Why does this game appeal to you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Northlander, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

1. Richard Garriott
    2. Ultima 6 & 7
    3. Various SotA game concepts

Time Lord and DavenRock like this.
  2. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

Richard Garriott and his natural talent for creativity, and now we also have Tracy Hickman!
    Cant wait to explore this world.

Time Lord, cobran and DavenRock like this.
  3. Last_Crusader

Last_Crusader Avatar

1 - Richard Garriot (seeing him speak at GenCon's of old (early 90s) .. was like seeing a rock star (in a nerdy way))
    2 - Tracy Hickman (I've loved practically everything he's written starting from DragonLance)

Basically the two of them were my geek "idols" during the late 80s and 90s .. anything that they created I put my hands on and wasn't disappointed.

What drew me to them was their ability to create immersive "worlds" .... worlds that had maps .. history .. heroes and villains.

I'm hoping this independent venture and the two of them joining forces will be like reliving my youth from 20+ years ago!

4. DLMyth

DLMyth Avatar

1. Richard Garriott
    2. Ultima 6 & 7
    3. This game reminds me a lot of Ultima 7.
    4. Richard Garriott crating an Ultima type game is A+ for me.

5. Evil Superhero

Evil Superhero Avatar

RG is the main draw for me. My first Ultima was #2, though I bought #1 when it was re-released for the IBM. Played every one of them, and loved them all(even the flawed ones).

I saw RG speak at Dragoncon the last couple of years, and the things he said about the gaming industry and pc games really struck a chord with me. I've been waiting 2 years for this announcement.

Tracy Hickman is like icing on the cake.

6. Chripsy

Chripsy Avatar

Agree completely that RG is the draw for me. Besides starting the frachise of the best game i've ever been addicted to, the mans been to Space, To Space. I have faith that he would want this game to be the best it can be.

7. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

"Lord British" and "Ultima successor" were enough to hook me. I pranced around the house like a little girl on March 8th when this was announced. Really!

Then everything I heard since the announcement - all the game features, the wonderful team, all the info and concepts released - they were enough to make me pledge to knight level.

Ultima fans understand the impact Lord British's games can have. I've gamed since I was 6 or so. I game now in my 30s almost every day. ultima 7 is, without a doubt, the best game I've ever played. Over 27 years of gaming.

Ultima Online was good when it was good. I met people a decade ago that I'm still best friends with now.

SotA is set to be both of those... and more. I've waited 20 years for Richard to make an Avatar game HE is in control of again. I didn't think it would happen... but here it is, finally.

To be more specific - What appeals to me is the potential for a deep character driven story, being responsible for our own adventuring rather than lines and icons to guide us, an open sandbox to mess around in, and so far the community and the team have been a lot of fun and I expect that to continue.

This is Richard's chance to get back in the gaming world as a legend again. I don't think he will screw it up. :)

Time Lord and DavenRock like this.
  8. Evil Superhero

Evil Superhero Avatar

@Dame Lori - SotA was announced the day before my birthday, so this was a great birthday present for me. Thanks, RG!

9. rud3st

rud3st Avatar

I <3 Trammel

10. mccpz

mccpz Avatar

<i>*sigh*</i>...the game is in pre-production and what we know are primarily design ideas and aspirations...give it a chance :)

DavenRock likes this.
  11. Boraxx

Boraxx Avatar

I'm an old school plyer. PLayed Ultima I and Ultima VIII.
    When I heard about SotA though SC, my childhood memories relived :)

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Ramrodicus

Ramrodicus Avatar

Hoping this game is a sort of "UO2" personally. I miss the sandbox feel and pure exhilerating danger of leaving town (and sometimes staying in town)

13. Ara

Ara Avatar

I have my hopes out for a UO2 game. UO was the best MMO ever created and as a old felucca player i still search for a game that could live up to UO.

14. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

Well, I'm looking forward to play a spiritual successor to Ultima IV and VII, that I can play coop with my brother and friends, and find a nice little home in the new continent by Lord British and Portalarium

15. LordSlack

LordSlack Avatar

SotA appeals to me because I trust RG's philosophy, and games without big publisher influence always let the creator's true vision come into focus.

