Why no pvp fighter should flag with the propose ransom changes.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Andartianna, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

You are correct 3devious though that comment was addressed to Vallo and not you. What makes them listen is a lot of emails from a lot of people.

2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

The majority of players playing this game is not relevant at the moment... they are the minority of backers. Thanks for playing though and testing.

3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

People say pvp in UO was better but the only difference was that instead of flagging pvp, you just killed anyone and couldnt enter most towns as a result.

PvP in UO had 2 rewards. Loot, and title. Those are the same reward shroud pvp offers, but instead of being punished by being banned from towns, you just opt in or out at will.

One thing is people dont seem to like getting gold as loot (i do .-. Its far more versitile and lets me choose what i win from a fight rather than gambling on something random).

Other than that, i dont see any difference in reward between shroud and UO when i played it

I forgot about factions, but i believe theres a similar planned feature for shroud. But pks were abundant befor factions in UO

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  4. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Back on topic now. There is no current reward to pvp. Just all risks so it would be nice if we had something to work for. Gold from other players is actually not a reward as it actually takes from the economy. The player then has to spend time pveing to get the gold to pay for ransoms which then stops them from pvping. Players that are fleeced by players while they are in the bathroom or afk for a moment then have to spend an inordinate amount of time remaking the gold pveing so they can pvp. So increasing ransoms just makes the problem worse. Less time pvping more time pveing. The so called reward of experience for being daring is turned off at the cap so no reward for that and it is offset by the amount of time you are pvping so in a sense you gain no exp bonus and in many cases loose exp. So as it stands there is no reason to flag pvp as there is no rewards for doing so. For those who enjoy fighting other players there are ways to do so without flagging with out the risk. So why should anyone flag pvp?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  5. 3devious

3devious Avatar

It's terrible to have to pay 10k to get your artifact back, is that too much or too late? I am really cheap and wouldn't pay 10k for anything. I can see how someone would ragequit but I live in a safe P0T and don't leave the house with anything I would ragequit over losing. I picked my founder Lord house because the front door had a vestibule thinking a thief would have to pick 2 locks to gain entry but the side only has one door. So much for operating as if flagged to practice better security.

6. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Leave your personal attacks to yourself. You have clearly shown that you backpaddle everytime your arguments get taken apart :D

As we have stated earlier in this thread PVP incentives need to come from mechanics. I saw the XP buffs as a short term reward to enable PVP at all.
    Those mechanics we will not see until Q2 unfortunately.

Again to raise the point on ransom again. The risk vs reward balance with the current and old ransom system is not there. If you bring valuable equipment into battle, you should get a higher ransom.
    I would be willing to debate the amount of the highest ransom, but adding a metric to differentiate between newbie gear and high enchanted gear is necessary.
    Same goes for values for stealing or the ransom in general. Death in PVP should have a cost to counter a lot of factors associated with spawning into enemies repeatedly... That are all no brainers in game design for OPEN PVP. The open PVP system needs structure to prevent the dayZ feel though. Again not before Q2.

Now if we get into instanced battles, castle sieges and so on, which are on the road map.. I am sure we won't see a ransom there as it would be questionable and your point is valid there.

But then again if someone ragequits over 10k in this game, he should not participate in open pvp. If you want to make Open PVP fun for him, you alienate all the other people. That is what happened in SotA and they are trying to fix now. This guy should play arena or any other instanced conflict we might get in the future and which is on the road map.

7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

yea... I can do that, but there is no way portalarium will think like you and DLUB. It's just a place holder, besides you conveniently skipped over my argument :p

Your arguments are that people want this and that nerf this but not that... thats whiny people who did not take the time to construct an argument, and don't be surprised when they don't take you seriously cause you disregard their effort.

Like it was your business to filter feedback, meh :p

good morning btw.

8. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Yah seriously 10k is ridiculous. The ransoms should be capped around 2k or the equivalent to 15 mins of pveing max. Raising it higher essentially means you have to pve for hours to make up for one death which is a terrible idea. Why would anyone want to make it harder for people to enjoy pvping if they want to.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I had to re-read it thrice to realise how against me you went without realising I was arguing from the same base.

would I have mentioned DLUB otherwise ? think harder :p

If I don't like something and another CHOICE (like friends online) is possible then you bet I'm going to push that feedback with a vengeance.

