Why no "game features" forum about "exploring" and "dungeons"? ? (Dev

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by eobet, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eobet

eobet Avatar

It saddens me that the only game where you have to pack torches and food and plan ahead for a potentially very dangerous and long journey, just like in Ultima 4, is today... Minecraft.

I hope this game will bring back the perilous dungeon delving of old, and that forums will soon open to deepen the discussions on those topics.

You characters in this game surely cannot go on without food and sleep, right?

2. KFC

KFC Avatar

3. Valandur

Valandur Avatar

We tried to add some details like needing to pack food and drink before you set out adventuring in another game being developed and you can't imagine the yowling and screeching! So many people have gotten spoiled by handholding games being put out today. It's a huge challenge to get a game that has the detail like Ultima 4 did in today's market.

I'm really looking forward to an in depth storyline that makes sense. An immersive world where you lose track of time playing. ;)

4. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

You would be looking for the "Quest" sub-forum. I'll just more that over there. :)

5. eobet

eobet Avatar

No! Exactly wrong! This is precisely not about questing. This is about going out exploring, above or under ground, without a goal and not knowing how far your food supply will take you.

The free roaming open world is what set Ultima apart from ever other game where you had to follow a quest, or never worry about food and light!

That is why I asked for forum sections dealing with this topic.

This discussion is basically anti-questing.

6. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

I think that "questing" in this context means "going on quests" not a "quest log FAQ". Richard G mentioned in one of his interviews that there is no quest log. There's a journal, but no quest log.

I think this forum is exactly what you're looking for :D

That said, I'm totally on board with a food and light system.

7. Fluvius

Fluvius Avatar

I agree with tekkamansoul!

8. bethor

bethor Avatar

I'm fed up of bloody ! marks and ? in games.. If EQ was graphically brought up to date I'd probably play that till the end of days.

It had exploration...it had adventure and peril... it just sucks visually these days hehe.

The joy of EQ and of course UO was YOU made your own stories most of the time. The best memories are of things other players did, not a particular part of a pre defined crappy 'quest'

Actually the word 'Quest' is the problem it has been perverted these days in the same way the word 'Gay' has been... Gay (no offence to any homosexuals here, love ya) used to be a word used to describe just a happy person or place to be...not an individuals sexual inclination. In much the same way a Quest used to be something epic to do, something that took days or weeks to finish, you had to ask real people for clues and search through lore and stories, gather maps and information... and they had a fulfilling reward, not just an Item but a sense of achievement without that achievement being a pre designed in game 'badge' just to add a time sink.... it was personal. It was a journey of discovery and exploration not as it is now where you run out..kill, find or deliver something and talk to the next NPC on the path to boredom...

Please lets not go down that path of Boredom...

K

9. randomonium

randomonium Avatar

+1000 to Kaylon and all - I am SO tired of the kindergarten quests, the giant bouncing glowing things above people's heads, the non-interactive NPCs, the formal 'go here, do this' quests, the lack of even basic consequences for actions, and the rigid 'story on rails' format.

As an example - I played the Neverwinter beta this weekend. That is the most disgusting example of handholding (it even has a glowing trail to help you find the right quest items), lack of freedom (you must search through chests - but can only interact with them in rigid order), and the total lack of NPCs. The characters who aren't quests aren't even given basic 'Sorry, busy' type lines!

I've been playing these games for decades, and I'm so fed up with it. I truly think that a thinking person's game like Ultima used to be will completely *own* the niche market that is composed of the thinking and intelligent.

The rest want games that are less well-thought out than an old Choose Your Own Adventure book.

10. skalrynd

skalrynd Avatar

You know the game is a good RPG when you find the necessity to keep a journal. The quest journals that tell it all for you steals the player of the reward that comes with discovery and accomplishment.

The material cost of travelling is food. The material cost of dungeon delving is light. Merchants should only buy/sell so many hides. Etc.. These are simply a layer of difficulty that's not only challenging but rather realistic.

11. randomonium

randomonium Avatar

Interesting point Skalrynd - I loved that EQ had a 'glut' model of vendor loot items - when you had just too much of something, they simply wouldn't buy it, or at least not give you much for it.

If memory serves, that is - it's been a long time. I'd love to see something like that, however, where if I want to offload 500 'rat tails' or whatever, I will quickly hit the point where they're worth virtually nothing until some time has passed.

12. Ieolus

Ieolus Avatar

I would love to see a real economy based on supply and demand... maybe certain towns/merchants have their own resources where supply is high where you can buy stuff and make money selling to another town where supply is low.

13. randomonium

randomonium Avatar

Love that idea Ieolus - I often like games where I can function as a 'go between' or merchant adventurer/caravan type.

14. HolyKnight

HolyKnight Avatar

I hope it has truly open dungouns like Ultima Online. I have fond memories of places like the Bone Knight room in Deceit. Open world for that matter... any kind of instancing is a horrendous idea for any kind of mmo, which is what this will ultimately end up being (I pray.) *Prays for UO2* Hehe, can't wait to try it... but not sure what to expect. Diablo 3 was a huge let down. WoW was too childish, no housing, stupid auction house, and instancing (not truly open.) Praying for some greatness to come along once more. Until then, I'll be on Pacific with my family killing dragons, daemon, and selling essences. :*(

15. ReleeSquirrel

ReleeSquirrel Avatar

I liked how in Ultima 7, the Serpent Isle, you went to an arctic area and actually had to wear fur coats and such to keep warm. I'd love to see that sort of thing in the game! Not just fighting monsters, but REAL "Player versus Environment"!

16. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

+1 OP and +1 ReleeSquirrel

I was thinking about posting the environment conditions stuff from UVII SI msyelf. But it is here :)

17. randomonium

randomonium Avatar

That environment thing was AWESOME.

Actually, I like instances, since having a million mobs spawn behind you just sucks (and is unrealistic), as well as kill-stealing and camping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.