Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Why can't I be a pure crafter?

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Sindariya, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

@Chris @DarkStarr @RichardGarriott

Can me someone explain, why crafter are not supported in this game? Just to give a definition, crafter are those, that don't focus on gathering or exploring or figthing. They just want to refine raw materials and sell them. But those players could never achieve anything. I'm not really focusing on economic, because it is depressing to know, that what ever you craft is a NPC merchant less worth than the material. But what is really making SotA looking bad, that you not even can skill crafting because crafting gives NO XP. To focus on crafting you need to focus on gathering to get XP, but to gather you need to be able to protect yourself.

Why is crafting only taking (XP and value of the object) and not giving anything to the player?

2. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I personally think the current XP pool model we have for combat is not a good fit for gathering/producing.

3. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Agreed. There should really be a method for crafters to gain XP while gathering/producing their work. Not everyone will be out there bashing skeletons :D

4. Laurana

Laurana Avatar

Wasn't the production xp issue fixed, or at least changed to be better, for pure crafters this release?

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yes. It was mitigated.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...rafter-is-impossible.45044/page-3#post-499886
    Although on Sindariya's level it isn't much consolation. This since gathering can net 2 000 xp per success, while Refining&Production would be closer to 20 xp for the high yield ones and 2 xp per low yield ones.
    Haven't paid close attention to it though so there could be the top recipes could yield slightly more, but none which I have heard of that is even close to gathering.

6. Laurana

Laurana Avatar

Ah. Thanks. Thought I read that but couldn't remember where and I haven't gotten into actually crafting things yet to see how it does since my play time has been really low so far this release. I'm hoping they'll get it right soon so we can have a dedicated crafter character.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  7. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Here, here! It is interesting how crafting reduces the value of items. Of course we do apparently throw away the majority of our materials with each item built as we are very incapable. ;)

With crafting giving no XP it kills the symbiotic circle necessary for a healthy economy. Explorer/Fighters should be the gatherers of certain materials that they can then sell to pure crafters who manufacture the items needed by the E/F players. Definitely an issue that needs to be resolved. Producer XP needs to come from producing, not gathering. Gathering XP should come from and be for gathering only.

8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Jivalax Azon and Sara Dreygon like this.
  9. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

the only way to gain pool points without killing something is to COMPLETE A QUEST... and for a crafter.. the quest can be to reach 3 different HAMMER-MASTER in 3 different cities that can IMPROVE hammer properties and give POOL points ... (I HATE THE IDEA TO WALK IN THE WORLD FOR DOING NOTHING... BUT IT'S NECESSARY TO DO SOMETHING TO HAVE POOL POINTS... )

For example.. on real world: a master chef walk every morning in the city to get best product for recipes.... this is the quest... spend 3 H of life to find best materials... ... i think that a great chef can't improve skills going to the market near his house.

SeleneNoctua likes this.
  10. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

In New York City (IRL obviously...), a lot of good restaurant owners head to farmers markets in town and scout out fresh produce for the day, then send their employees over to buy bulk produce and meats from the farmers selling there. Believe me, doing something like that in NYC requires a very high level of skill :).

Gatsu. likes this.
  11. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Clearly, we need Michelin star reviews for all crafters in game :p

Krohon, Spoon and Gatsu. like this.
  12. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Well, an interesting mechanic for crafters could be - developing relationships for each individual merchant which results in more product availability, and cheaper prices. Perhaps, even, a haggling skill? A quality-speculating skill that lets you get bonuses to ingredients when you buy them? Maybe you have a "likeable-crafter" skill that allows NPCs to sell to you in their off-hours (since the NPCs in Eceter right now wont sell to you after dark, for example).

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Hehe not to mention that a great chef is also paid and his ingredients are paid also. He don't need to level up his bargaining skills :p

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I see your point.
    But I as well see problems there.
    SWG entertainer turned into Jedi at max lvl anyone?

15. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Yes, a crafter has no way of generating cash flow without becoming somewhat of a warrior... Crafting is not a viable occupation. They need a steady flow of xp (gathering requires the crafter to be a good warrior) and gp, like us adventurers get. With cash flow, (and the xp problem fixed), crafting could be something someone wants to dedicate their playing time to.. but I don't know why? :)

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Well in UO nothing forced you to be anything, and there was no XP and everything worked as intended.

I really don't get why we go through all this "new age" fuss. It makes my teeth grind to no end...

Still feels like WoW and not Ultima IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.