Why do we insist on pvp Zones?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Stundorn, Nov 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

The player base is going to be segregated, naturally. Pure power gaming PvP types aren't going to generally be spending time hanging out with 2 years to max out their character level role playing types, when I say that, I mean people who WANT to take that long to level, explore and enjoy the journey. I've never seen those groups solidly mix, in the 20 years of MMOs that I've been playing. They make disparaging comments to one another and often dismiss what others say or think, because they often both believe that their way is the only way any game should be played.

I have no problems with this game. I have no idea where you acquired that idea from anything I posted. I'd like to see PvP players be happy, but not so happy that they would ruin my fun just because they can and I don't want to be so happy as to completely ruin their fun either. I've seen a number of posts essentially requesting that every player be PvP all the time, as though one person's interest in PvP must be everyone's interest. It's not, I literally don't care if they took the PvP system out of the game tomorrow and forever ignored that, but... that wouldn't be fair to people who want and crave PvP, whether it's for the challenge or just to try and make other people angry at them.

Why are the ideas I have put forward bad game design? Because you wouldn't be able to hunt noobs in PvP zones? What challenge, risk or fun is that? It's certainly not fun for the noob that is going to be slaughtered and face fees to reacquire lost gear. Yet, that's what you keep saying that you want. Which means, once the game goes live like that, you might see a bunch of noobs in those PvP Zones, but after a short while and much talking/complaining on the forums, they won't be there anymore and you won't see them again, until they are grouped in big teams around level 60 and above and then MAYBE a handful of them when they hit the top levels. Which just means instead of having many viable "ranges" of PvP, there will be primarily, nearly exclusively highest level players in PvP and it will always be a challenge, just a challenge that most people won't see until they reach their "end game".

That's how these things work and how they have worked in MMOs with open PvP areas for quite some time. It's a big part of why SW:TOR created tiers and level nerfing to create more "fair" PvP experiences, which resulted in more people getting into taking part in PvP. That's what got me into PvP in that game. As it stands now? I won't take part in SOTA PvP until I've done everything else, achieved high levels in all the skills, craft several sets of weapons and other gear for different PvP Loadouts and then get into it. That's not going to be for a few years though, if at all.

Man, I feel for your need and interest in PvP. Something's got to be done for you guys, but you aren't going to get open world PvP on everyone, that's just the road to Grief Town and everything else you're talking about is just going to push PvP to everyone's end game, even if they add amazing trinkets that can only be found in the PvP zone. I mean... you'll end up collecting and selling those trinkets, so why should I or anyone else go into those zones until we're ready to?

Stundorn likes this.
  2. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

That's going to take a bit of time to put into the game. I'd like to see something along those lines, but today, with 6 coders and a similarly small staff in other areas of development? It's going to be a while before we see anything like that.

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Yes, yes, the people that do not want to be in PvP (or they would not be in solo/friends or protected) are the reason you don't have people to bring meaning to PvP...

Wrong direction for a fix.

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Not possible.
    Highlevels 100+ can wipe out a whole group of 80ies very easy.
    The math to hit or be hitted and the HP and Focus of a highlevel is much more than the 80 chars.
    With high crits, significant more HP and Focus...
    I have ~ 500 HP at level 75 with Healthy Skill at 80 iirc.
    I am a ohnehit if someone crits or let it be 3 regular hits and i cannot run Shield of Air with only 600 Focus for example.
    Many things here that need to be considered. I also cannot hit a level 100, it's like the T1 mobs wont hit you ever seriously with level 70 again.
    That's one of my biggest problems.
    I'm that lazy RP type enjoy the journey players. But some day i want to be "ready".
    This game ask me to renounce the archetype i build from the classless system and to grind / rush/ or be mentored many, many skills.
    Grind many, many xp.
    It will take years, so many years that i think when i'm ready there is nobody anymore or the ones that are now 5 years ahead are then still anf again some years ahead with gear or skills.
    I always have an issue with pvp what is more about levels and gear than with playerskill.
    Especially for a Roleplayer who wants to PvP and use this feature to make RP more diverse and interesting, because i wouldnt like to only do friendly RP or Tavern and Danceparty RP.
    Nothing against it, but there is more.
    But as long as it is about to endlessly min max and not supporting archetypes etc. it maybe wont be good for me ever.
    But i dont care thst much. I do pvp in other, Arena based games.

Nelzie likes this.
  5. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Congratulations for trying to ape me.

Nothing more wrong than this, main problem is first of all the lack of PVP contents.

Secondly we can find many many others problems, for example: PVP oriented players who pass the day in Friends/Solo waiting best moment to switch mode and ambush others, players taking refuge switching mode in the middle of battle, people restoring protection to taunts others Pvpers or exploiting all this together.

