Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Why is death shield getting a healing debuff?

Discussion in 'Release 52 QA Feedback Forum' started by Mac2, Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

As a magic user, it makes sense to use whichever shield gives you the attunement you need to do more damage, and adjust your other buffs around it.
    I never really used death shield unless I was in 'death mage' gear for the bonus damage, because I relied on the other shields for the relevant attunement and well, they were mutually exclusive.
    If you weren't using offensive magic though, it was really a matter at looking at the "shield" spells, and picking which one sucked the least.

Your choices were:
    Earth: Bonus HP
    Water: Bonus Fire Resistance (avoidance is moot, since it doesn't stack)
    Fire: Bonus minor fire damage (not talking a fire mage here, but a melee person just using it as their shield)
    Air: Uh, ability to deplete your focus pool faster...?
    Death: 25% physical damage transfer to healing

This was kind of a no-brainer?

Why not instead boost the other shields?
    Give earth shield some sort of thorn-reflect-damage-on hit thing
    Give water shield a small HoT
    Give fire shield some sort of defensive capability or something, assume things are gonna get burned if they hit you wouldn't that like, slow their attack speed or something?
    Air - I dunno if there's any saving this one, its extremely situational. I'd suggest reworking it entirely, maybe give it dodge or speed or something.

And lets not forget...we don't have....
    Life shield (gives say, some damage absorb and life attune)
    Sun Shield (sun attunement + small blind effect to things when you get hit or something?)
    Moon Shield (moon attunement + some sort of debuff to things hitting you, when you get hit?)

Sadly,
    As we've seen over and over and over again, with skills, zones, loot, with every aspect of this game, if 1 thing is "good" and everything else is "meh" the good thing is nerfed rather than the meh things being made better. Its pretty much standard operating procedure. I don't see why anyone is surprised.

Toadster and Zader like this.
  2. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

@kaeshiva from a development perspective, it's a whole lot easier to balance one skill and bug test, than to start adding in X amount of features and bug test. Many people have acknowledge it was broken, especially for PVP... so why not fix it?

As I said earlier, you know a skill is broken when EVERYONE starts grabbing it as a "needed" spell. Should be no reason for melee classes to go for it, unless of course it's OP. It'd be fun to see changes to the other shields... but I think it makes more sense to balance the broken one, and then address all the other outstanding issues in the game first.

And my Polearms death dealer uses it... I know how broken it is. I was using it on QA, and the changes didn't seem to make a difference. To be honest, I didn't even notice there was a change until this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.