Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Why is this game restricting communications?

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Sire Lancelot, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I am sure that many people want options. The problem is that it is a snowball. We want we want we want we want....... endlessly. Well I dont want a themepark, I dont want goldseller spam or even the ability for them to do it, I dont want people jabbering on endlessly about real life or belittling each other in puplic, crying "he cheated or he scammed me!" "That guild sucks bro!" "Selling gold at *^%#.com for .99/mil." "Man this game sucks why does anyone ever play it". All this stuff I do not want. We can have town halls and places where people gather. We can have our social circles. Why do we have to have a microphone that blasts all the way around the world?

Montaigne, Kaisa, 4EverLost and 2 others like this.
  2. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

Then turn it off and go to the hall and gather with our social circles. It's a simple function?

3. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

And I do, without fail. If it was just the "kiddies" and "trolls", that would end the issue for me. Unfortunately, it also brings with it the gold spammers and power levelers, who use every available means to advertise.

I understand the help channel request, for sure. I hope we can maintain a strong base of investor...erm, I mean pledgers that look to help the community and promote the game they contributed to creating.

EDIT: Let me also mention that if there is no easy outlet for people to break the atmosphere for others, it will direct them into more personal conversation, and people tend to not troll as much as a result. Even in virtual worlds.

4. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I think its important that we understand this game is trying to be different. Is there not enough games out there with all the trolling in general chat now? Come on let us have our peace in ONE game at least. I believe its the intent of the game to socialize in person and have events where people meet up. To play with each other and not just sit at your desk and using this as an IRC. Turning it off does not solve the problem of gold selling. If you want an IRC chatroom there is already one available lol.

5. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Maybe global chat is too extreme and problematic. MAYBE. But shouldn't the game have more tools to enable people to get together with other people and play? Forget the details for a moment. Wouldn't functionality that builds community and fun be a good thing?

So if that premise is accepted - then what's the best way to do it?

How about a Halo or Call of Duty system where you can be paired with random people?

How about a /f chat facility on which you can chat with anyone in your network of friends?

6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I believe the way it is is by design. I have come more toward center in the aspect (not of multi guilding) of different modes of communication. Society/town/guild/clan sort of thing. I am still opposed however of anything that would work in the effect of a world chat. I believe you should be at least in a hex.

7. Gareth Caliborne

Gareth Caliborne Avatar

Ultima Online had no chat other than people close enough to you for you to be able to hear them, and party chat. I don't recall it causing any difficulties.

Only difference is now, people are used to such chats. But just because you're used to something, doesn't mean it's the best or only way. Hell, most of the people I know always turn off global chat anyway, since more often than not, such chats are cesspools of idiocy.

IMO, as long as party/guild chats are available, that's all we really need. Don't even NEED guild chat, but it can be helpful (or also a cesspool, depending on the guild).

8. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Would be nice to have something broader than /g guild chat, since we may know people in game that aren't in our guild. So /f friend chat.

It's funny, this forum is so valued because, in part, it bonds the community and gives everyone a way to convey their ideas about the game. You can make friends here. You can advertise your guild, your POT, whatever. So some of you will build these relationships over literally years before the game launches, but there's no simple way in-game to /f somebody and get together for a dungeon romp?

9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I understand. There are lots of game that make things simple. This game is by design to not be simple I think. From the very beginning they have stated that they did not want to have hand holding and make things easy for people. Its why they have control points. Its why they have encumbrance. Its why there is no recall/gate. I think its part of the intention of the game to make people work and take pride in things other than have things easy and given to them. I for one do not want it to be WoW or ESO. They have these things, I hope this game does not. If I wanted them I would be playing those games, which I am not.

10. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Building a community should be a very high priority. Communications is essential to do that. I don't think making it easier to get together with friends is hand-holding.

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

We can communicate in game, just not long distances. Maybe they can let us send pigeons or something. I would love that, but then we should pay gold for such services.

12. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

The problem I have with any sort of chat is that it pulls people out of game, out of character and lends itself to chatty, high noise/low signal drivel. I can't count the times I've walked into a tavern full of characters who were silent and staring because everyone was in chat making bad fart jokes.

Sure, there should be some avenue for communications, but I'd prefer it to take some effort or cost to discourage its rampant use.

13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Mugly, I think your exactly right. Maybe we should start a thread on "Paying for Pigeons" for global chat. I will have to think on the idea for a bit, but it has been brought up before as a means for mail delivery. Maybe both could be combined for this, at a cost of course :)

14. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Wait a second please. Is it really true that guild chat is range limited or that forum theory?

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I do not know for certain Tahru. I would hope it is. Mabye it would be an incentive for guilds to collect and pay for such a service if it was long range guild chat.

Tahru likes this.
  16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Thanks for clearing that up Ravicus.

17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Lets not forget that this is somewhat of a pledge reward also:

[​IMG]
    Noble's Magical Discourse Orb

A mysterious object that grants you access to a Nobility chat channel. All Game Devs have Discourse Orbs as well and are on the same chat channel.

Raven Swiftbow and Tahru like this.
  18. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

:) I am looking to see if I can find any info on it lol. I have only heard it one time I think and that was in the forums.

Tahru likes this.
  19. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

So the one-percenters can jibber-jabber about their Mercedes and Rolexes. Why not make something similar available for the hoi polloi.

20. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Unless I'm mistaken guild chat is not currently range limited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.