Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Why is this game restricting communications?

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Sire Lancelot, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

Last I heard there will be no global chat systems in place for this game?

I think the current communications systems is our biggest flaw atm especially when you want to create a vibrant community across the globe with different timezones.

Why cant we have a comprehensive communication system which includes global chat channels (help, trade, general, dating o_O etc) and the ability to email (smoke signal call it what you want) players within the game? Seriously do we have to rely on forums to communicate effectively?

If plans are in place forgive me for not doing my research but I am finding it hard to connect and keep connecting with fellow players.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The game will have a regional economy, travel will be limited, encumbrance will play a big role too.

So the point of communicating globally is not only immerssion breaking for some, it's also unnecessary. Sure, if you're a gold farmer and you want to mass advertise your website, global chat would be helpful. But from a roleplaying standpoint it's just "not good" and since this is a roleplaying game...

Luckily there's an alternative global communication tool called "the internet" that is available to anyone that would need it.

3. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

I disagree. Gold farmers can spam their wares on the internet as well. Why would I want to go outside the game to communicate with fellow players within the game? It makes no sense.

The best RPG games on the market have great communications systems regardless of genre. It is a game right?

I am all about immersion but I find the inability to communicate effectively mundane and frustrating when I want to simply message someone. I remember when ICQ was the main form of communication in UO before they improved it so why not integrate now?

At least have a mail system that immolates delivery of mail - messenger boy, smoke signals. anything?

Parallaxe, Leos and Budner like this.
  4. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Communications facilitate cooperative play which for many is a crucial part of playing this game.

Immersion for the sake of immersion, when it destroys or inhibits our ability to reach out and find someone, is counterproductive to the playing experience.

An in-game email system or more robust chat system wouldn't ruin immersion, don't see how it would. We have guild chat now, so there's already a form of this in the game.

5. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Global communication is atrocious. That being said tho, is guild chat range limited as well? For some reason I thought it was global.

And what about party chat? I mean, isn't cooperative game play the crux of this thread? I don't see that being hindered by a lack of global trolling and spam.

6. A Ghost

A Ghost Avatar

Tahru likes this.
  7. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

Okay lets put global communications aside for a moment as I can understand and appreciate the argument against it. What about a basic email system (pay gold and delay the service to immolate an RPG scenario) so I can communicate with a player on opposite time zones?

This is really basic functionality for the longevity of any game.

Has this been debated amongst the Dev team and where are they at with this?

Valdric, Tahru, Lord Baldrith and 3 others like this.
  8. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

Sorry AGhost I don't see the relevance as I am speaking for a time poor solo player who simply wants to immerse and get on with it. This is about effective communications.

But on your note.. I voted no :)

Tahru likes this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

I have no problem with "email" like services. I'd like them even more if players actually delivered the mail. Sounds like a great way to give quests and interconnect regional player bases.

10. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

If it's not more or less instantaneous it would sorta defeat the purpose. Snail mail vs. email, like in RL.

Tahru likes this.
  11. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I agree that a system that simulates snail mail in game would not add anything useful. That would definitely place realism over fun, so no thanks. We are too accustomed to instant information now. Global Chat, however, needs to take an instant dose of lethal radiation out in the middle of the desert and die alone, in agony.

12. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

It would be really nice to have some sort of global channel(s). Someplace where I can shout that I'm looking for a group to adventure with. Currently, its pretty difficult to communicate with a large number of players since everyone is spread across small instances. On top of that, you have to be in the general vacinity to be heard. It would help bring more players together.

I don't really think immersion is a factor since all of the chat channels are optional.

13. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Yes. Or some sort of pairing/matching system for people who want to melee together. Would really help build the community and add fun.

4EverLost, Tahru, Athanil and 2 others like this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

Budner, you're saying that "immerssion for the sake of immerssion" is bad, essentially. I'm saying that this is a roleplaying game and if we don't have immersssion then we're really not playing a roleplaying game.

To me, things that make the game more like Facebook are bad. We don't need instant communication globally.

There was a guy last year that was asking for I-Phone's to be an item in the game. He was essentially asking for his day to day I-Phone use to carry over into a medieval fantasy roleplaying game. So he could take calls and play apps in the game, on his I-Phone. Seriously.

Global Chat has almost no value to the roleplaying world. If you want it, jump on IRC...problem solved.

15. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

I have a problem with electric fences and wind powdered generators so I don't buy the whole RPG argument for this genre and or game. I can teleport a human but not a message? :)

Why not mix old school with new school? You want to milk this game for whats it worth then we have to think outside the box within reason.

16. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Well, Baron, it's a role-playing game for YOU. For me and others, role-playing is secondary or non-existent. But back to the main point .......

Personally I'm as anti-social media as anyone you will ever meet. However I'd strongly favor an in-game system that would enable people to get together (including to role play together!). I'm talking about a tool to help people bond, not a new annoying way to insta-face, snap-book, or tweet-gram each other to death.

I'm not sure global chat is the exact solution. But anyway if global chat breaks your personal immersion, don't use it.

BTW the whole immersion thing cracks me up, I'm sorry. You're sitting a computer in your air-conditioned house, with overhead lighting, maybe with a headset on, traveling through lunar rifts to houses with radios in them. If you truly have the ability to lose yourself in a game while clicking your mouse and keyboard, then god bless you.

17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I've always hated global chat. The only thigns i have ever seen on it are people arguing about game mechanics, trolls, and advertisments. It's super immersion-breaking. If you open global chat, it will be filled with tons of peopel who will no longer respond to Local chat. And trying to get someones attention in a single room filled with a hundred chatty people is a chore.

Sargon, Kaisa, 4EverLost and 4 others like this.
  18. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

The immersion argument is a fickle lover, and can only really hold up in debates that help define a genre. When you start using it for game systems meant to augment the gaming experience, it relies too much on personal opinion. And I fully understand that statement also applies to my utter hatred of Global Chat, but I still hate it. :)

19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I am also against global chat. Hell I am against teamspeak as well. But we have teamspeak and no global chat. My solution is use teamspeak to communicate, or social media to get in touch and keep in touch with your friends.

Raven Swiftbow likes this.
  20. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

I agree but I am also a fan of choice and or options. There is an entire generation who love this function so why not make it available? You can turn it off and immerse to your hearts content.

A help channel can be very helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.