Why are avatars so grossed out by field dressing?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by crummel, Jun 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crummel

crummel Avatar

It is only a game and doesn't have to be overly realistic, but really? Our avatars kill bash in heads of thugs and elves, smash skeleton bones, and last but not least kill wildlife all the time. So, for the sake of my point, let's say our avatars are hunters of some sort. And as a hunter you skin and disembowel your prey - it's your job. That might be yucky the first few times, but you get used to it. Or you don't do it at all if you can't stomach it.

It really isn't important, but it annoys me everytime I use field dressing on a carcass: there he is, disemboweling for the umpteenhundreth time and he still goes "Eeewwwww! Yuck! Eerrrrrr, ewwww!" What a sissy!

I would like to be constructive, but sorry, I have no better idea of what those utterances of disgust could be replaced with. Whistling a jolly tune surely isn't it.

2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

"... thigh bone's no longer connected to the, knee bone, knee bone's no longer connected to the..."

tomcat_de and Witcheypoo like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Basically made this point when they first added the sounds. IMO it should be skill based.. beyond a certain skill it should go away.

4. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

that would be nice...after a certain level of gutting you get a different sound. I usually have UI sounds turned down so i dont hear it. LOL....but yeah it gets annoying. Also....summoned pets....every time i chop a tree or dig ore my bear bobs his head with every hit like he is psychiclly connected to it or he just likes the sound of it and bobs his head along.

Witcheypoo and Dollar Bill like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It cracks me up, I love it.

Witcheypoo, Sean Silverfoot and Anpu like this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It is amusing the first few times but it got old pretty fast for me.

7. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all
    So some things in this world follow real life in our world and so should the actions and sounds of the things around us. Chopping trees should be the sound of the axe hitting the tree. Field dressing should be the slicing and gushing of the body parts. Summoned animals actions should be the wanderings of an animal on the lookout for trouble with possible GRRRRRR as sound. The head bobbing was probably an attempt to show a reaction of the animal to the sudden sound buy my animals are braver than that and are not startled by sudden noise. Basically what I am saying is when tasked with finding the right sound to go along with an animation use real life as an example.

One (of many) things Port did get right is the remains disappear when the resource is harvested. Branches are not littering the ground, dust does not surround a iron node, and bones of the animal or skeleton are not left for piled up on the ground. I have played other games that would leave the skeletons piled up and it looked like a boneyard disposal area.

Anyway remember when you skin your kill the heart is the tasty part :rolleyes:

Net likes this.
  8. crummel

crummel Avatar

Good suggestion. Maybe no bonesaw noises, but slicing and gushing is fitting.

... which is a good thing in case of field dressing.

But AFAIR when you mine granite, a small crater and rubble is left over. I actually like that and would like to have it for ore nodes.
    When you harvest cotton, the bush stays there and simply greys out. With other plants it could be a leftover stem.

9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I thought that was a dinosaur foot print... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.