Why does the Ethical Hedonism Symbol need to be on all the assets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, Mar 15, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

@Spoon I don't agree with anything you just said, and I feel I've already responded to most if not all of your points in previous replies to other posters.

But I felt it important to pull out this quote because I wasn't trying to imply that I had a real life religious conflict with anything going on in the game. I simply stated that my views in real life are different than Richard's. It's a nuanced difference that doesn't really matter here, other than the fact that I'm not planning to join Richard's cult anytime in the future. ;) (that's a joke)

On the subject of can games influence behavior in real life, I think the evidence is clear that they most certainly can. I know many gamer's don't like to hear that, but it's true. For example there are very real news stories where some guy plays Grand Theft Auto every waking hour of his life and then shoots up a police station. Sure the guy is mentally insane, but the cause and the effect is difficult to ignore if you're being honest with yourself. It's like saying guns don't kill people, people kill people. Right, people that just happen to have guns. Does art imitate life or does life imitate art? As interesting as this conversation might be, all of this is off-topic from the OP.

mercster and Womby like this.
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

3. Zader

Zader Avatar

Then it sounds like you need a Kobold Cleansing Apparatus which when used removes the symbol! Possibly coming to an Add-On Store near you for a mere 29.99 :)

4. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

First World problems :rolleyes:

3devious, Canterbury and Jouten like this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well he can probably trade 1 item with the symbol for 3 items of the same kind without it, if that's what he wants ;)

6. Numa

Numa Avatar

La Vey plagiarized the motto of British occultist Aleister Crowley which was "Do as thou wilt, That is the whole of the Law". The word "will" though refers to true will which means making decisions in accordance to a person's true path or destiny in life.

7. Drocis the Devious

Why is no one reading the part where I explain that they're NOT THE SAME?

You can't get a Copper Clockwork Dragon without the symbol. You can get a Silver one, but not a Copper one. That's not the same.

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Ask for a copper one without a symbol to be put on the store :D

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Or they could always make the copper one an exclusive rare without the symbol... its up to them. But there are a lot of rewards items that have the symbol where you can get an exact equivalent without it.

10. Drocis the Devious

Ya know what would look even better on this amazing Leave Shield?
    https://skfb.ly/6o7TY

If that symbol were removed.

mercster, Womby and Stundorn like this.
  11. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Well maybe if you ask nice they'll make you a special set of all the rewards so you don't have any symbol on yours and the rest of us can have the rewards with the symbol. I'm sure they have nothing else to do.

Dame Lori and Jouten like this.
  12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

You're speaking of The Law of Thelma which is:

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will."

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Perhaps if you make patterns of the items you buy, the patterns don't show the symbol.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  14. Drocis the Devious

Nice!

@DarkStarr
    I know this would mean the dev team would still need to make at least two versions of the telethon rewards (one with symbol and one without) but this would be an easy distribution method that is already available. And since the creation of any item without the symbol would occur first, it would just be a matter of capturing that item before the symbol was put on - allowing for the extra pattern - right?

mercster and Womby like this.
  15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

If the symbol was part of the Coat of Arms type system, sure. But currently it is part of the texture for those items. It can't just be stored, it would require two complete item textures just to have one without that one section.

16. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

For the rather small amount if people who would (a) have it, (b) have it, and have a problem with it, and (c) have it, have a problem with it and "need" a replacement, this would be a silly case of re-work for an already busy team.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  17. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Personally I follow, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law."

In game and the world I believe you can't make everyone happy and snowflakes don't last long in the sun so become water and go with the flow.

Numa and mercster like this.
  18. eli

eli Avatar

I think this symbol should be on absolutely everything.

Since we disagree, perhaps a good compromise would be to only put it on certain items, and not all.

Unless you think my opinion is inherently less valuable than yours or are unwilling to compromise?

P.S. I'm sick of having to wear this elven mage robe. Can we remove it from my game plz?

Onyx likes this.
  19. mercster

mercster Avatar

But we can't have Christmas trees, or crosses. Judaism got menorahs, which are CURRENT religious symbols, not something along the lines of "it's safe to use this because it won't affect anyone these days".

EDIT: I'll expand a little on this. Presumably, the reason to omit "Christmas trees" and instead call them "Yule trees" is because Christianity is a current popular religion, and can't be mentioned for...reasons. (I'm sure we can think of other reasons, hmmm?)

So "Yule" is safe, right? Because it's an ancient German religious practice that noone will get upset about.

Yet we have Menorahs. If we are in the practice of "This symbol is too new, we need to go back farther in time", we should have replaced Menorahs with...I dunno, whatever Canaanite religious symbol might have been in use before the Israelites/Judaism became dominant in the Levant.

Why this didn't happen, one can only guess.

I'll also point out that I'm offended by Ayn Rand's objectivism, and by the idea of "ethical hedonism". But noone's asking me, are they.

EDIT2: When I say offended, I mean the ideas are repugnant to me, not "I'm a special snowflake and need to be sheltered from anything offensive" which is very common these days.
    Of course if I am disgusted enough with ethical hedonism, I don't have to play the game. :) But the inconsistencies are pretty...offensive?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    3devious likes this.
  20. Womby

Womby Avatar

Regarding Ayn Rand, I tend to agree with Bioshock.

Duke Avery likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.