why people hide in friends - to avoid the griefers!!!

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by liz_the_wiz, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

@Spoon I bet that caused a bit of a higgledy piggledy event

2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

cool idea @Cordelayne, but then inverse the whole numbers system
    A GM is zero skill - 50 is 50 - 60 is 40 and so on
    Same for gear a +10 is a -10 and buffs create malus and all that. Hell of Chaos and fun :D

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  3. Gix

Gix Avatar

If people want to play in "friends only" mode for whatever reason, that's their own prerogative; that's entire point of how SotA handles multi-player. It means I could play with my friend (who hates people) and play with other people when he's not around.

The "MMO" aspect of the game will suffer a bit if everyone is either in single-player, SPO or friends only but, if that's how the game is going to be played by most people, so be it. The MMO crowd will either make what they have as their own or they'll move on to another game if the population isn't large enough.

With that said, the worst thing you can do to a community is to segregate it. The whole PvP-vs-PvE nonsense has to stop. Better yet, the devs need to come up with a way for both to not only co-exist but to cooperate. Make some of the PvE content available when some PvP conditions are met... so long as that PvE content doesn't require the PvErs to participate in PvP.

I'll say it again (I think I mentioned it in another thread), the best example of this phenomenon is in Warhammer Online. PvE activities granted PvPers bonus "conquest points" that enabled the PvPers to conquer more territory which unlocked PvE raids for the PvErs. Whenever the PvPers would lose ground, they'd encourage the rest of their faction to quest and to do public events while the PvErs would cheer for any victory the PvPers would achieve because that would eventually mean that they'd get epic loot from the raids.

It's a symbiotic relationship.

No; that's just a stereotype. I've dealt with plenty of PvErs and non-MP folks being just as vile if not worse.

4. Numa

Numa Avatar

This is why we have bomb shelte--- i mean basements :)

3devious, Cordelayne and MagiK like this.
  5. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

I believe you are useing filthy names to witch hunt a certain gamer's "game style", which is inherently my own.

Valor Bastagio here chiming in. So, what is left of the hardcore pvp crew? How is it going to survive and how will this game implement it? From many of your posts I have formed a conclusion that you do not want development of anything but 'casual pvp' Pretty much a separate world, but all within the same. Well guess what MR AVATAR!!! There used to be a huge hardcore pvp crew. There used to be much more pvp than there ever was and THEY WERE THE COMMUNITY. They were the forums Go to guys on the game. They were the Bug reporters, the bug creators, the bug exploiters. There were the CORE of the game. What happened to all them? Lack of promises on what was BOUGHT Several Years Ago. I bought this game many years ago, as an """"investment"""" An investment, in the "promised game of all time". There was a gleeful moment of UO PVP nostalgia......and that, Lord British would make promise On PVP Content. What really happened?? There is no PVP content.. Months go by and the CORE begin to crumble. Like a fish in the hot deserts sun, each scale representing a pvper, flaking off the fishes flesh until it withers to bone..... The Wind-(Aka. Casual player)..blowing the scales away with each negative post on hardcore pvpers. Now, THE CORE isn't posting in the forums much anymore. THE CORE isn't playing much anymore. the core is now gone and so are the pvp players.

Enter the players who are only for Casual. YOU ARE NOW THE CORE and with conflicting ideas on how the game should be, the current Core is probably going to get what they want, rather than was 'promissed'.

All is fair in love and war.

6. Numa

Numa Avatar

I have to disagree - it wasn't those interested in casual PvP that drove away the hardcore PvP players :rolleyes:

Rufus btw isn't one of those anti-PvP diehards if you're familiar with his posts on the subject. He just doesn't like bullies (and neither do I) and I'm sure you don't fall into that category.

The reality is that SOTA was never going to be the kind of PvP playground that UO was. Now it's going to be a long experiment (starting with R45) to find out where the PvP golden mean is for this playerbase.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  7. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Giggles uncontrollably ;D

8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

i like it and you are right imo.