I'm looking for one online game to finally call home. Most of today's have big glaring flaws in either story, combat, customization, or end game. I think RG has more than enough experience in both RPGS and MMO's to deliver what he says he is going to deliver, as well as cater to rabid fan base requests.

I have to say, the level of interaction between devs and players this early in the process is Legendary. This alone gives me extremely high hopes that issues will be discussed and resolved now in development, and well into actual release. You just don't see that Anywhere.

16. Toxic_Knight

Toxic_Knight Avatar

I'm appealed by the fact that I get to play something akin to an Ultima game. I won't lie, the only reason I know about Ultima in any minor respect is that I was drawn in by Spoony's reviews of the games. I loved watching them because it was good to see Noah give a positive review of a game rather than just a terrible Final Fantasy game (make no mistake though, those reviews are great too). And I felt a bit jealous that all these moral dilemmas in Ultima 6, the perversion of good morality into police state obedience in Ultima 5 to a quest of personal enlightenment and true heroism in Ultima 4, and the begginning clash between the Avatar and the Guardian on Ultima 7, and I wasn't able to get in on the role playing majesty. Mostly because I was too young top know them and the last two Ultima games were massive failures that killed the series. When I saw how incredible the stories in the other Ultima games were (gameplay aside) I knew I wanted to try one. I even bought dungeon siege on steam-which forces you to buy DS 2 and 3 for some dumb reason-just so I could play Ultima 5: Lazarus, which had gotten massive critical acclaim. And I got so mad when I realized I needed a physical copy of the game to download the mod properly, meaning I not only wasted $30, but I also realized I most likely will never be able to play Lazarus. But going off the basic story concepts of the games listed above to the ones I didn't list already gave the games an interesting premise for a gripping and fantastic story. So for me: this game will be my first Ultima game, and frankly I want to see and experience what I've missed out on for over over thirty years. (Also I'm a sucker for fantasy rpg's with dark, deep, thoughtful storylines and from what I've seen of RG's work, he has some dark concepts and I can't wait to see them implemented in here!)

17. Propagandhi

Propagandhi Avatar

Ultima Online to this day is the best mmorpg I ever played. And there is a really long list of games. This game appeals to me because I want old school Ultima Online back in a modern engine.

For years I've been looking for a game that comes close to the mechanics and feel of UO. Nothing comes close! Richard Garriott is the man for the job.

I'm keen for a week off work when SotA launches! I am psyched for this game.

18. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

For me:

- Big world, open ended gameplay. I love this in games, unfortunately games with open ended gameplay are somewhat rare apart from MMOs.

- An interesting game world with some steampunk elements. While we know little about the game's scenario yet, I liked about everything I saw up to now.

- The promise of a good story based campaign.

- Companions / hirelings allowing solo players to do most, perhaps all, group PvE content. It means I get to choose if I want to do that content in a group or solo. It also means that I don't have to scrap planned "dungeon runs" if someone else can't show up.

- Highly interactive world, little hand holding. This should lead to a far better immersion than in most recent games.

- Offline option. This works both as a guarantee that I will be able to enjoy the game even if I really dislike the multiplayer aspect, and as a guarantee that I can keep playing after the online servers shut down. Would be better if there was offline multiplayer, though.

- Selective multiplayer. I get to play with who I want, without external interference if I so desire.

- Shallower power progression. I don't like when high level characters become so powerful they can wade through oceans of lower level enemies and emerge unscathed.

- The fully consensual PvP, as long as it's not forced upon players or made so attractive (through rewards) that players feel forced to do it nevertheless. I tend to like PvP as long as it does not interfere when I just want to play PvE (though, and this is directed at RG, when I say "I just want to play PvE", I'm not talking about picking flowers or building my tavern, but about going out and slaying dragons).

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

3 words
    Ultima Online, Richard

20. EVL Treasurer

EVL Treasurer Avatar

This game appeals to me for two reasons:

1. Until the release of SotA, UO is by far the best mmo ever made and I will follow the brains of it to SotA.

2. Richard was right when he said every game made these days are about clicking on a guy with an ! over his head and following the sparkly lines to the monster to kill, rinse and repeat.

Ever since the decline of the original UO I have been searching for another game with that kind of feel.

The search is over. Can't wait for Alpha testing to begin!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.