I want players in our world, LOTS of players and choices and flags do just that, you can have your fun UNCHANGED with the hardcore flag I talked about. Don't be a child...

You don't sound like you have dealt with such people since 1997 anyways... tell me how you're a pro :p

10. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Not actually a personal attack just repeating what you said. Here is a direct quote from you.

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I dont think consumables should be ransomed at all. They should just be lootable without buybacks.

If you kill somone you should at least be rewarded with a stack of regs or potions or food. Then you can lower gear ransoms to a less punishing for the victim level.

Vallo Frostbane likes this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Recheck your like, vallo. I tend to edit my posts immediately after posting >.>

Cuz my thoughts are never complete while typing .-.

13. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Still fine for me. ^^ 10k for an artifact is not too much I think. But I guess everyone has their own limit there. I would in fact punish higher level gear harder as newbie gear. But 10k seems a good max ransom.

14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Sorry Vallo I usually agree with you being a siege perilous and full pvp shard player for over 20 years...

I usually spend all my playtime doing pvp...

Here I stayed flagged for a few weeks, but the mechanics made so much nonsense that this will be now the 5th "feature" of the game I boycott for moral reasons.

So I took the time to read the rest of the thread to find that everyone ignored my suggestion to make a two tiered PVP flag... so that people who like it like it is are enabled and so are those who would like a more virtue guided experience.

What it isn't is how Halfwitte says it, black or white, do or don't.

This is a hybrid, and will continue to be developed like one.

Speaking of hybrid, the current funding model is perfectly fine for the game to "survive"... if you think that portalarium isn't loyal and would abandon on the first sign of trouble, you clearly underestimate their virtue.

It's one thing to say "this isn't the spiritual successor" and another "they'd let the game die if it isn't profitable according to predictions" :p

15. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

10k would be just for one of the items the total ransom may actually be even higher. What you have to think about is the average gold per hour most players make. If the ransoms are too high it makes them have to pve unflagged to make back the gold just to pvp and die once which is a terrible idea. The more players actively pvping for a longer time the better. This is because I want to actually have people to fight and the way the system is right now no one would want to pvp in open pvp there is no reward. I'm not getting any reward from flagging. I get throttled on exp with the 10% bonus and gold is completely worthless to me. The only thing enjoyable is the fighting but all flagging does is allow pick pockets to have their way with you. It's like a loose loose situation.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

@Halfwitte please explain to Vallo how people shouldn't pvp with artifacts please :p

and especially how people who think this will prevent them from flagging should actually stop PvPing ? :p

17. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I am not saying they are giving up.. In fact they have been very appreciative on feedback and are fighting for success. :) But they also know they have to make money at some point.

I am not sure what your two tiered system looks like... Ill look it up.
    But as I said arguing about incentives to flag "needs" to wait till we get more info on what systems they plan on. I mean ofc we can discuss things like factions, good vs evil etc... but that has been done time and time again. We need more details. I know they plan on sth but it will be in Q2 earliest. Meaning true "endgame" content will come after release.

Maybe then the flagging system makes sense and conflict becomes more manageable for casual players too.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  18. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

@Ahuaeynjgkxs I do like the two flag idea. Where all the pick pocketers can be sanctioned to their own flag and people that just want to fight can fight.

3devious and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I think your arguments would have a sweeter taste with a liiiitle bit less extremism... thats not the only thing flagging does, it actually depends on proficiency in the game. Some players sure know how to handle it, however we're arguing in favor of low level and mid level players here, correct me if I'm wrong :)

20. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

To me it will be important to see the ransom value of my gear to decide if i take it with me or not.
    Lets say i only have 12k gold and one of my better equip is ransomed, but it's 15k gold.
    If i know before, i can let it at home.
    So please add ransome value to everything that can be stolen or looted.

Antrax Artek and Vallo Frostbane like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.