I think the PvPers wont have fund it that much than the "casual blue ones".
    PvPers want things to be ingame achieved worked out with diligence and blood not purchased in a store - they dont care about dresses or furniture that much...
    Therefore i think Portalarium just does business.
    Sure they could have done it different.

I think Portalarium or R.G. has envisioned something we all or most dont get until.
    I think this game really dont want to be about leveling aka grinding, but truly to be about adventuring, exploring and such.
    And in PvP Scenes we wont meed hardcore PK's over time but mediocre players, maybe even dont attack each other, but perhaps it happens either.
    I dont see this game can be a good PvP focussed game, there are so many things that dont fit with PvP - beginning with not having a seamless world
    further the skillsystem and also nothing in lore what fits that we kill each other. Sure we can create a background story etc...
    They still can create PvP Arena Style Scenes, also with claimable PoI etc.... but a RPG with PvP is only true and immersive with open PvP and full loot and not a ransom. But Gear is too time consuming and expensive to produce or to buy, skills arent balanced, there are no classes or counterclasses, there are no dependencies etc... no the game can and will have PvP but like the FB Quote from R.G. said, they never focussed on it and i cannot see they will focus more on it. there sure will be improvements, but this will never be a PvP focussed game, its impossible by core design decisions imo.
    I am fine with that - i am a mediocre player and person.

To me all the changes, uncloned scenes and nerfs we have seen in the last month/ releases shows me that the team tries to create an adventure where leveling happens by the way and is not the focus - i think if they could have done it, they would have or will give us tons of incentives to explore the world - more and more, create our own adventures and dont care that much for our levels.

I would agree if they get rid of all numbers and bars that show us any progression - use this skill and it will improve - end of story!
    then people perhaps begin to play the game, instead of optimizing their toon.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  9. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

And a nice collection of legal firearms, Emergency Food and Water Supplies and Solar panels to let me run my PC for offline games :D :D

Cordelayne and Numa like this.
  10. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

You're suggesting there should/could be zones that you can't enter if you're flagged PvP?

I've seen Chaos Pollen on vendors, I've yet to see an actual use for it, what is it actually for?

That seems to me easily exploitable. What happens if I go hit all the mobs in the zone once and then hide while everyone else kills stuff?

11. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Again I like some but not all your items here, I want my Health Bars and stats, I like being able to have visible easily determined Statistics....if it isnt in game people will just create them off line and put them into overlays so why make ti harder for them?

12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Oh yes health and focus bar need to stay :p

It's just what i would like and that i dont care that much and R.G. is somewhat likeminded iirc.
    It will never happen, so no worries.

Try to understand me, although i am really special about it and in the absolute minority, but to me all this measuring, optimizing and caring for efficiency destroys "my game", my immersion, and my roleplay.
    Not totally, i do compromises as they are always need to be done, but just to say...

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  13. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Think of having special scenes and drops what you cannot enter if you have flagged within a week. Drama :-D

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  14. Numa

Numa Avatar

Well said. These two paragraphs should be posted and reposted whenever one of those PvE vs PvP flame wars starts up again.

Now if only this Warhammer approach could be applied in some way to sieges, chokepoints and where ever else it makes sense...

15. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

As much as it would be turnabout for all the PvPers demanding ever-growing chunks of the game be gated to them, it's a pretty horrid idea, which I hope was tongue-in-cheek.

I think it's used in the recipe for the poison Chaotic Corruption. That said, I don't have a copy of the recipe myself. (if some kind soul would send me a screen shot of it, I would be grateful)

Elwyn and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

You are correct:
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Poison_Potion,_Chaotic_Corruption

It would have been sooooo nice if we could have something similar which encourage the coop of the different aspects of the game.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Stundorn and Numa like this.
  17. Curt

Curt Avatar

When Word of Warcraft announced they would make RP PvP servers did i assumed most people there would be murderous psychopath

18. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

no, flesh flayers are found almost exclusively in pvp zones, but only almost.

19. Gix

Gix Avatar

I turned out fine :p Emerald Dream represent!

20. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

I'm pretty sure I shouldn't mention it, but this thread is funnier if you substitute the word "sex" for "pvp".

3devious, Numa, Stundorn and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.