Why are Addon-store weapons worse than NPC-sold items of the same type?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Casey McCormick, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casey McCormick

Casey McCormick Avatar

Why are the stats of the Ornate Viking Shortsword even worse than a normal Shortsword bought from a weapon vendor?

Both are classified as short swords, yet the Orante Viking Shortsword does 3-9 dmg, has a crit chance of 5%, parry damage reduction of 4-14 compared to the Shortsword's 4-13 dmg, crit chance of 15%, parry damage reduction of 6-20.

There are similar stats discrepancy for Sword of the Ba'Heer vs a normal Longsword.

Is there any reason as to why there exists this stats discrepancy?

Because it seems like I got short-changed for purchasing the Ornate Viking Shortsword, thinking it would perform the same as a normal Shortsword.

Also, there's no difference in stats between an Ornate Bastard Sword vs a normal Two-handed sword.

[​IMG]

2. idaniod

idaniod Avatar

Add-on store, and pledge item weapons are inferior in quality.. however you don't lose them when doing PVP...

You can also salvage them and apply the pattern to a better weapon... but then you can lose them in PVP.

Selene, Nelzie and Olthadir like this.
  3. Casey McCormick

Casey McCormick Avatar

So how does it explain that there's no stat difference between the Add-on store's Ornate Bastard Sword vs a normal Two-handed sword?

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

If they were as good or better, the game would be accused of being pay-to-win...

It is so accused anyway, but the developers have long striven to not sell items that are more effective in game than anything a crafter can produce.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Nikko, Nelzie, LoneStranger and 2 others like this.
  5. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I do love that they stick to that rule, as a crafter, of course :) You can salvage the pattern and apply it to a good weapon too. Or you can have it altered to be better by your local crafter. There is a chance to lose it in the process, however, so there is that.

Nelzie likes this.
  6. Lained

Lained Avatar

It's not that they are inferior, add-on store and pledge items are more starter gear hence the low stats but they come in more decorative designs which as stated once you out grow their stats can be salvaged for patterns and applied to better gear to conserve their appearance, hardly any add-on store items match in terms of use apart from their durability benefit and protection from being looted. As with other add-on store gear the Ornate Viking Short Sword states all this:

7. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Errrr, because the Pay 2 Win Cavalry (First Regiment) will be on that like bees to nectar.

8. Numa

Numa Avatar

Incidentally, the same rule applies to armor found in the store - you won't find their stats superior to anything that can be crafted.

As a caveat, not all properties of addon store equipment are transferable with the salvageable pattern once that pattern is applied to a crafted item. The magical light of the Elven kinsman buckler shield is one example of this limitation (someone correct me if this has changed).

9. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Imcased you missed it this game has gone over to full pay to win.

10. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

My opinion of course, but while some may argue the game is pay 2 win I don't think it fully satisfies the traditional definition. COTOs are the major sticking point for folks. They allow you to pay rent on a house and repair items. Neither is required to win the game. In game repair kits suffice for most uses. You don't need a place to live.

As I said, my opinion.

PB

Elwyn likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You can still have a home without COTOs and I've never repaired a piece of gear using a COTO.

12. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

He's not really asking the add on sword to be better, only the same as vendor gear. I don't think anyone would call that p2w?

Nelzie, _Twilight_ and Pinky2 like this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The add-on store gear is non-lootable and indestructible.

Nelzie likes this.
  14. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

Yes but what does it matter if someone would loot your 100 gp vendor sword or if it breaks? I don't see it as a competitive edge that such a weak weapon is non lootable or indestructible. Add on gear is for looking good imo.

Nelzie and _Twilight_ like this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

There isn’t a competitive edge. Only a convenience. Contrary to the P2W narrative, the only value is it doesn’t break. A good fall back weapon when your main weapon is no longer available.

Nikko and Nelzie like this.
  16. Casey McCormick

Casey McCormick Avatar

Thanks for all your answers. I'll think twice before purchasing any more add-on store gear or weapons in the future.

Weins201 likes this.
  17. Numa

Numa Avatar

All add-on store items are supposed to be cosmetic (with a few exceptions). That's why store items tend to look better than their crafted counterparts. There has been many, many intense forum wars on the add-on store and pay2win ever since these forums existed.

Nobody is going to touch the idea of having a powerful item being sold on the add-on store with a hundred foot pole because of that.

Just providing context :)

Nelzie likes this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The best part of add-on store gear is that you can salvage the items for eternal patterns that you can apply to your crafted gear. If you need to remake a piece because it's worn out then just salvage it and get your eternal pattern back.

Lord Ravnos and Nelzie like this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Plus add on store items can be salvaged down to get an eternal pattern that you can put on gear you have in the game as long as it is same type like cloth on cloth etc. And it is early we'll get lots more of everything as we go a long, nothing is done in this game. ;)

Nelzie likes this.
  20. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

My major problem is darkstarrs new crafted uber items being sold for $$$ which is the true definition of pay to win

I was sceptical as hell to cotos but am overall ok with them now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.