Why is Sota so WoW Like?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MauganRa, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuchaka

tuchaka Avatar

Alright I am game for some entertainment......what skills are EXACTLY like WoW....you got any examples..... ?

2. monxter

monxter Avatar

So where's the Orcs as a playable race - stretch goal?

3. Dwalin Bombardin

Dwalin Bombardin Avatar

^ gargoyles you mean? lol

Athelstan, Duke NRaas and monxter like this.
  4. selbie

selbie Avatar

So many....badly.... formed....arguments D:

Ned888 likes this.
  5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm a little dismayed if what you get from RG is that he is into gore realisim, and that is what will make this game different.

I, as a fan of his older games, get that he likes to create worlds with interactivity, which some nasty stuff resides in as part of the world as a whole and not is the world.

6. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

you arew right theres many more to it I personally am sick of games aiming for a wide comunity these days, its all about making tons of money and not about making fun games anymore, thats what the mmo scene reflewcts these days all the mmos of the recent years have been very weak and boring I havntr even checked out ESO its a huge flop last I played was SWTCR (star wars the cartel republic)

Dryxaline and Sir Lancelots like this.
  7. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Well, there may be some MMO similar feautures which are standard in the market, but i think SotA is really far away from being a WoW clone. There is so much difference like, housing, crafting, conversations, the different player option from offline playing to multiplayer. You can criticize some current features of this early stage of development, but its for sure not an WoW clone. But anyway, whats wrong with WoW? I dont understand the negative aura of World of Warcraft. This game brought the mainstream into the onlinegamers world and many other onlinegames participate now on WoWs heritage. I've played Meridian 59, UO, WoW and so much other games. Isn't it the fun a game generates?

Jimmy Haffa and Aegis159 like this.
  8. Exodus2

Exodus2 Avatar

Vote for thread deletion.

9. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Well its certainly not like any MMO I have played no vast open world to explore. Scenes that are very small & basically boxed off rooms so constant scene loading screens.
    Empty barely populated towns with a small central cell of activity and then endless rows of player housing & far to many styles of housing to make it even look a believable place each town needed to have certain style of housing not a never ending supply of odd ball looking stuff and now 4 storey tenement blocks. It was ok in UO (early) housing not to many styles and they did not compromise the main Large well populated look of towns,in the wilderness you could easily avoid the player housing.
    I've never played WOW but RG is a BIG fan of it so it will tend to move in that direction over time if you want it or not, making money will be the main driving force of this just like all the others out their and still to come MMO's
    What players want and what they end up with is very low on the priority list. At the moment Backers are king once it launches the reality of a viable product will be the main concern.

10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Yes I am. I would think the bajillion threads in existence would be enough. You think it's too much like WoW and don't like it? That's your prerogative. I could list all the features that set it apart, but I grow tired of it. My suggestion is that you narrow down what bothers you; find the things that are open for change and lobby for said changes with intelligent discourse, rather than making sweeping statements of disgust and calling the devs names. We've already effected several changes with constructive criticism.

Ragnabrock, Asclepius, Ned888 and 2 others like this.
  11. QTIP

QTIP Avatar

how is the crafting here btw? I am hoping that it's 2 part- i.e. Recipes learned that yield the same item result every time as well as completely random properties based upon mats and tools used.

12. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

You have the first part of it (recipes learned) active, but the second (results vary based on tool/material) is implied (by the presence of things like the tools of prosperity, and the statement that they will work the same as items you can craft), but is not yet in the game.

13. Exodus2

Exodus2 Avatar

It's important to not bump these troll threads so that people who may be potential backers and want the kind of experience this games has to offer don't come upon the forums, assume the top thread being how it is "wow like" is accurate, and decide not to back.

I realize this post is a bump to this thread!

Kaisa, monxter and Gaelis like this.
  14. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Crafting is very basic right now (I hope)...everything is 100% success. No varying stats. No ways to add enhancements yet. No events yet. Put the correct items on the table and click craft when it lights up.

I'm really hoping for a UO style properties system because of the variation you found with adding different types of materials. It was simple yet interesting. I generally love crafting...so I am holding my hopes that this system will be much funner once they add more to it.

15. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

I don't get how it's supposed to be WoW-like at all.