All I have mentioned above is cause No-PVP Players must at all costs have these advantages, even at the expense of the rest of the community and the game itself.

That is why the population has declined and continues to decline. Try to imagine, continuing this way in the end only a dozen of players will stay here.

It does not seem that the beloved aggressive orientation to give to pvm players advantages, we have seen so far, has brought great numbers of players into the game.
    What I could easily notice is that after the changes made to the fall in r46 the pvp community has dropped near to zero.

I really hope the developers will play the card of pvp as soon as possible.

6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

We need switching modes only allowed on OWM, that would prevent people from pvp logging and also make boss mob switchmode killing less interestant.
    Just to say, if it were intended then they could just reduce respawntime, but they increased it.

Antrax Artek likes this.
  7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The flip side, pushing everyone to PvP will draw some PvP sure. It will drop all the people that will not PvP at the same time.

The solutions comes in the form of answering the question "why do people hide from PvP in safety of friend/solo or non PvP flags?" Give them a reason to stay flagged. A purpose to PvP.

What we have right now is open PvP and as we can see it's not as interesting to people when there are things like level gaps and gear gaps.

Taking away hiding spots - not going to work
    Giving reason to not hide - going to work

8. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

You can give me all the purpose in the world to PvP, but... since it is always going to be a game of who has the most powerful and skilled toon... it's not something that I am going to be doing until my toon is one of those most powerful and most skilled toons. There's no point if a large team of AL60 characters will be wiped out by a single level 100+ character.

There's literally no fun in that, it's not even fun for the level 100+ guy, no challenge, just a few fleeting moments to gloat, the scenarios all turn out the same in the end and blur together into a boring series of the sameness.

Stundorn and Mykll like this.
  9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

They could add structured PvP for people of your PvP style. Battle grounds, arena, guild wars, etc...

10. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I would give you reason if this were true.
    It's since I was level 75 that I win quietly easy against levels 100+ and beyond.
    I'm still level 95 and i win near all 1vs1 fights, i did it with every schools or weapons in game and i'm still improving.
    I've just 5 Mastery Skills (Sword, Polearm, Pugilism, Trust and Archery), most of skills are between level 80-90 and i'm still around winning fights vs levels 100-110 and more.
    The raw truth is that to do good pvp in SotA you need so much pratice and real life skills.
    You have to be fast, responsive, strategic, and intelligent.
    And i kept repeating, except for the moon and sun schools, the pvp is perfectly balanced compared to others famous Mmorpgs.

If you're having problem in pvp you can:

1)Change and improve your decks (Don't use many cards, discover what works better locked or unlocked).
    2)Change your gear (Socket your gear with resistance gems, use artifacts and craft better one).
    3)Use different decks for different situations
    4)Pratice more (Pratice is all in shroud of the avatar, keep fighting everyday and you will rule the pvp scene).

You must avoid to:

1)Change Weapons or Schools trying to find the strongest one (There are no strogest classes here, just strongest player).
    2)Complaining versus high level players (The game is skill-based but if your skills are higher they hit harder so more level means more damages, but remember, PvP is not only damages based).
    3)Stop pvping (If you do that you will never improve your skills and you will continue to hate pvp or categorize it as unbalanced).

For any help, clarify needs or testing send me a pm on the forum, discord or ingame.

Bow Vale and Dhanas like this.
  11. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

The people that claim that level 80 can't kill level 100 simply have no clue about the game.

What do you want to adjust next? Everyone same gear and balance that out via shop at the beginning of a battle?
    Srsly guys if you never played a sandbox MMO and how the PVP works in such an environment, you should stay away from it.
    You forge allies, and try to get an economy going in terms of gear and resources needed. XP counts towards that.

Making everyone the same works in an FPS with matchmaking and ELO systems etc. Why do you think our only PVP tourney does exactly that?
    It's just not something that works in a sandbox that isn't especially designed for it.

It will not happen. Even if they put your toon up to lvl 100 you will get wiped out anyhow. I think there have been enough examples of ppl who just
    play better showing how it can easily be done to be viable in a PVP battle. Even faster in a group vs group scenaria.

Antrax is right, PVP needs more incentive as the pop is bleeding out over years because the game is boring easy and there is no incentive to PVP or compete on
    the market/economy. Lack of competition made the game dull so far ;)

IF you can't compete now where it is practically very very easy to level up and get a good setup, you probably gonna struggle once this should ever get populated again and prices
    etc. get up and there is more competition.

PVP zones will stay, and there will be more UO like content in the future once they are happy with the single player part. So if you want that to be good, now is the time :)

Bow Vale likes this.
  12. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

We got that already... NO one likes it. Granted this offers zero reward at all... So yeah same problem here as with everything currently :(
    But frankly I don't think it would help SotA much. If you want a good arena system you need matchmaking systems, lots of titles, perks etc as rewards.

