Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Why does the skill Chaos not have a opposing skill?

Discussion in 'Release 25 Feedback Forum' started by Beli, Jan 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

The opposite of Chaos is... Chaos.

Chaos is the only skill tree with drawbacks - chaotic ones to boot.

You never, ever know if that bolt or teleport is going to work or not, or backfire so heavily that you'd love NOT to have attuned it to GM, when it rips you out in two.

Attuning to Chaos means you're more powerful with its skills *AND* more dangerous to yourself. You attune to Chaos at your own risk - like anything else chaotic.

It's a roll dice, it can critically hit or critically fumble. Attunement is just a multiplier for both events.

Acred, Beli, Amber Raine and 3 others like this.
  2. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

and it comes back to this again. sweet, i knew that topic would come in handy.

as for the mechanics of the skill line (i.e. back to OP). this is basically it in a nutshell. while chaos isn't the opposite of chaos, by definition, it is in the mechanics of the game and that makes perfect sense to me.

i for one WILL be walking that path with my skills, and see where it takes me. *grin*

Acred, Beli, Amber Raine and 2 others like this.
  3. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I think the real question is... What are the opposites for all of the melee skill trees? Don't they all need opposing attunements too?

Sorry, I wanted to be chaotic and really screw up this thread. :p

Amber Raine and Katrina Bekers like this.
  4. agra

agra Avatar

"Why does the skill Chaos not have a opposing skill?"
    Because... the magic system was thought up in 48 hours (or less) by two people, with very little if any Dev+ or Public consultation, prior to development?
    From here:
    It's no wonder magic seems so haphazard. :oops::eek::confused:
    I really should not use the forum search tool. It's always such a disappointment to see how things were 2.5+ years ago, with so much lost potential.

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It was a good first draft, but I agree there's been a lot of lost opportunity. I do however feel that the attunement system was a major step in the right direction, and the question asked in the OP is spot on.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes, though I'm worried about the effects it'll have on mixed magic. Part of the point of spellweaving is combining elements from different schools. One spell between Fire+Water might be a steam spell, for instance.

IMO, lane picking could have been done by making schools of magic differentiated by at least one or two unique reagents, plus encouraged through things like staves that benefited one particular school over others.

I'm not complaining though... I'm just going to wait and see how things go.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

@agra,

Not giving Chaos an opposing school was intentional. As for opposing attunement, the logical thing they could have done if they wanted opposing attunement to was make it reduce attunement from every other school. But I believe they intentionally chose not to do that as well.

Tahru likes this.
  8. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Katrina has it exactly right in the case of the game and how the mechanics appear to work - And yes, it is working as intended. I can not tell you the number of times I have tried to feed myself to a plant in Verdantis while casting chaos bolts at it, nor how many times I have almost thrown myself off the nearest cliff attempting a chaotic leap! Chaos is, its own worst enemy, yet its best passionate lover!

Beli, Tahru and Katrina Bekers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.