why do my attacks get "cover" and the npc mage doesn't

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sway, Feb 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sway

Sway Avatar

i'm sick of them getting clean shots off wile I get "cover" we are using the same spell that is going through the same stuff. why is this happening. makes no sense ??????

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Sorthious and Kara Brae like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Been this way, to some degree or another, ever since "cover" became a thing......

Bushmaster likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is another one of those things that was working correctly at one point and then became broken again.

Stevvcash likes this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Correct.... Like the health bar fiasco

Tamsen, Sentinel2 and Barugon like this.
  6. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

Yep always been there and ignored by the devs. I gave up posting this bug many releases ago.

Tamsen, Stevvcash and FrostII like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's unfortunate because cover could really be a fun aspect of the game instead of frustrating.

Tamsen and FrostII like this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yup

9. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

I was just saying this to myself yesterday as i was getting hammered by mages that could somehow see me but were covered themselves. I agree, cover has some great potential if it works. If it doesn't, take it out until it gets corrected.

Tamsen likes this.
  10. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

They had implemented the Cover System, and had gotten all the bugs out; things like mobs shooting you through floors and things like that. I believe I read something to the effect of "We didn't intend players to get full cover.", as the reason why cover was removed. I understand that if players can get full cover then it becomes an issue which allows players to exploit the game and never take damage. To be fair, you are still getting Partial Cover, though it doesn't say that. If you notice, you will take less damage if your attacker has no LOS. They only need LOS to hit you when they initiate an attack, and no matter where you hide, the hit will find you. I get hit through walls in The Rise, which is super annoying. Not even the columns in The Rise give much cover. I think that the game should use a Partial Cover tag when we receive partial hits. Also, I think the amount of damage we take for partial cover hits should be lessened. I've been hit by Magi for up to 76hps. That's an awful lot of damage considering the mage I was fighting was around the corner of a wall. Anyway, I agree we shouldn't get total cover, but we should get a decent amount of cover for using strategy and making use of the terrain to stay alive.

Hornpipe likes this.
  11. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

You should file a /bug report about this, so @Lexie can investigate.

12. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

It isn't a bug, it's intended. I don't recall where I read it, might have been @Attenwood commented on a bug report regarding cover:

[Known] Cover not working correctly

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Not what we're talking about.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I did file a bug. See my first post in this thread.

15. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Sorry I should have been more specific - if something gets missed in QA, always a good idea to repost it after, if it’s still happening - the more details to reproduce it the better

Barugon likes this.
  16. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Care to elaborate...what are you talking about? The title of the OP is "why do my attacks get "cover" and the npc mage doesn't." I responded to what Echondas said. If you read the link I posted, that might explain why you're report was ignored. The bug was reported back in June, and @Attenwood commented on it. Not sure why you are saying my post is "Not what we're talking about."

I agree, however, a developer already commented on this, and said it was intended. So, reporting it again will get the same response.

17. eli

eli Avatar

Cover is based upon whether you can see your opponent's feet.

If you are on stairs and he is above you on the landing, you will never see his feet and he will always see yours.

If you get up above him, you will reverse this effect, but the AI knows where to go so his shots are not covered so he will move there soon.

If you stand by the tables the NPC spells get cover a lot.

Another nuance is your attack cover is determined at the time the spell hits but for NPC attacks it's at the time of cast. So you can't cover from a shot already in progress.

I wouldn't call it a bug, since it would be easy to cheese every ranged shot into cover if the rules were symmetrical.

Spoon likes this.
  18. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

So, Magi can see my feet through walls now? lol I don't think it's based on feet. I know I read something about this back when there was an issue with rocks not giving cover and a dev said something about the collision box used to determine cover. I will try to find/post it.

19. eli

eli Avatar

Where were your feet when the attack started?

20. Cock of the North

Cock of the North Avatar

Trolls run around and then stand on top of a pillar and then you suddenly cant hit him because he is in cover. because the pillar is inside his body.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.