Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Why is this game restricting communications?

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Sire Lancelot, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

global chat outside the game is fine, but when its integrated into the game, theres no sense of locality in conversation. People tend to just discuss things they would discuss on a forum instead of talking about what is physically going on around them at that moment.

If two people are side by side in game and both see a dragon fly by, one person can act shocked and say "Did you see that?!" and the other would feel that connection.
    If two people are jsut usign global chat, one would say "i jsut saw a dragon" and the other wouldnt share the sense of astonishment the first person did, so the connection is lost.

You get the added benifit of feeling like your sharing the game with someone, the use of body language, and other hings that build connections between people and make for a more social experience.

Tahru and Kaisa like this.
  2. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I often wondered when global chat was going to make its way into the game. Shouldn't we have 'some' form of global chat, even if it's just everyone in the city? instead of being global it could be Owl's Head, if you're in owls head, so you can shout. Maybe just a shout feature? Something like UO had to extend the voice. !Hey

Tahru likes this.
  3. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

I totally get your point but these functions are optional - if you don't like it, don't use it.

Tahru likes this.
  4. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

I totally agree! Each instance would be local chat.

Tahru and DavenRock [MGT] like this.
  5. amnipar

amnipar Avatar

+1 for some in-game mechanism for sending personal messages to offline players or a group of players.
    +1 for some enticements to encourage people showing up and socializing in public places, like taverns, guild halls, squares.

To facilitate forming groups to take on some challenges, it would be nice to have a small town that would serve mostly as a resting place and a gathering station for groups entering a particular location. As an example, Deep Ravenswood. There could be a small town at the edge of the forest, with blacksmiths, reagent traders (maybe player vendors in some locations?) and tavern and town square where people could meet and form a group. Maybe groups formed in that place might receive a bonus to encourage doing that in-game, rather than in chat. Then you could enter the woods (or whatever location that is) directly from the town, without having to go through map. And after adventures return to the city to recuperate.

EMPstrike, Tahru and DavenRock [MGT] like this.
  6. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I think there are going to be versions of this at ''choke points'' on the map. Places to rest before going into a dangerous zone. Youre onto something! :)

Tahru and Kaisa like this.
  7. Moussaka

Moussaka Avatar

Global chat wants me to log into the game even if i'm not in the mood for playing

Just for watching the chat and kill some time with a bag of popcorn ;)

- Make it cost some ammount of gold to buy a stackable item that allows sending one message in global channel per item for less spam
    - People that don't like to see it can stay in local chat channel as they like
    - Local chat is always visible in Global chat

I played PWI for 3 years, Global chat was a mayor factor that made the game attractive to log in even if i was temporarily bored and needed a break from the grinding or whatever

By the way, for each Global chat message the publishers earn money in that Game... it is the most insanely Game i ever encountered in therms of how much money some people therew in it, some people could have bought a very nice very expensive car or a house with that money they spent on the gear they have, and it is advertised as "free to play"

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    It already has a price. It is at the lord pledge level. Here is the link. :) https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=35139&open=lord

9. Valdric

Valdric Avatar

Let's call it sending and receiving a letter in the world — RPG-like, with a real use for it to improve communication.

~

Global chat, though... No.

Kaisa likes this.
  10. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I would say don't replace the current system but definitely allow an in game irc client to connect to the sota chat that's on the site! Also 100% want an offline mail system to send messages and maybe deliver items (this would cost gold and require pickup and payment for delivery extra gold to mail to a persons house or bank). But defiantly both irc and offline mail in-game!

smack likes this.
  11. smack

smack Avatar

While I don't think they'll bite and implement a full blown IRC system, I do think in EP2 we might see in-game deliveries (be they items or messages / "letters") between players through regional banks at some cost as another economic sink.

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I agree we do need to be able to get word to someone and I like the ideas mentioned by smack, carrier pidgeons sound cool also. For me so far the chat system has seemed painful. So I was doing a control point and trying to say anything to each other was painful,
    if you died of course you couldn't say hey I'm dead brb because you can't talk when dead and while we were in party talk still can't, but anything we wanted to say to each other was totally between the lines of "'elite large footman hits majoria for say 35 damage" , and then
    having to sift back by scrolling to see what I missed that was said to me and I did miss something.

It was a big hustle and bustle. Our regular communication system needs work, lots of work. If this is our communication the one we are going to have for a system don't make it so painful, let me see when
    somone is talking to me, even if it's a whisper. How many times has someone ran past me and not seen me , but yet I wanted tot tell them something, so I say ok I will just whisper it to them, but are they gonna see my whisper because a zillion other things are also going
    on in that chat window like an NPC saying where are my apples. So I believe good points are being mentioned.

Also perhaps regarding finding groups etc as budner mentioned that too could be a function of our central work order board. You could post a note up saying you are looking for a group or looking for information. I am also am
    not opposed to vent or team speak for groups most who have done much online gaming have used these for their guilds or sometimes invited others to chat with them here and there. I'm sure I will
    speak with others that way also, but that is not the point I was trying to make.

My point is that we do need an improved communications system and it doesn't have to be global chat, it could be as mentioned above and by others.:) One that serves our needs, it can be special to our game.:)

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  13. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

My feelings exactly. Global chat usually turns into a glorified Internet chat room which, for the most part, provides nothing in terms of an actual game experience.

Tahru likes this.
  14. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

I think it's brilliant that there is no global chat. It would be better if users simple would be able to do their own and talk with friends there. In most games global chats are mostly full of useless spam and gold sellers, and other adverts!

15. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

I don't think a 'shout' feature should be implemented. It's just going to be too tempting for the immature players to abuse. I think a zone-based general chat channel would not be such a bad thing to enable players to connect with each other better...however...in order to deter spammers a bit more, you could maybe be required to actually purchase or quest for an item that allows access to a local chat (I think Tibia had this and it was a bull's horn or something). You can't see or speak in the channel unless you possess it. It could be like...'Town Crier's Horn' or something of that nature.

Also, for folks who are concerned about the chatter cluttering up their chat window or ruining the immersiveness...simply uncheck that channel from the tab or move it to another tab.

Edit: In going back and reading a few of the other posts, it seems like some don't realize the above feature already exists. Click on the little yellow arrow on the chat Tab. Uncheck what you don't want to see. I.E. combat messages. Make another tab by clicking the + . Check the combat box and whatever else you want to see in the second tab. Clutter solved.

16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

We can all run into the IRC and global chat with eachother.

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.