why people hide in friends - to avoid the griefers!!!

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by liz_the_wiz, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Today I was out having a bit of a grind by myself, I had found a routine that kept me almost constantly killing with next to no down time, occasionally it Id get a bit swamped and need to take a breather but it was all going so well.

Id been there a while and along came someone with twice as many HP as me, almost certainly many levels higher and undoubtedly more skilled with much stats on their gear.. At the time I cant remember if it was 2 or 3 things I was fighting, but I wasnt struggling and I was fine, the fight had not long just started. so, this much higher player proceeded to kill steal the things - because they weould go behind them and could out damage me with higher skills etc, they did the most damage so got the xp.

The problem was this continued on, and on..

Their view (apparently) was they were "helping" by taking the xp. Caught on camera with that one..

Now. Yes, *I* could go to friends mode and go about my life, but I was there first and minding my own. The little patch I was in was tiny compared to the zone I was in. This person clearly was capable of keeping the zone pretty clear. Seriously leaving someone what would be 7 or 8 spawn points wouldnt have killed them..

now. I appreciate that this person, because they were flagged pvp, was getting more xp so wanted to be in multi player, but why should I get 10% (is it still 10?) less xp per kill because someone else has decided they want to take all the things and bully me out of it. Why should I feel obliged to leave just because Im nicer.. why is it anyone feels its "OK" to bully other players in game because they are a higher lvl? more over why is it that there doesnt seem to be a lot you can do about it either?

My biggest fear is for the newer players who get this, who maybe on realising that kill stealing is a thing here, that being grief-ed the stock answer would be go friends for them to take the xp hit to avoid the issue, for all the people who are wondering where all the players are at.. is this really the right way of handling this?

Id like to thank my friends on my stream who were unimpressed with the persons behaviour. Id also like to thank my in game friends who came to my aid. Love you guys..

2. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

You're playing an open world game, are aware of the PVP and EXP mechanics, are playing in a public instance of your own accord, and then complain about it knowing the mechanics allow for this? The "griefer" was flagged for pvp and trying to force you into competing for resources via PVPing him and resume killing in his absence if you succeeded, or not farm there anymore. There is nothing wrong here. What do you think open world PVP mechanics are? Two people bowing and agreeing to a fair fight?

You're in a public instance, you chose to interact with anyone else there. Someone you ran into happened to want to compete for the same resources you were previously utilizing. Your options are to kill them, or not put yourself in a position where a stronger player decides to flex their muscles and either force you into a confrontation, or abandon your objectives. This is literally what open world PVP is about.

As for new players and how this affects them, there -should- be protection against that to a VERY low extent. That's not the case here, tho. You're an established player, you made a choice and then didn't like it when you were forced to compete for resources. That's not anyone's problem but yours.

3. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I think the fact she was playing on her noob unflagged char kinda negates your argument.

Elirion, Zader, Womby and 6 others like this.
  4. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Except. I dont pvp. So that doesnt answer my point

Elwyn, zyxe, Chatele and 4 others like this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Awesome way to make her point for her :)

Widsith [MGT], Elwyn, zyxe and 8 others like this.
  6. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Your getting ragged on here.. yet your right?
    This is exactly what OPEN WORLD PVP means. If you dont PvP, then you have the option to change zones. You chose not to do this.

Side note - You think this PVP'er was actually having fun? The PVP in the game is so bad, that this guy spent THAT amount of time picking on you just HOPING you would flag. So its Griefing.. but your right.. he could go somehwere else and get way more exp per hour.. the only reason they were there was to try and bait you into flagging.
    The system itself is bad, the person was clearly just trying to amuse himself and try to get SOME pvp action happening.

I say this because quite often i jump on people flagged like this, and sadly this is the *extent* of the pvp experiance. Its garbage and doesnt translate well into people with no intrest in it like the OP.
    In no way does her status negate his comment?
    This is literally the basis of the PVP in SOTA. Its been talked about for years. And talked about how bad it is. This PVPer, has nothing else to do at this point but wander around and hope someone will flag. When you do this for a few days, grabbing some mobs off someone to try to bait them is a very easy *next step*.
    The design itself is bad,
    The pvp player has limited options.

So in summary?
    Sucks for the non interested in PVP players.
    Sucks for the PVPers
    And leads to a bad game?

Almost like all those pvp threads talked about this for years.

7. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

@MrBlight

While I disagree, I get at least part of your point. Indeed, the griefer in question got what they were looking for. Idk what the ransom was but they (the griefer) did get themselves killed :)

fwiw I differentiate between pvp and grief. It's not looking for a pvp fight when the other person is half your "size". I equate it to the HS bully who goes out picking on elementary school kids.

That said...PvP IS bad in this game. I for one think it's bogus that you can flag pvp then run off to the wicked Oracle and simply unflag. We have no reputation system...etc etc. Sooooo many things.

8. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Yea.
    Like So what do they do? make it so you cant attack a flagged person? Then theres 0 counter to me flagging and just hassling people for fun (actual griefing). Do they remove flaggers from PVE zones? Well okay.. pvp limited to just PVP zones.. then thats not open world pvp... and essentially makes pvp even worse? (serious question.. would that even make it worse? Or just equally as bad? )
    Is it lame that people are hurting os much to kill other players tehy are willing to just sit back and hassle lowbees? Yes. Would this be less of an issue if there was more to PVP? i think so. Tho thats a loaded question.

Essentially it all comes back to the PVE being the focuse, and them trying to put the small amount of PVP in play, seems to not satisfy either crowd.

