Why It's Good To Be A Victim

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Zifnab Strongarm, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zifnab Strongarm

Zifnab Strongarm Avatar

The fun of being a victim is in the fact that you can develop a real sense of personal hatred for your enemy. Sure, organized PVP is fun, guild wars are fun, but there's nothing really at stake other than your pride as a player. If someone takes something from you or kills one of your friends, what better reason can you come up with for hunting them down and killing them?

When you feel that sense of loss and the associated anger it gives you a reason to play the game, get better at the game, and rally your allies for assistance.

*I posted this in response (slightly edited) to a comment on another thread, but I feel like it deserves its own thread (separate from the stealing one, and more specifically on the topic of world PVP).*

Thoric, fan.of.devin, EWHART and 6 others like this.
  2. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Excuse me if I don't want to play a game where anger and hatred are the reasons to play. That's why I don't play First Person Shooters on Xbox Live.

The Fox can never convince the Deer it is fun to be eaten.

3. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

The reason I play the victim is so I know who is good or evil in the game.
    The PK's kill you and the good players help you.
    It's a great way to find a guild to join.

4. Zifnab Strongarm

Zifnab Strongarm Avatar

But the fox can convince the deer that it's more fun to be a fox

5. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Not likely. A Deer eats grass and have not the teeth for eating meat. Being a fox is foreign to them, and just having the fox around will make them flee.

Some people like parachuting; many others don't. Pushing one of the don'ts out of a plane rarely convinces them otherwise. People have different preferences and tastes. For example, you can never convince me that hate and anger are positive emotions that lead to fun in a game. I am sure some people might enjoy them, but not me.

6. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Not all of them, the others will just leave and play something else.

Then you have a deathmatch PVP game with RPG mechanics attached and a world full of combatants. And no victims. It is basically a world-sized PVP arena.

The only way you're going to get "sheep" or "victims" to play the game is if you trick them into playing it by lying to them, and maintaining a high player turnover to keep the murderers happy.

Good luck with that. =P

7. Zifnab Strongarm

Zifnab Strongarm Avatar

First being a deer is why I became a fox.. I developed a taste for meat, and my carnivorous teeth eventually grew in. (I won't retell the story here because that's where the OP came from).

If deer want to be rid of the fox, they should recruit a hunter or avoid the foxes' territory.

blaquerogue, TemplarAssassin and Ara like this.
  8. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

And we should of all of seen this video by now.

This is what happens in PVP if you join a guild and have friends around to help when your in trouble.
    Makes for a fun day I think.

9. Zifnab Strongarm

Zifnab Strongarm Avatar

I'm not advocating rampant, repeat victimization of unwilling combatants... People should be given the space to play the way they want to, and free from attacks if they choose to. I'm just saying that there should be a space available for people to play this way as well, even if only to try something new.

Ara likes this.
  10. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Honestly I'd list a post like this as a great reason for hunting someone down and killing them. Being the prey is NOT fun. Ever. Pretending to be the prey when you know you can jump over to your PREDATOR whenever you want is a little game. Some might find that game fun. Imagine however, if you couldn't. Imagine the fate of those who don't LIKE being the predator, who find it a chore, if they are good at it at all. In this vision, they are offered the chance to be prey, with the compensation that they get to be prey. It's a lot less fun.
    Dunno if you listened to the commentary, but I heard a very telling comment: "CAN they help it? No, it's too late." For many this is how it feels. Too late. Does it matter to me that I can call for help from my guild and they will come kick the bad PK's butt for me? Nope. What matters was the beating I just received. Those who LIKE mass PvP, they have fun with this. Why they cannot get that those who don't want constant PvP are NOT just narrow minded or immature, but just DO NOT want it, I don't understand.

11. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

There will be. But there will be no reason to convince the people that play there to be a victim. They will be there by choice.

PrimeRib likes this.
  12. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

All I'm asking for is a mode for this style of play.
    In UO I was the that little calf getting killed but it was nice to have friends to come and help.
    Plus you got to know who were the good and bad guys.
    This built a strong community when players packed together to help each other.

blaquerogue, Ara and Zifnab Strongarm like this.
  13. Zifnab Strongarm

Zifnab Strongarm Avatar

There is a reason... What if the blacksmith gets weary of smashing the anvil and has a new sword he wants to test out?

What if the PVE guy has completed all the content he cares to complete?

Both of these players might venture into the danger zone, and will most likely become the victims. If they don't actually lose anything, then they have no reason to return to the fight. That's where the fun comes in. It's gambling. You want to earn that money back from the dealer, even though you know the dealer always wins.

14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Just for the record, THIS IS NOT UO! ok continue on....

15. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

GENERAL FAQ
    What is Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues?
    Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues is a computer role playing game created by Lord British (aka Richard Garriott), creator of the genre defining Ultima series of computer games, and Starr Long, director of Ultima Online. It combines the rich story of the single player Ultimas with the deep multiplayer EXPERIENCES OF ULTIMA ONLINE.

blaquerogue and Ara like this.
  16. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Your reasoning is flawed for the same reason that of many open PvP advocates is flawed. It carries the assumption that PvP is an "end game" and that competitive gameplay is what everyone wants. It's not. It's sort of like why some people prefer building things in a god sim rather than destroying them in some action game.

Even the FPS genre figured that out years ago. That's why you can play co-operative multiplayer FPS games with friends rather than just playing UT deathmatch games.

And on a side note while I'm bringing up FPS games and other genres - other games do competitive gameplay far far better than any MMO does.

AuroraWR, Ned888 and MalakBrightpalm like this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

yes, but Richard does not own the IP to UO. Hence he cannot recreate UO! It has to be something different! sheeesh!

Time Lord likes this.
  18. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Your post ALSO assumes those players will lose. When this PvE guy ventured into PvP, I ran about 50/50, which wound up being more like 98/2 once I had a chance to see how it worked. I see nothing about PvP that actually makes it harder than high end PvP. Hell, I can compare some of the players I've fought to random field mobs, they gave about as much of a fight. I've never faced a player that was as nasty as tanking a raid boss, though.

Except that both Richard Garriott AND Starr Long have said in no uncertain terms that it ISN'T going to be UO2. No matter how many times people call them to task or demand onemogain, this game will not be a repeat. Give them the chance to make something new, will ya?

Silent Strider and Phredicon like this.
  19. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I'm not the only one going back to UO.

20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.