Why do we insist on pvp Zones?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Stundorn, Nov 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Can you go into the PvP zones in FO or Solo? If so I don't understand the argument.

2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

King Gariott can do whatever he wants ! Why do you ask me what I'd rather RG do, I don't claim to know whats best... and of course I read too much into things I'm a ultima player, thats how I beat the games not by looking at some wiki.

Why don't you ask me why I'm so ambivalent instead ? It would make for a much more interesting, and funny argument.

Don't tell me either what to do, if you don't want to be told what to do, I'll answer your question since its obviously a trap :

My version of UO history is that I know some cultures hold a very peculiar vision of KG (King Gariott) UO. I have met players from all around the world in UO, it is truely a wonderful thing, KG can and should be proud and not give a **** about what people like me think.

I'm the lucky guy, and I know russians and asians will laugh when we tell them what path SotA has taken, thats my venting bubbling steaming opinion right there.

Of course I'm in the PVP forum, and I'm talking about the experienced players who make a community because they are active communicative and very intelligently organized, and they talk alot. I'm speaking of people who would love to come here to stay and invest many years in this venture, and be loyal to it.

Those players are interesting for a niche game, wouldn't you say ?

If you had moved from that dance you wouldn't be here arguing that I'm wrong and calling me out on this very nerdish subject, that is taboo here btw...

You should turn that molehill into a mountain Ristra, you will eventually get what you want, lets hope portalarium is going to be the ones to provide it, you have liberty of expression here as long as you remain by the rules.

You can be that old grumpy wizard who is looking to get back into his preferred world, and you should be empowered to do so.

Where you see unproductive, I see untapped potential.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

There is none really, portalarium has already chosen and is ramping up for release...

We are pushed into MPO when entering the pvp zones.

I hope they don't bend further than that, or they might break...

4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

At first we could but they changed the PvP zones to Multiplayer only.

My guess is they didn’t have the tech to remove the PvP incentives for the other modes and forcing multiplayer was the quickest fix.

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I hope that is not the case.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

LB said from the beginning of Kickstarter that the reason for the consensual PvP model was to accomplish the same safety provided by the Trammel-Felucca split while keeping PvE and PvP on the same server, instead of splitting it onto two different servers. I'm not sure what the controversy over the Russian interview is.

At any rate, like I've said before, I always thought the idea that people just wanted safety was a bit of a simplification. A lot of PvEers would have even been happy with RP PvP, which may have meant something like coming across players who were bandits or pirates who would behave realistically like bandits or pirates, but unfortunately, this isn't how the game mechanics of UO turned out in practice when in the hands of real players. On the other side of things, a lot of PvPers didn't want to be the wolves who killed sheep, they just wanted meaningful incentives to PvP. Pre-split UO provided this simply by accident because you had PK and Anti-PK guilds, but PKing doesn't need to be the incentive to PvP, it can be something better.

During Kickstarter, when LB was talking about things like "contraband quests" and guilds taking over control points, it sounded like they understood this because those ideas both, 1. Brought RP into PvP, and 2. Created meaningful reasons to PvP . Right now, however, all we have is PvP Zones an PvP flagging, which provides neither of those two things. The result is the worst of both worlds -- because there is no RP in PvP, PvEers still don't want to go into PVP Zones -- and because there are no incentives, PvPers still feel no reason to PvP.

But I don't know that LB was really saying in the Russian interview that he disagrees with that, or that PvP can't be made better.

Nelzie, Mykll and Ristra like this.
  7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You’re dancing alone, living in the past.

I will be doing the dance for the here and now.

SotA is what we have UO pre Tram is not

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I’m still waiting for those contraband quests!

Nelzie likes this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

They have yet to show different scales for each mode. All scenes are the same for each mode.

If PvP zones lost their PvP perks when in modes other than MPO that’d be the best solution.

Stundorn likes this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I know you're not a programmer, but I'd expect you to know this is easy to do, something fishy is going on here.

Even the dynamic scaling/adaptative algos, its easy to program, especially in unity.

How can you react so strongly when I doubt that portalarium has a wrong approach in one particular domain when you seem to doubt their ability to realize the most simple MMO function.

I'm beginning to feel irritated equally by the non diplomatic approach than I am by this quirk of yours...

Now I feel like portalarium shouldn't even have to explain their priorities, I will defend anyone's right to say its wrong, but that is the clearest example I could ever wish for.

Why the scenes don't scale yet ?

Cause thats one of the last things you do, once you have enough data and a complete skill system.

I know, I know... you're not a programmer.

I show exemplary patience since day one, when you challenge my logic I apply all my attention and care, and this is how you reward me ?

We might not agree... but this...

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I rather dance alone...

Disgruntled likes this.
  13. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

While I have been a backer since 2013, one of the first Kickstarter backers at that, I admit that now, 4 years later, I'm actually being active in the game and on the forums. I just lacked the time to commit to all the testing and conversation before. So, many of these topics, issues and questions are all new to me. I don't have all the history on this forum as I rightly should.

I totally get reminiscing about the past. I loved the heyday of UO at the launch of the lost lands, the land rush and only being able to acquire space for a tiny house... I recall having my two toons. One, a Lich and Ophidian slaughtering adventurer and another... a cantankerous crafter who became expertly skilled at hiding as well as recall spell casting.

I fought PKs here and there, but mostly ran and recalled as fast as possible.

Those days had a certain charm and fun, but there's been nearly 20 years time since then. So much has changed, there's so many different expectations and interests in MMOs these days, a game like original release, pre-Trammel UO just won't cut it without adding in so many of those newer elements people expect to see, because so many MMOs have developed elements covering those areas of play.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  14. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Heh... She really wants to play World of Tanks with me and then... maybe, possibly branch out into other games from there. She enjoys Gran Turismo too.

Solazur likes this.
  15. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

One of main problems is the possibility to remove pvp flag or switch game mode immediately after killed someone.
    Most users are taking too much advantage from this.
    An easy solution for me is a long cooldown if you're a PK (Player Killer), you should wait ATLEAST an hour (or much more) before be able to switch again friends/solo mode or restore protection (cooldown could also increase for each kill).
    Also a daily selection between PVP or No-PVP Flag can be interesting.
    @Chris @DarkStarr

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Disgruntled likes this.
  16. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Strongly disagree, if all games were the same then why pick one over the other. The thousands of players on free shards probably disagrees as well, there are tons of MMOs that fit the category of post trammel.

Agreed, this is a step in the right direction and has been brought up countless times.. never seen a dev reply on the matter tho.
    Still leaves them with a safe zone aka overland. Think they have imposed to much limits on themselfs to ever get it good like UO :( Im no visonary tho im a sceptic, which is why im waiting "patiently"

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Antrax Artek like this.
  17. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I have people who want my head and probably would pay for it. I have been in pvp zones for hours without one issue. Just saying pvp is pretty dead so its not a big deal at least for me.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Nelzie like this.
  18. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

They aren't the same, but SO many, especially the more successful in terms of player interaction, have developed a number of features that have rather common experiences. That's not really deniable.

There's similar PvP concepts in STO, SW:TOR, DDO and half a dozen others, with arenas, different types of PvP goals for achieving victory. They aren't all the same in execution, but it would be a real stretch to say that they concepts and theories of how PvP in those games function are radically different.

19. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

20. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Did you just mention SWTOR and pvp? :/ did you play it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.