Who was the best companion of all time ?

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by tradyblix, Nov 18, 2013.

?

Who was the best companion of all time ?

Poll closed Feb 18, 2014.
  1. Shamino

5.7%
  2. Iolo

42.9%
  3. Dupre

20.0%
  4. Mariah

5.7%
  5. Julia

2.9%
  6. Jaana

5.7%
  7. Toshi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Geoffrey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Katrina

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other (Sherry, Saduj, Sentri, Gwenno, Tseramed, Gorn, Leona, Beh Lem, etc.)

17.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floors

Floors Avatar

Shamino. Dupre. Iolo.

These are the names we are familar with. But also let us not forget the humble efforts of Katrina, Jaana, the martial power of Geoffrey, Mariah's spellcraft, or for those who like to take a walk on the edge, Sherry.

Who was the companion you identified with most and why ? Tell us a short tale.

2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

The mouse.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Avatar

The mouse! Was it "Cherry"?

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Close, it was Sherry. :)

I never had a favourite, most of them are interesting, but the ones I liked the most were probably Jaana and Mariah, since I quite like spellcasters. I always thought Jaana is an interesting name too. I also liked building Boydon and having him join me as a companion.

5. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

The mouse for sure. Like to see Dupre fit through those tiny holes. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Dean478

Dean478 Avatar

Dupre probably appealed to me the most as I always ended up taking the Paladin route too. But it's extremely hard to choose between Shamino, Dupre and Iolo. Those guys are like your three best friends through the series.

Morghanu likes this.
  7. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

Dupre gave his life to save both the Avatar and the entire universe in Serpent Isle. If that doesn't qualify him as "best companion" then I don't know what would!

8. Corwyn the Errant

Corwyn the Errant Avatar

It's hard to pick a favorite, but I always had a soft spot for Spark. Now I, like I'm sure many did, saw him adopting the Avatar as a father/mother figure, watching and learning as he traveled with such an august company. I imagined he and the Avatar sitting around the campfire, discussing the difference between revenge and justice....stepping between a fallen Companion and an onrushing foe , his sling a buzzing blur in his hand.... blushing fiercely as Jaana tended a wound... trading barbs with Julia....

I had hoped in Ultima 9, we would have come back to a Britannia under siege by the Guardian, her defenders lead by a Spark now grown to a man who had picked up the banner of Virtue and carried it onward in the absence of the Avatar. Ah, what might have been...

reroad likes this.
  9. Kell Frost Wyrm

Kell Frost Wyrm Avatar

[Sarcasm]Too bad Chuckles was never a companion, he would have dominated the poll.[/Sarcasm]

DimwitTheWise likes this.
  10. Maus Merryjest

Maus Merryjest Avatar

I liked Jaana... though I didn't know at the time that her portrait in UVI was a mistake. When I played UVII and saw that Jaana was suddenly a beautiful young woman and Iolo had aged quite a bit, I had to ask myself if the good Druidess wasn't pulling some perverse Dorian Grey thing with the Bard as her painting.

Until I found out that the UVI portrait had been a mistake, I found it rather suspicious that nobody in UVII mentioned the surprising transformation from Methuselah to Madonna.

DimwitTheWise likes this.
  11. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Hmm.. tough, but I had to go with Iolo! This, mostly because I like the dialogue and banter with him throughout the series. He was a good companion and truly felt like a friend in game, even saving your life at one point. I remember him sitting next to me in the Church of the Fellowship when I wanted to join saying something along the lines of "Avatar, these people are crazy, are you sure you want to do this?" lol.

v I liked most of the companions in the series though. Katrina is notably hot in Ultima: Lazarus. Just thought I'd throw that in there ;)

[​IMG]

12. Saraphana

Saraphana Avatar

Dupre will always occupy a special place, as I was very upset when he died. With that said, in the earlier Ultima's I was the Paladin so I didn't see much of him. The one party member that for me always kicked the most butt, and was the power behind the party was Mariah. She was the heavy artillery, when your done messing around Mariah and In Vas Por for the win. Literally could not have survived many areas without her, she was key.

13. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I've selected Iolo. What would Ultima be without Stones? Well... Ultima without Stones I suppose, but it wouldn't quite be the same :)

Doppelganger likes this.
  14. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I went with Iolo too. Maybe because he was my first companion. I just like him. He's funny and useful.

Ragnabrock likes this.
  15. Mavro

Mavro Avatar

Iolo for sure just a guy willing to help out.

16. Swanny

Swanny Avatar

The best Dupre or Iolo - the worst Saduj!

17. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

Poll closed, but I'd go with Gwenno. For me she was the heart of my party, and having her absent in 7 part 1 definitely felt like that there was a void.

18. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

It's funny you mention this, the "More Avatar Adventures" dramatizations by Caroline Spector (Warren's wife) actually brings that up, along with some other funny characterizations. That one covered U7 and UW2 (with a brief intro to SI that was never completed, sadly). The original "Avatar Adventures" covered U4 through U6, and is an excellent read into the Ultima series.

And on the topic of Ultima 9, if you ever play it with the fan-made Dialogue Patch, they actually gave a nod to that reference, by stating that the Order of Paladins had been refounded by "Sir Christopher of Trinsic". Christopher was Spark's father, and the man found murdered when the Avatar first arrives in U7. While it doesn't fix everything (nothing short of time travel could, at this point), the Dialogue Patch does make the game more playable and palatable for long-time fans. ;)

19. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

On the topic of best companion; Dupre for the sacrifice that redeemed his soul, spared the Avatar's life, and saved all worlds from Imbalance. You will always be missed, my friend. :(

I would definitely give a high mention to Iolo for most likely to kill me with that triple-dammed crossbow in U7, and also to Shamino just on being so cool. Let's face it, where would the Avatar be without the comic relief? :D

20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I always kept hearing this roomer that Sherry the Mouse was a chr that had some kind of influence from one of Lord Brit's former girl friends...o_O

I don't know how true that is... anyone else heard tell of that?
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.