Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Who hates the combat system?

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by Asclepius, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

Ok so explain what mechanics are actually occurring when a glyph of a potion pops up on your skill bar?

Time Lord and Malchor like this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Our Future" o_O...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "wagram" makes a very good point...
    I never liked potions and I was surprised to see them listed "as card options". Who knows, maybe combat alchemists are in our future and they need to be there, but that's a kind of mind blowing idea...
    [​IMG]
    What's next for a combat alchemist?
    [​IMG]
    How does a harmful bottle find it's target?
    [​IMG]
    How do I get a helpful one down on the go?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I get confused when it comes to potions, but I do use them...
    [​IMG]
    I'm all for potions... Maybe they do need to be cards...
    But I think there could be a place for them that is similar, like a potion "slot" rather than as cards... But I can't say I support one or the other other, cards or separate.
    But wagram sure described something that provokes some good questions...
    ~Time Lord~o_O

3. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

I would assume that the potion comes from somewhere when it pops up on the trusty skill bar...but from where? Is it stored in the glyph aether? Is it carried into your hand by a faerie? Or is it on your possession? Using the logic that going into your pack to get a potion would break combat or the silly belt i suggested, potions shouldn't be able to be used in combat period. How does making it a glyph make it any easier to drink in battle?

Malchor, Lord_Darkmoon and Time Lord like this.
  4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

In a turn-based combat that would not be a problem as you would have to spend one round taking out your potion and drinking it.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

But we aren't talking about turn based combat. Where does the potion come from when it pops up on the glyph deck? Why should it be able to be used that way in combat as opppsed to belts and backpack nonsense?

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

The same mechanics that are happening when you use any other skill, or say switch decks to switch your weapons. Switching your weapons like that eats up focus. So why shouldn't drinking a potion?

The question here is why should potion drinking not take up focus like everything else? And why should consuming a potion have a different combat mechanic than throwing one?

You can also lock a potion on your combat bar, if you want it available all the time.

A compromise I wouldn't mind seeing is having those slots that you see on your inventory below your name always appear on the screen, which would give you quick access to all your bags. You could theoretically put potions there, if you want it to compete for space with bags or other items. Stacking potions would just have to be restricted.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

But its not the same mechanism as a skill. A skill isnt a physical thing, a potion is so where is the potion? Even walking around with potions in your bag should give a chance of breqking them.even having them in a backpack in combat.

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

What if we are drinking a focus potion because we are out of focus. So we shouldn't be able to drink a focus potion because we don't have enough focus? Also if we drink a focus potion should we lose focus, and then gain more focus again?

I vote no on potions having a focus cost. They have more than enough drawbacks as it is.

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Malchor1,

But why can't you cast Fire Arrow at any time you want? I assume there's a process to casting a spell, and you just have to do the process.

Plus, switching weapons still eats up focus, and that's not a skill.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

That's why actually eating up Focus from your meter wouldn't work, but having it as a glyph does detract from you using your skills in another way.

Time Lord and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  11. Margard

Margard Avatar

But there is a valid point in all of this - is focus the amount of time it takes to complete an action or / willpower do cast for example / or is it concentration

- It seems that its more related to willpower / and if thats the case - not really sure why an animation - that can be interrupted be a good approach to deal with the drinking of a potion

Time Lord and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Also you drink a potion or not. If a dose of a potion is one phial then you either drink it or you don't. Why would the potion be gone if we didn't drink it, and if we did drink it then how can we not receive the benefit?

The only way I can see interruption taking place is if it stops us from drinking the potion in which case we keep the potion, AND keep the glyph on the tool bar so we can try it again.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Look, I know I'm simplifying a bit. There is a way to carry potions on your belt and protect them, if you want:

Some type of flask or leather bottle holder that has enough padding to prevent the bottle from breaking,

[​IMG]

But I'd be happy enough with this:

As long as it doesn't stack, and has to compete with your bag slots.

I also think that the deck system should be more contextual, so the types of glyphs it bring ups depend on your condition.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

In R8 we kept the glyphs for spells that were interrupted (it didn't disappear from the tool bar so we could cast it again). They should do that with potions.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"All the strange uncharted territory we are in"...

This is something I've been thinking about from another thread and I think I now "get" where the Reg vs no Reg thing is coming from... because our combat and entire world do have magic in them, I do believe that the Knight's forms of magic (which I consider the Reg'lss forms) are separate from higher forms of Reg required magic, "because the higher forms depict a Mage character build and should be hindered by armor, whereas "regular no Reg magic" should have no armor penalty because they are lower forms of magic that are in our world on demand. So, I'm warming up to the no Reg magic thing for lower spells, but I do think that those lower forms of magic need to be less hindered by armor.

What happened to the idea of spells backfiring? That's another question that had come up in other threads, but now that "every character that fights uses magic in some form, I don't like that isea... Why? Because it effects me :D now...

I hear this term used allot, "turn based combat", but does that mean I can go take a break and have the monster wait on me to take my turn? I've just always been confused why this comes up, so maybe I'm not understanding it correctly and need it explained so I can understand it more. "I don't want to be against something when I don't know what it is...

Non of these issues are very passionate for me, but they do pose interesting questions and answers that come from them. This is why I don't ever mind opposing viewpoints, because when we or our developers are creating or thinking about anything truly new, this provides a great thinking environment for great new ideas to be drawn towards them or be considered, or be adapted to.

I do love the random card combat, but when a player is using less cards or an all random deck, there should always be rewards for the risks they take... and I don't see the rewards reflected in a way I can notice them.
    [​IMG]
    I think this would be a great squirt bottle for all our potion needs ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Jynx likes this.
  16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Is that made out of Man Flesh! Muhahahaha!

Time Lord likes this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes, it is.

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"How long should it take to have it's effect and have it's effects last?"

This brings up a very good question in my mind of, "how quickly should a potion take effect?"
    I'm thinking that potions should take "some time" to work rather than have an "immediate effect"...
    When I drink a Red Bull, it's not an immediate effect, yet I think that it's timer should be delayed in the amount as a cool down time has.
    "Should there be a potion burn out or hangover effect ever?"
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Jynx likes this.
  19. Margard

Margard Avatar

That might complicate things too much - anticipation of when to take - might drive people crazy - but its an interesting idea

Time Lord likes this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Margard,

Or potions could just have a gradual effect, like regenerative for health potions.

Don't know.

docdoom77 and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.