why people hide in friends - to avoid the griefers!!!

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by liz_the_wiz, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I have in the past only to be met with me feeling like I am an idiot. Maybe I will make another post. I will try to be more clear and concise, but I think in all reality they just do not want people that pvp, they want sheep.

Elwyn likes this.
  2. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

I hear pvp rewards pitched alot, in various threads and what pisses me off are the responses as such.

I dont chose to pvp but if they are getting those items and I cannot, then it is not fair.

What pisses me off even more is that those gamers who do not like pvp are now considering the game as a value worth/patch. This is a no no, maybe the casual player needs to lay off the hardcore player

K1000, liz_the_wiz and Dreadnought like this.
  3. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

I watched the OP's replay of the 'griefing' event, and very likely most of us would find a higher level player kill-stealing them to be irritating.

However I can't help but wonder if things would have been different if a kind greeting and an offer to party were extended. It's possible the 'griefer' is simply young, immature, bored, not familiar with 'MMO etiquette', and so on. A bit of friendly conversation could lead to farming the scene together with benefit to both players, and maybe even a new friend.

Or not. But you tried.

I've been treated rather rudely by other players for no discernible reason at times. But often after chatting with them for a few minutes, I soon learn the reason why, and then they are asking me to party up and even join their guild. Most people just want friends and attention.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    liz_the_wiz and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Avatar

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Can you please rephrase that ? I'm not sure if you're for or against pvp getting special rewards ?

The ethical thing to do right now for games that are item~endgame centric is to give rewards for pvp that have special properties that only work against other players, and pve items that won't work against other players as much.

So the only difference is purely cosmetic, if you whine because you can't have that nice armor with spikes, first world problem ! You'd probably only have to wait till the wee hours int the morning to clear that scene and have a chance to find that special armor for its cosmetic effect without having to PvP for it... scenes won't be busy all the time, I knew plenty of Trammel only people that would often send a scout to Fel and if the spot was clear the guild would go there with a little thrill as added value :p

To be COMPLETELY fair portalarium would have to make sure that armor and weapons (and recipes) designed for PvP are more interesting for the pvpers by a swignificant margin, so that only the odd PvPer has the chance to want to go in those prized PvE scenes, minimizing the possibility of a situation like the OP describes.

Elwyn and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Let's think it through shall we, while we're at it...

The problem isn't that portalarium thinks we're goofy, its that from their perspective UO is getting old, and logically if some of its systems were only so good in a simpler context, if they had any easy port they probably would have been cloned in one of the successes some of our devs had in other games.

I know I repeated it way too often, but I don't think that they understand that some of UO's intended system weren't completed or even left the design phase, and why did people "move on" and wanted to kind of forget about that whole thing ? Because of the emotional trauma of "losing control" of the game. Someone very, very genius is being ignored that worked @Origin and its a little political I guess, not my role to be the detective here but I'd love to tell you more.

Cause cuz thats the arbitrary "cool" of nowadays... to let go, to move on... except before letting go of something you better know it inside out.

The shardfalls describe a schism, but I say its even worse than that in the hall of mirror life is... both the UO playerbase and our evolved devs are affected :)

I am here not only to warn about the repercussions of ignoring even the most minute detail, but also to rectify a timeline that was pushed aside for lack of a better thing to do :)

Consciousness makes its way... we muse be patient, and not play with the strings of emotion of our fellow nerds !

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

What the hell has your story about kill and loot stealing to do with PvP? At all?

Dreadnought likes this.
  8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

So where is the "risk" when a high-level power-gamed god-mode PvPer can grief lower level PvE players with impunity? UO had red names, SotA doesn't. We're still in pre-release low population, and there isn't enough population yet to go red-hunting by word of mouth alone.

For many people, it's not fun for to have fighting forced upon us at any moment. Doubly so when it's not even a fair fight being attacked by someone much stronger, that you have no chance of winning against. Sure, it's fun to be the bully. Yeah, if I'm ever in liz's situation, I'll use what I've learned in this thread, and start not looting corpses.

Then some would still be running around with uber gear.

Ah, yes, the "I'm roleplaying a total edgy *******!" people. They're out there.

