Why make a CoA? What I told my friend.

Discussion in 'The College of Arms' started by Canterbury, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I had a friend ask me, "Why make a CoA for SotA?" and I pointed out to him that:

1) It's fun. If you take it at least somewhat seriously and work with classic designs, you'll learn a little bit about heraldry while you do it and, at the end of the process, have something nice and unique to yourself.

2) If you are a founder and have the 'Virtual Collector' package, or above, you will be able to use the CoA in the game on shields, tabards, flags, etc. I'm not sure everyone realises it kicks in at that pledge, though.

3) It makes a great avatar for the SotA forums, or wherever else you might talk SotA, like your guild forum.

4) It means you get to interact with the College of Arms volunteers who are, frankly, some of the nicest people getting around on the SotA forums. I love the work you guys do, and I love the passion you do it with.

Hope this helps! :)

2. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

Is that asserted somewhere? I watched the entire 1 hour vid from last October and I don't recall mention of that limitation. It sounded like the feature would be open to all, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if I missed a one-liner to that effect.

If that's the case though a bigger, bolder notice should be posted so as to avoid folks developing a C0A and then being disappointed they are limited to using it on this forum.

3. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Well, the line about it is certainly listed under the founder rewards at the 'Virtual Collector' level. To my mind, if "everyone" can do it, why would they list it as a unique reward there if it wasn't one?

This doesn't discount something else being in play, or the plan being changed (but not the website), but, as far as I can see -- based on what they are telling us -- it's a founder reward at the 'Virtual Collector' level.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

It is stated here.

But, Lord British indicated that he'd like to see the ability to display a coat of arms spread to more people.
    So, it does no harm to make one now.

I agree there should be a bigger, bolder notice, but that's in Portalarium's hands.

skinned likes this.
  5. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

Always one step ahead of me...

6. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

Are you referring to this FAQ? It mentions a future generator, but I don't see a "this is only for founders, all others need not apply". :)

7. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

You know what, I totally missed that "founder" part. I need to stop posting in the morning.

Point taken. I'll just be deleting my post to avoid creating further confusion...and letting Frank stay one step ahead...:oops:.

Worth adding to FAQ IMO.

8. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

Interestingly, I (who am a backer, not founder) do not see ANY mention of heraldry at all when I click on that, so maybe you can appreciate that we, seeing different data from you, may not be on the same page (literally). :)

9. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I had no idea everyone doesn't see the founder section of that page.
    They list it as Custom Crest In Game.

So, absolutely, Portalarium ought to post something where everybody can see it.

10. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

So if you are scrolling down the list of goodies in that package, it literally ends at the Exclusive Title - Archivist reward? It doesn't list all the additional founder rewards if purchased as a founder?

While it seems you can't purchase as a founder (and we can change that, if you like, just hit one of us up to help you!), I would have thought at least seeing what a founder can buy would have been there...

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

Precisely.

Now I hope you can understand why I had to ask the question in the first place. :) Sorry to have derailed your thread.

12. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Nah, it's fine. I'm just glad we might have uncovered something for you, and maybe other folks, with regard to this topic. If you can't see it. you can't be expected to know it's there! :)

Time Lord and skinned like this.
  13. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

@Sunsanvil for your own reference, this is the kind of stuff we see below where your page stops.

You can see the mention of the custom crest a few entries down. You can also see our page ends with the 'Royal Archivist' title down the very bottom.

[​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  14. vjek

vjek Avatar

From Kickstarter (public).

March 27, 2013

Tier Reward for Virtual Collector (and above):
    No mention of a Founder requirement, that I can see.

15. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

The clue is in the price. Only a founder, at the time of the Kickstarter, or until April 7, can purchase that tier for $100.

Time Lord and tradyblix like this.
  16. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

Its the first puzzle-quest of New Britannia! :)

17. vjek

vjek Avatar

Just sayin', no mention of it on Kickstarter.
    What is on Kickstarter is what was funded with the kickstarter process.
    Deviation from that will be met with a negative response, typically.

LoneStranger likes this.
  18. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Anyone purchasing at the time the Kickstarter document was written would have been a founder, thus there's no need for it to have explicitly referenced otherwise. To go back now to an old document that was written for founder purchases, requires a little more 'grey matter' than taking it at face value alone. Like I said, the answer is in the price. Someone at Benefactor level cannot buy that pledge at $100 - it costs them $110, so that would be the first red flag to realising, "Hey, these might be founder prices, and items..." if, indeed, the fact it's an old document, written at a time when everyone was a founder, hadn't already tipped them off. Besides, why wouldn't they be looking at the game's website by now, anyway?

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

Whats even more interesting is that I hadn't given the whole founder-upgrade thing a second thought because, from my perspective as a backer (with the data available to me), it only looked like a $10-$15 savings on the pledge level (though I grant you the words "additional perks" was brandished), so I figured I'd just save my cash and upgrade later maybe.

Having your own CoA in game though, THAT is worth something!

skinned and Canterbury like this.
  20. vjek

vjek Avatar

Hypothetical situation:
    After April 8th, 2014, Citizen of earth, browsing projects on Kickstarter, finds SotA, sees the Kickstarter reward for Virtual Collector, pledges, and finds they don't have the Family Crest reward.

That seems like an issue to resolve, but hey, I could be wrong. :)

It seems like a potentially confusing point, and it's not clarified anywhere, publicly, at the moment.
    There's nothing that states "You will not get the Kickstarter reward of the Family Crest". Nor why that is the case.

At some point from Kickstarter -> Pledge -> SotA -> Payment, any exceptions (this one included) should be made clear.

Adiun Tesserande likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.