1. No classes
    2. Player-based economy
    3. Deck-based combat
    4. No quest indicators/hubs/etc - no playing the game on level-based rails

In what manner is it like WoW? People have swords and magic?

Gaelis likes this.
  16. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

Have you ever played EVE? Its a very interesting game.. The games complexity is the closest to UO I have ever played. Come to think of it - it also uses instances. Its a different genre but if you like sci-fi you should try it.

17. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Well...

-floaties
    -health bars
    -keywords
    -maps are coming
    -restrictive random card combat (with combos)
    -no spellbook
    -journal
    -highlighted everything
    -watered down pvp
    -no real looting in pvp
    -elves
    -reagents probably wont be a requirement (sadly)
    -no genuine discussion regarding Single Player mode
    -frankly no real acknowledgment or discussion from the devs regarding negative feedback received (in particular, combat)
    -no alternative combat system showcased for testing
    -unrelenting focus on housing, pets and decorating
    -elements that I thought were already supposed to be in the game i.e. boats? appearing in the add-on store
    -probably no Inns, sleeping, camping
    -probably no save/restore states in Single Player
    -waiting 45 seconds every time you die
    -rapidly regenerating health

These are the reasons I will not continue supporting the project and will not play or critique future releases or the final game.

I was and remain a huge fan of the single player Ultimas, especially U4, U5, U6, U7, U8.

This doesn't mean that SotA is a bad game. It just means I was expecting something different.

I'll just hang out in the community.

tamino likes this.
  18. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Honestly????

Lets break this down into things that they have said will happen already:

Things that they have already said will NOT happen, and are in there for testing purposes only (this isn't even alpha, remember?):

-floaties
    -health bars
    -waiting 45 seconds every time you die
    -rapidly regenerating health

Things that they have said WILL happen (read the notes on what will be happening in R9, please):

-reagents probably wont be a requirement (sadly)

Things that will be there, because they are obligated to make an reasonable effort to deliver them:

-maps are coming

Things they focused on because they were ONE of the THREE legs this project is supposed to stand on:

-unrelenting focus on housing, pets and decorating

Things that have understandably taken a back seat to more complex development issues (i.e. multiplayer functionality and persistence):

-no genuine discussion regarding Single Player mode

The rest, well, here are my thoughts on those:

Keywords? the original Ultimas had them, and they are something that can be turned off if it bothers you that much.

I don't see how the pvp is watered down, unless you are simply expecting no restrictions (hinted at by the loot concern), and well, they are a company, and that would alienate a massive amount of potential players soon after launch, if not before.

Highlighting? We'll see if they listened in R9...

Restrictive combat? Your opinion, and I can't argue that, regardless of how I feel about it, because it is an opinion. All I can say is I disagree. As for an alternative, there was one: locking the cards, which they are supposed to be loosening their chokehold on in the near future by way of lessening penalties as they further flesh out the primary system.

Boats... would be a nightmare to manage under the current environment, I would think. So, I can understand bringing a very popular idea up as a stretch goal for people to fund directly. Nothing that I have read from the original kickstarter implied you would be able to personally navigate the waterways of New Britannia.

Inns, camping and sleeping: Well, the only reason for the two former items in UO was to provide a safe way to log off... not something that would be necessary in SotA if a player is in a safe area. If your concern is that they be left active in the server until a certain amount of time has passed when not in a safe area... well, why? Sleeping would be difficult to manage in a multiplayer environment, as there is no way to fast-forward the game for everyone while one person supposedly gets a good night's sleep.

Save/Restore points: again, they haven't presented anything that can be tested, so the "probably" says it all...

I can understand why you would not want to continue to support the company, especially if you have a list of grievances that long, but why bother coming back to the forums if you believe this to be so irredeemably lost?

19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Congrats on playing Trammel for 10 years and then coming here to tell people this game looks too Trammel like. Classic.

Normally I don't respond at all to troll threads, but this one highlights how silly the OP really is.

Fox Cunning, Nick, Eriador and 3 others like this.
  20. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

Good to see that there are some out there not drinking the laced fanboy kool aid. WoW is what we have indeed, except this game is worse since it's also pay to win.

tamino likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.