the framework of a justice system or hopefully a story arc. so H) some of the above

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  20. Metalocalypze

Metalocalypze Avatar

Bark bread might seem like nothing to some.. But feel like a life savings for a new player.

I agree 100% if on a level playing field or feel you have a chance to defend yourself. From my experience there is too far of a gap between a hardcore and a casual player to have a competitive PVP experience.

Maybe if Adventure Tier Zones restricted certain advy levels from initiating PVP attacks on lower tiered Adventures of a certain range would be inviting for lower level Adventures to at least flag cause have a sense of extra protection.

I know it's a tough with so many different play styles in one online world.

Not sure what the Justice system is. But sounds like something helpful... I'll do some reading up on that.

Just want to say thanks to the Op for the Vote / Questions was well structured. Hope I not derail or say to much. I just want us all to have fun online together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.