It will keep happening, and the gap between people here now and players joiningi n 6 months.. that gap of strength will be even larger.. making it harder for normal players to match up in these situations. Just another issue.
    Especialyl with the EXP boost for PVE.. for PVP flagging? i guess? lol.

Halfwitte and Dhanan like this.
  9. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I'd really have to know where you, @liz_the_wiz , were hunting to determine whether the PvP'er was trying to bait you, or was just competing for XP. Whether the person was PvP or not, however, I've had this happen to me. At that point you have one of two options; put up with it and hope the person will leave, or go find a scene to yourself. In MPO you have to make the decision of whether or not to stay in a zone and try to drive the other players out or go find a zone with less people in it; this is the nature of the beast, as it were. The guy/gal could have just been a jerk, but, in this type of game, it happens all the time. Unfortunately, going to FPO or SO causes a reduction in XP gain, so you are stuck there, but I don't think it's as cut and dried as saying 'I was here first, so everyone else should leave." Hope this doesn't sound too harsh, and I do have sympathy for you plight btw, as I deal with the same issue in-game.

Dhanan and Nick like this.
  10. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

As you should have done, don't play their game, don't feed their ego... It's clear to me this guy was "goating" you to flag by attacking them (a very old UO trick), since PvP "can't" freely attack players outside of PvP zone, they need something to try... So, next time I suggest starting in FPO and you will never have to deal with this type of player ever...

Womby and Dhanan like this.
  11. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

The OP mentioned having to take a negative 10%(if this is still the amount) XP hit by going to FO mode. So, switching modes would really be a loss for her, XP wise.

Moiseyev Trueden and FrostII like this.
  12. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

at the cost of 10% xp...

boy I AM noob. I didn't realize you could attack somebody else when you weren't flagged

13. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Yeah...but this doesn't apply to just PvP players. You can have a non-PvP player commandeer a scene, and leave you with no way to make decent XP, and switching modes causes the loss of the aforementioned 10% MPO player bonus.

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  14. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

@Sorthious @Solazur HaHa 10% that 's nothing to shake a stick at, stay 5 more minutes farming, that's what it amounts too...

15. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Not when you are getting 3-8k XP per kill or more. 10% of 3k is 300..it adds up quickly.

16. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

As far as I know the 10% is a "bonus" for (being in a) group play, and "not" a penalty for SPO, FPO players...

17. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

No?
    Its 10% for Being in MMO mode.
    An additional 10% for being PVP flagged.

And the group bonuse is seperate entirely..
    And translates too...
    if i was going to get 100 exp.
    when im in a group (duo), same kill, we each get 70.

Least thats the last math i saw on it.
    So by being with someone your level.. killing 2x the mobs.. your getting a good chunk of exp more.
    Doing this PVP and in MMO it amounts to a pretty massive difference then when your just in FMO doing the same thing.

18. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I forget the math, but yeah, it's a multiplier up to 8x, for playing in a group, but you generally get less than if you were hunting solo, at least in my XPerience. (^8

19. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I'd like to see where in the "official instructions" it says that because:

Adventuring with Others (Parties)
    Shroud of the Avatar can be played as a single-player adventure, but most find it fun and rewarding to meet challenges with like-minded friends. These are called parties (sometimes referred to as groups for those familiar with the concept in other online games).

Players can be invited to party with you if you are the leader of a party or if you are not currently in a party. When invited to a party, a dialog will pop up that the player may accept or decline.

Parties are limited to eight members.

Earned Adventurer Experience is divided between party member based on their Adventurer Level. Higher level party members are awarded proportionally more Experience. Slain monsters award 10% more Exp for each member in a party. Grandmastery training benefits only extent to players in the same party.

Looted gold is split evenly between all party members. Other items go to whichever party member picks them up and will be noted in the chat log. You may wish to discuss loot distribution with your party members before heading off to adventure together.

All party members are shown in the list with their status is listed. Status includes Leader, invited, and member of party.

While in a party you will be able to see your party members nameplates so long as they are in the same scene as you, and you have nameplates toggled on.

If the party leader disconnects or leaves the party, leader status will be assigned to a new party member.

I can't find anything about a 10% Penalty or Bonus as to SPO, FPO or MPO modes... If you can find it for me, I would appreciate it...
    I didn't look up for PvP...

Net likes this.
  20. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

hehe yea its hard because in most cases zones are limited spawns.

But yea if in situation your killing 5 mobs at 100 exp each solo.. = 500 exp. = 1000 yield total
    ideally, with a duo.. your killing 10 mobs, at 70 exp each = 700 each .. = 1400 yield total

Least thats what the math was before anyways lol. So when you start counting for 10% multiplayer.. and an additional 10% PVP...
    = 1200 Yield solo
    or = 1680 each, duo.

that assuming the math hasnt changed lately.

21. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

So in a Duo your getting 20% more exp from that tag, but like i said i belive that was raised to 20% ... ill see if i can dig it up.
    As for PVP.. you can see it when you flag , it comes up as an *adventuring bonuse * or something silly.

Ill see if i can find the exact recent numbers.
    But maybe im wrong on the 20% per member.. and its 10%.
    In which case, a duo..
    its more like
    Mob gives you 100 solo..
    but each mob is giving you and your member 60 duo. (2 members = 20% total increase) = 120 released from the mob.

Still a pretty big boost.

Ill see if i can remember where the MMO boost is listed , as well as the specifics of the PVP flagged boost ( that WAS much higher and got tonned down after its initial release) .. pretty sure its 10 % for mmo mode, and 10% for PVP mode + party bonuse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.