Mobs heal if they are left alone (some also have abilities to heal), so it would seem to me that the record of who has claim on a mob should decay from the "early" side as mobs heal. To do this right would require every mob to have a log of damage taken and by whom, but that's only for the one instance, so technically not too troublesome.

The game I am mostly playing is the economic game. It's nice to be able to harvest or kill mobs faster, but it's not my goal. I'm at AL75 and it's been a few months since I hit AL70. Sure, I could go in grind parties, but my time is more fragmented than I'd like, and I'd rather just drop into an encounter and come out with some ores and wood... after being the bully to a bunch of bandits.

9. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Oh I agree its easy to avoid, but it harms the Multiplayer environment... However it is a bit condescending to call people who do not like PvP "Blue People" why the put down? and why denigrate their desired play style with insults? LOL now that is funny, I just noticed you hide your profile :D

Stundorn, Elwyn and liz_the_wiz like this.
  10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Psst. The OP.

As in the OP isn't really about PvP but rather about kill stealing.

So while it might appear like this is a PvP topic due to the last 17 pages or so but @MagiK is really more on topic than anyone in those last 17 pages.

The only reason that PvP came up was that the person described in the op was flagged and was maybe but not certain doing the kill stealing to pick a fight.

:D
    So we are soooooo far off topic that we don't even recognize on topic posts.

Which I find delicately ironic.

11. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Nope no need to explain, if you say it isnt a put down Ill take your word for it. Im pretty easy going. If you think this is heavily moderated you should try being a gun enthusiast on Quora :p

12. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

My apologies for wandeing far from the OP, in my defense I read them while at work and they all start to blur together and I occasionally cross post :/

13. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Avatar

Haha, right. I'm from Texas "From our cold dead hands" We like our guns.. :D

MagiK likes this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

However there were lots of Blue PvP players back in the day...
    http://www.uoguide.com/Player_vs._Player
    So that would be an incorrect use of the term.

I wish there was a better term we could use, but I think that we have to make do with PVE oriented or some such.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Elwyn like this.
  15. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

I remember Cove, Vesper etc RPvp too - happy days sadly gone now.

16. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Avatar

Blue is referring to the color of the server selection of older generation games. Blue servers were PVE oriented, with the option of dueling (in EverQuest) Red servers were PvP focused along with PVE.
    This is a emulator, but. [​IMG] hence the "color" in the name.

Now i will say the other word[​IMG]is more correct, but prefer to not have to make another forum account because of moderation. Although i am curious of a non offensive word for PvE oriented players that dislike focused PvP? always up for learning a new word :D

I could always just post a [​IMG] :p

A man must dream, dreams are the start of the foundation :D

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Fister Magee likes this.
  17. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@Berek - please can you help get this thread moved back to general - as this was NOT a PVP thread.. this was about kill stealing and why for those who dont wish to pvp or arent big enough to take on the other person hiding in friends seems to be the only answer.

18. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Avatar

Isn't griefing a part of PvP? or trying to avoid PvP rather? not trying to cause problems just seems like a PvP subject.

19. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Kill stealing would be a manners issue in my mind, if you wish me to tar all PVP people with not having manners - then you can make that call and say its a pure pvp issue, however, while just because person x wants 20% more xp, so was flagged PvP and got the 20% more than they'd get in friends wasnt really my key point. In a PvP world I get that really kill stealing isnt a thing as you are properly in competition and can kill your opponent for the rights to kill and loot something, however on the whole pve is player vs the game not other players.. But as I dont pvp, to me this is not about pvp.

Sadly I think you and I see completely opposite sides of a coin and you dont seem to see mine, i thought I tried to understand yours, however the problem i was describing is bullying and why should a bigger player force a smaller one out and that it doesnt have to be so rudely done and that this can effect new players perception and if we want our game to grow this sort of behavior and forcing those who dont want to have to deal with it into friends just means new people dont see people who they might want to meet and get to know.

20. Net

Net Avatar

It is rather part of multiplayer. There is griefing in PvP, but there is plenty examples in PvE (such as kill stealing).

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.