Why does the Ethical Hedonism Symbol need to be on all the assets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, Mar 15, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

This is why I separate my real world forum self from in game RP. I don't judge but damn if this isn't hard to follow in conversation, especially when the majority or everyone typically expects fictional RP discussions to take place in RP restricted forums... it's one thing to have an opinion of things from the perspective of RP - but when you use your in game RP persona to argue a point in a real world forum where you leverage real world situations and events... and everyone thinks they're speaking to a real person, it gets confusing pretty quick.

Stundorn likes this.
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Fully agree

3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

No one took my advice... #shockamazementdisbelief

4. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Some people would hit 'report' on a comment like that, as it's a personal attack. Not me. I don't even recognise what you're saying, honestly. I'm one of the most straightforward people around this place.

Certainly when it comes to people going off about a tiny symbol on in-game gear and calling it a blemish and freaking out about it... I'm about as far in the opposite direction as you can get. First world problems.

5. mercster

mercster Avatar

Oh by all means, go for it. It was a joke with a jokey "eye roll" emoji after it, but if you can't take a joke, this is obviously something that needs to be moderated immediately.

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Forum PvP FTW !!!

3devious likes this.
  7. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

in contrast to what, all the pagan and occult symbols that are clearly rapid through out the game? or maybe contrast it with the Christian Symbols that aren't present.

8. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

I am an atheist and am generally against many and most religious symbols anywhere and for just about any reason. It is a game, however. It is a game with a symbol and a tie to that symbol in the games lore.

I also feel there are a lot of people who really miss the idea of what ethical hedonism really is... Seem to be focusing a lot on half the statement without discussion of the other half.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  9. Maus Merryjest

Maus Merryjest Avatar

I think I saw a movie like that once...

Shanna likes this.
  10. mercster

mercster Avatar

Reading this thread is starting to resemble smoking PCP.

Thwip likes this.
  11. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Just make up your own lore on the symbol. It is a game after all, and since you also play as an evil person - your view of the world should be a different one, from all the do good-er Avatars anyhow ;)

mercster likes this.
  12. Womby

Womby Avatar

If I use an item that bears a symbol that is recognised as representing a specific set of beliefs, then it is reasonable that people who see me using that item would assume that I subscribe to that set of beliefs. Since I do not in fact subscribe to the set of beliefs represented by that symbol, and am an honest person, I cannot use an item bearing it. I therefore regard it as a blemish on that item - that's a reasonable response to a mark that renders something unusable, and could hardly be described as "freaking out". Were I dishonest, it would not be an issue.

mercster likes this.
  13. mercster

mercster Avatar

Indeed... @Canterbury , you may personally not feel these issues are important, but you cannot dismiss them for everyone. Some people take symbols, and their actions taken under them, seriously.

3devious and Womby like this.
  14. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Even if they noticed what you're wearing, I don't think the thought process would be very deep at all, lest of all wondering what set of beliefs you, as the person behind the keyboard might, or might not, hold.

I get that's not the way you're thinking it would be but, in all honesty, I think that's more the reality at hand. People just don't think or worry about this sort of stuff, even if you are thinking that they might do.

15. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Speaking as a real person looking at the game from the real world as someone who logs on to play and is trying to understand the story elements as they're introduced...

This thread has revealed the virtue cloak reward to be a conundrum. It glows red or blue (or not at all) depending on what your Oracle awarded virtue score is, yet it displays the symbol of Ethos which is also said to be the real world symbol of Ethical Hedonism. Would it be more appropriate for the virtue cloak reward to glow only blue if its wearer was true to Ethos (virtue) and not at all if its wearer was more aligned with Dominion (anti-virtue)?

16. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Perhaps we should all back up.

We're talking about a so-called ethical philosophy wherein lying to somebody in order to ostensibly "spare their feelings" is considered a virtuous act.

To my conscience, that is an act of cowardice and sloth. An expedient way to avoid social discomfort and "save face" while purporting concern for others.

Just sayin'. :confused:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Shanna and Alexander like this.
  17. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

The authority on what's virtue and anti-virtue is the Oracle... and that thing is a monstrosity presumably created by the Kobold - aren't the Avatars at war with the Kobold?

Alexander and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  18. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

According to the book, the "Titans" created the Oracle in order to retrieve information lost in the Cataclysm that could help them return to their home planet.

According to Jaan [the SotA character] the Oracle appears to have been hacked by the Kobold. She is compromised and absolutely not to be trusted [despite what that "helpful hint" on the loadscreen might say].

According to me [the actual person], this idea of lying as an act of virtue (specifically compassion) actually goes back to the old Ultima series. If I'm not mistaken, Ultima VI to be more specific. For better or worse, the sound rejection of this principle by my own conscience has had far-reaching consequences in my personal life.

For anybody interested, here is a link to a research paper discussing some of the psychological implications of so-called "pro-social" lying.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2864928/

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  19. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Considering the fact that we find giant oracle bugs in K'rawl and K'rul, this would be sound reasoning.

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  20. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Something to muse over :D
    [​IMG]

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.