Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Who hates the combat system?

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by Asclepius, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Margard

Margard Avatar

That's great but - the issue - is the potion your panic button? - which makes sense for it to be fixed and not take focus; right?

Or is it a preventative tool - that most likely be rendered useless unless the regen rate is abnormally high

Time Lord likes this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

It could be different for different potions, theoretically. The devs have already suggested they want food for long-term regeneration, so potions would have to be a bit faster. But it could be as slow as 5 sec to 10 sec. I don't necessarily mind immediate effect potions, either, so I'm not suggesting either way... although taking a few seconds would sort of mimic the process of it going through your system.

I apologize, by the way, to Malchor1 and others, if I was a little harsh about the potion issue earlier in this thread. The whole reason I'm concerned about this is I really don't like the issues around what you brought up -- that potions are basically panic buttons in RPGs -- and because a lot of RPGs allow you to stack potions, this becomes a bit of a cheat.

Its not that I'm so against having potions available outside the deck system, I just want it justified. In fact, I think even potions in the deck system are a bit cheaty, so I actually in some ways I'd prefer being able to take potions from limited space on your belt, like I described. You're given a chance to pack one or two potions on your belt, and this is your preparation for battle. The deck system lets you potentially drink dozens of potions you have in your backpack, so is cheaty in that way.

And I still see there is a trouble distinguishing potions from other skills. It would seem to me, if you wanted to cast magic, it would make sense to have your reagent bag on your belt too, so you have easy access to your reagents for spells. But I don't think that's going to be the case.

docdoom77 and Time Lord like this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Team Work Magic" ~Ritual Magic~ o_O?...

This is something I've been meaning to bring up and since we have most of the minds of our time here, this is as good a place as any...

I can't think of a game that has these and I think it would encourage Fellowship and cooperation.

Is such a thing MMO possible? o_O
    If everyone, or a team cast as certain spell, couldn't that become a "great spell" as more players cast into it? When I think of such spells, my thoughts go to something that resembles that of building a fire, where that spell could create a temporary small storm effect, where if it is maintained, then it's effect can have some longevity to it.

It sure would make for some counter videos to some of the dancing videos of other games that seem very fun to become a part of because everyone is doing it.
    Doing things or making things happen as a group seems to have some public appeal even in the advertisement of any game, yet also, "I think it would be great to have such effects and spells within our game".

Any thoughts out there? o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Jynx likes this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

I was actually playing with an idea along that lines, I guess I'll make a post about it in the next few days or something,.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Margard

Margard Avatar

I'm for the idea of the belt - and I think a moderate regen rate is a good idea (to ensure non-spamming and be more of thought out approach as opposed to the OH SH*T moment)

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Margard,

Do you agree with me on non-stacking?

I guess if they take up the idea of different sized bottles that could be a form of acceptable stacking, but they could make it so drinking from a larger bottle takes more time and can be easier interrupted, because of heaviness.

Yea, a mod regen rate can make it more thought out.

7. Margard

Margard Avatar

Yup agree

but I would prefer for it to be structure in a manner where you are "choosing your poison" as opposed being prepared for everything by holding large bottles

Let the game force you to make choices / with no clear benefit - just your ability to manage the conflict when it arises

8. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

Seeing as we're talking about magical drinks there can be leniency in the amount of time it takes to affect someone as there is no comparable medication to compare them to, even the redest of bulls. There are many medications that have near immediate effect. Sublingual nitroglycerin, thankfully, becomes effective as close to instantaneous as you can get.

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hmm.. but, I was thinking... a focus cost could actually work for Focus potions... what would happen is if the drinking of the potion is interrupted, you lose the initial focus but don't get your focus recovered. So a failure means a net loss, while a success means a net gain.

I'm not suggesting this is the right way to do it ... just saying that if you think about it, its not an impossible way to do it.

10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Think of turn-based combat like of chess. During your turn you have time to plan your move, think about where to move your hero and what action best to take. But you also have to wait until the "enemy" is done with his turn, too.
    If you want to know how this can play out in an RPG, play Divinity: Original Sin. Didn't have so much fun with a combat system in a game for a long time than with Divinity.

Or watch this video:

Miracle Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Great example :) Thanks! I'll be watching it later when my internet connection is better. I haven't had time this week to upgrade it :( So I got in game once, and then couldn't get back in for the duration of the weekend due to internet traffic issues here in Thailand.