As we saw in the telethon easy things is what they aim for. To make an arena is very difficult IF you want to do it WELL!

Creating open PVP incentives and let players create the content is not only easier, also offers more long-term goals and can be iterated in small steps really well.

Bow Vale likes this.
  13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I agree, structured PvP requires structure and rewards. We have locations for structured PvP but no structure.

This is the sum of it. It's not that people don't know about sandbox PvP. Lots of people do and they stay away from it.

Until StoA gives PvP more than sandbox PvP we will not have a PvP population.

14. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Sorry but you're assumption is just wrong.
    SotA attracted people that liked UO. Check the russian interview or what's currently the talk about SotA there. No asked about an arena there :)

If you think or Portalarium think they can make a form of structured PVP better than GW2.. they are completely wrong. I worked for testing structured GW2 PVP.
    There were plans for E-Sport leagues and investors were already behind the projects, but in the end all had to be scrapped because Arenanet wasn't up for the task.
    If you think a small team like Portalarium could pull something like that off... good luck ;)

The devs already mentioned we will get more UO like content. I am sure we get instances for PVP, but I highly doubt they will be structured PVP like that.

Sandbox PVP is a huge pull factor, especially if you bring UO into the equation. Even post trammel :)

We have player run arena and solo tournament already. Give them more tools to do those. And let Portalarium focus on making Guild conflict and Open PVP more structured in terms of purpose and not a KOS fest it is right now... that is the reason population died down overall.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Antrax Artek likes this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Oh, it's not an assumption. It's historical. Pure open PvP has killed off many games. UO would have died too if the Tram split didn't happen.

It's quite simple. What we have now for PvP puts a wall between people that are PvPing and people that want to PvP. They will level is solo/friends until they are competitive. Since that's a long grind it's /wavebyebye Even still, if they remove the wall or make it sizably smaller, there are plenty of people that will only PvP on level playing fields.

Nelzie likes this.
  16. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Who's asking for anything to be adjusted skills or mechanics wise?

You're asking for open, all the time PvP and at least for reasons why people should PvP.

I have no reason to PvP and if I do find interest there, it won't happen until I'm done doing everything else. I'm not asking for a single mechanic, stat or anything to be adjusted. I have no problem for them to create a reason to draw people like me into PvP, but... with the way it is now? I won't be going into PvP zones until I'm higher than AL 80.

17. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Well just take look at albion. Which is pure sandbox and way way more successful than what we got here? They in fact copied a lot from SotA's initial ideas. Like having loot drops come from player crafted items and the black market. Also the way castles work, was something that was suggested here back then. The devs over there also have an internal discord for their veteran players... just they didn't have to finish a singeplayer game first. What I am saying their success could as well have been Portalarium's, and even more so if they had put more effort into the MP experience. But they promised a singleplayer game as well :)

Ask the people that started their PVP POTs and had KS projects even how happy they are?

Your assumption is easily proven wrong. Check EvE Online, heck even Darkfall UW still exists and the devs there totally messed up their game :D
    Sure there are people that only want to play on even playfields... but they play different games :D
    To make this here possible you would have to come up with a matchmaking mechanism, what about gear?... gear scores? and of course matchmaking in general as the playerbase is so small.

We had so many people here for open pvp... IMHO it is far more reasonable to get them back.
    Again sandbox PVP never killed a game and even though UO split the world, it was as notorious as ever on Felucca :)
    You will have your safe spaces here as well, and if you want PVP on an even field join one of the player run tournaments. They came up with rules to make it even but still its hard to ensure that.
    If ever sandboxes "failed" because they didn't give the people enough reason to play and limited them too much. Just like it was here... rip Horned Society for example ;)

Once we got the singleplayer in a state LB approves, I take a special someone by the word we get more UOish content.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  18. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Sand's Recipe:

Open PVP
    Just two modes: Multiplayer and Single Player Offline with AI Allies.

Players will give shape to the sand in their personal world or in the multiplayer persistent one.

The PVP loot system here is light enough to allow full pvp.

Full PVP = Players create their story everyday crossing those of others instead to ignore them and keep grinding.

The perfect sandbox is based on freedom of action, and i'm not talking only about PVP, we must be free to attack players, guards and npcs too.

Dhanas likes this.
  19. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

<3

I'd wish they get rid of the selective mp too. Would make things much easier for them. But I guess if their open PVP system is good enough it won't matter as those tasks can only
    be taken on in MP.

20. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Okay... the launch video for Joseph immediately talks about a PvP battleground that matches players of similar skill.

IF that's what you really want, why are you so dead against that here?

Also... Portalarium hasn't officially launched this game yet. There's no way to claim success of another game over this game, yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.