Who still plays UO? Me!

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by paxprobellum, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Vallas [BEAR]

Duke Vallas [BEAR] Avatar

Haven't played official UO since my account got hacked in 2001. :(

2. Dean478

Dean478 Avatar

Recently re-subbed to return. I do miss it, despite all the terrible changes over the years. At the moment, it's showing all the traits of a "modern MMO". Global chat channels, cash shops, global vendor search tools (although I think this is more of a search ability than a shopping tool.. I hope).

Oceania is a very barren place these days... I've not seen many people at all. Anywhere.

3. Birko

Birko Avatar

A few years ago, I logged back into Oceania during a "Return to Brittannia" promotion and found it very much a single player world. I resubbed so as I could place a house, but then it became a nightmare of cancelling the subscription. The account that I logged in with had to change to subsequent owners accounting systems. I think I needed to link with EA, then SonyStation and then something else. It was a a mess to cancel. I then went to a freeshard, Excelsior, where I still play.

I've made a couple of maps which are customised for Excelsior, but any old UO player will have a sense of nostalgia. Each map is about 2.5Mb - an old habit of giving this notice as I used to play UO on a 28Kb/s dialup modem :)
    Excelsior Trammel Map
    Excelsior Felucca Map

4. Theleb K`aarna

Theleb K`aarna Avatar

I wish they would just release a classic shard already and I would gladly return.. and play it alongside with SotA

Montaigne likes this.
  5. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

How do you think your acct get hacked? I've been playing online games since 1994 and I've never been hacked, not once!
    I think my secret is to never tell my username or password to anyone, I used the secret X-Files theme, "Trust No One",
    when you follow that mantra you will be rewarded with zero hacks.

I played Diablo 1 when it came out, oh noes hacks my count--- Never got hacked
    I played Diablo 2 when it came out, oh noes hacks my acout--- Never got hacked
    I played UO when it came out, oh noes hackes my accounts--- Never got hacked
    I played Diablo 3 when it came out, oh noes all gone haacks---Never got hacked

Maybe I'm just lucky but the only person I know personally who got "hacked" was my nephew, he complained and
    complained and complained, and when I asked him if he ever gave out his login/pass he admitted 'only to my 1 friend',
    when I asked who this 'friend' was he admitted, 'some player i just met last week', never trust a 'friend' with a login/password
    that's the lesson I would have learned if I didn't already know this lesson from watching The X-FIles, but hopefully
    my nephew learned how to trust no one, (especially online).

6. Duke Vallas [BEAR]

Duke Vallas [BEAR] Avatar

Trojan key logger sent via IM. Was fairly innocent back in those days. ;)

Montaigne, falconor01, Dhimmi and 3 others like this.
  7. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

ah that suckx Icq was the im of choice in 97 I still remember my Icq # but haven't used it in years 3679515

8. Lord Stein

Lord Stein Avatar

I still play UO Atlantic 191 month account... I played most of the other games over the years, and UO Is the only one I never quit. I like the basics..I like to collect stuff..and I like my house. I don't really play all that much or long sessions
    anymore, but I do login 2-3 times a week to check out my house, maybe do a t-map, maybe fish, or go shopping. I also will go till they pull the plug. :)

Zandaro and Montaigne like this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

FYI UO is hiring right now. They are building up their development team. There's new vision and they are planning on doing some new stuff. Who would have thought after so many years that this game would get a second wind? I think Lord British making SotA helped revitalize interest in UO a bit though.

BillRoy likes this.
  10. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

UO also just got Greenlit on Steam.

I notice that the new job posting is for an engineer with UI/UX chops. This makes me wonder if they aren't going to shutter one client and keep the other, or shutter both and move to a single unified client? I can't see Steam/Valve being keen on Broadsword publishing two different clients via said digital storefront.

BillRoy and Isaiah like this.
  11. Iron Hand

Iron Hand Avatar

All this talking about UO is giving me so much nostalgia! I used to play Atlantic shard and was always more of a tradesman than an adventurer. Mining all day then doing repairs for tips and crafting items for people at the smiths in Britain. I attempted to go back a few times since AoS but I couldn't fully get into it. Anybody else play Atlantic shard from the beginning?

12. Adampk17

Adampk17 Avatar

I started playing UO in '99 on the Pacific shard and my main hangout was Moonglow. My town fighter was in a Chaos guild called '420'. I'm sure you can infer what I was doing in my early 20's from that. ;)

I have a newbie character on UO Second Age, I've managed to scrape up about 13K so far. I'd love to meet up with other friendlies for some nostalgia laced new memories.

Send me a PM please.

13. killdonkey

killdonkey Avatar

I still play, but it's on a dying free shard lol. The only reason I play uo though is for the pvp. I don't really care about anything else.

14. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

Yes I too am still enjoying UO. I like to sit by the water drink a bit and fish. I still love more than getting drunk fishing. The game is huge and I have never seen all of it and I started to play it way back when it first went online. Its still a great game. I wish it could be played offline without any control from steam.

15. tomsawyer

tomsawyer Avatar

UOSA is great, their goal is "era accuracy" so no extras added.

I have also been playing a bit on UO Origins, a pre-T2A server, but the population is low. It too aims for "era-accuracy", so you are getting the closest thing to real UO as you can get these days.

16. Zickey

Zickey Avatar

i tried to go back to UO here and their but can never find any friends and it doesn't have the same thrill as the old days. so i always quit again...

17. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

I have lots of fun just looking around ,fishing,hunting,camping, or what ever I want to do that day. UO still rocks

Sweetmcpwnsauce, Miri and Mata like this.
  18. Hildebrand

Hildebrand Avatar

I still have an account and still pay, but I haven't played in a long time. I feel bad cancelling, but the game had become so complicated. Imbuing is complicated, High Seas was a let down for me. Stygian Abyss expansion was fun though. I don't have the drive to log in anymore.

19. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

This is quite an old thread, dating back to the kickstarter campaign. Anyways, I haven't played UO since I quit in Sept 2002 on the fifth anniversary of the game. Adding more content such as expansion packs without any meaningful story/back story to it really doesn't do it for me.

20. Hardy

Hardy Avatar

I transferred away from dead Oceania, to the low population (but not "dead") Sakura - and have taken up in game gardening... No, seriously. It's cool to log in each day and check to see what my plants are doing.

The new hobby quickly overan my small house, so I travelled all over looking for somewhere to plant down a 18x18 customizable. Didn't have much luck at first, then on a nostalgia trip spotted a big open space at the crossroads of all places. The 18x18 just fit and I snagged it! Once the plants on the roof mature, I will post a screenshot.

Edit: the plants on the roof finally grew big enough to get a screenie:
    [​IMG]

Aldo, Oakwind and Montaigne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.