Vids and examples are always better than 1000 words :p
    Thanks Lord Darkmoon...

Jynx likes this.
  12. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Why not just a camels hump with a bitable pipe over your shoulder where you can just bite and get health potion instantly?

You could also have one for focus potion too. Cyclists and hikers use them because they can be accessed no hands while doing other things

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Time Lord like this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Why not, aye :p!

Miracle Dragon, Mata and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  14. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

Why does there need to be potions if they are going to be implemented as skills? Take away the potions and you take away the concern for PvP spamming of them. Just make more skills to fill the glyphs

Time Lord likes this.
  15. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I like the belt idea. With limited slots. So, it might contain 4 slots. You can have ready access to 4 potions, but when those run out, you need to hunt in your bag and take the time to refill your belt before you can use more. It's slick.

Kaisa, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Time Lord like this.
  16. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I like the belt idea too. Limited slots (4).

Potions could have instant effects but have side effects, ala "The Witcher". If side effects are done right maybe we could avoid cooldowns. Also they should be drank from small vials.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Time Lord like this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Side Effects and the Full Metal Alchemist"
    I particularity enjoy the idea of side effects that come on later after the potion has worn off. These could be bad effects or counter effects, or have no real harm in them and are just funny to have, where the Avatar has a strange compulsion to start dancing, or doing the chicken emote, or some other stupid and silly thing like that.

Our world has some strange physics and very odd things in it such as our magic. With this in mind, side effects from potions could have some very strange side effects, that do not necessarily have to conform with what we would naturally see in our real world. But such side effects have been seen in our real world such as a funny drunk or funny other motion inhibitor. Such side effects as these could be seen as drastic in their nature, yet could come on as a result of using potions or certain potions too much (some amount cap to be reached before incurring). One such effect could be that you become overly hungry, or overly full, or overly thirsty, or have no thirst at all. Other effects could be that, "your Avatar turns into a chicken, or a donkey" for a short time, which could even be intended and useful.

Potions could also turn your Avatar into Dr Jeckle or Mr. Hyde, or other scary creature with abilities, yet can't use a sward or armor. After such potions ware off, the Avatar could become weaker for a while... the options here in imagination are boundless, "yet these types of effects could make the Alchemist Skill something to be more than just a pharmacist.
    [​IMG]

Jynx, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Miracle Dragon like this.
  18. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

The idea of belts and bags which were mocked in my earlier posts could be used. But why adhere to the traditions of computer rpgs of the past? Taking the role of devil's advocate, what would people think of doing away with healing and focus potions as there seems to be a concern regarding spamming and misuse of these items. As it is now they are simply glyphs. So make them part of spells or skills. Healing could require a skill and bandages and could not be done when youre actively fighting someone. It would encourage the realism of the PvP experience so craved. Choose your spells and actions wisely and bump up their effects and if you get fatigued or run out of focus...regroup or succumb.

Time Lord and Miracle Dragon like this.
  19. Lathiari

Lathiari Avatar

Pretty sure that solders don't forget how to fire there guns or what grenades are.

I feel like you are missing the point entirely with this comment. It's not that anyone is forgetting ANYTHING on the battlefield but a soldiers hesitation can be a very real thing - soldiers have to ADAPT on the battlefield, they have to improvise. Things do not go according to a set plan 100% of the time in a fight a 1 2 3 4 *5 to heal* *5 to heal* 1 2 3 4 *5 to heal* *5 to heal* scenario is not at all what they are trying to capture here and they have a reason for wanting to move away from it. What they are trying to capture is the struggle of a battle, you can know x y and z but you have to account for the fact that your opponent knows q r and s, you don't know when and where you have the opportunity to apply x y or z and you also don't know how or when you will have to react to q r and s.

I'm not saying it's a perfect system but to reply as if it's your character "being forgetful" is complete fallacy and deserves to be called out as such, you haven't forgotten anything you are simply expecting a waltz and instead being thrown into a mosh pit. These are not honorable duels with rules and regulations these are kill or be killed scenarios, an epic struggle for the right to keep breathing - the randomness is meant to represent that struggle and I for one understand it.

Time Lord and Kaisa like this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Reflexes, not memory.

docdoom77 and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.