Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Why the extra step when gathering?

Discussion in 'Release 10 Feedback' started by Waxillium, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

If I click on a resource node or corpse and I have the tool required in my bag can I please just do the action without having to interact with the tool bar?

It feels really synthetic to see the skinning knife show up over a deer but I can't just click the deer. I must get my tool, put it in the tool bar and then target the node/corpse and press the corresponding toolbar number.

Hopefully I'm missing a shortcut someone can tell me about.

Spoon, Lained, AvatarGG and 6 others like this.
  2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Hopefully you can left click the deer corpse and click skin... or make a macro of the action so you can just click and ALT+f5

3. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

I agree that it's odd that they have the cursor turn into the skinning knife just for it to not actually do anything.

4. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

There isn't a problem with this case for skinning, if you only have one tool in your bag. I f you have multiple tools in your bag, the case fails as it becomes mpossible to tell which tool should be used to harvest. If you want to double click on the harvest node, put the tool into the hands of the avatar, i.e. equip it. Then you can harvest without having to choose the tool from the tool bar.

Kvow likes this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

But... If I'm out gathering then I'm not gathering one resource exclusively, instead I'm gathering any and all available.
    Let's say I go to a plains, there will be trees, deer, ore, some cotton, etc.
    So then equipping one tool isn't good enough, I put them all in my toolbar-but that doesn't help me.
    I have to click node click tool click node etc etc, unnecessary tedious. And which tool to use is almost never an issue-if it's a tree I don't want the sickle, I want an axe.
    Instead if they are in my toolbar I should be able to double click a node and the tool should auto ready.
    If it's a case of deer where you can both skin and slaughter then If I have both tools then it should do them in a default order. First double click skins it, second slaughter it.
    If I only have the one tool in the bar-do that one.
    So if I double click a rabbit, with only a cooking pot in the toolbar then yes indeed I want to make rabbit stew.
    If I have both skinning knife and pot then I want to preserve the skin before the stew.

Kvow likes this.
  6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

You don't need to target the node, unless you want to specify which one to harvest. Just use the hot key and it will automatically work on the nearest node.

That said, it would be better to check for the tool in inventory instead of equipped. I can't imagine ever wanting to equip a tool instead of weapons, unless the bonus (Prosperity item) only works when equipped (which I imagine will be how it works).

Actually, having a Tool slot instead of having to equip it directly might be of some benefit. Otherwise, I will probably have a Forestry skill set with my Axe of Prosperity in it, and I can swap to it from my weapon just using "X".

I can also see a Focus skill that adds alternate decks being popular, especially for gathering.

7. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

It's called a "tool tip", it's telling you what tool to use on the item. I know most of you are not used to it being so, but just wait until it turns into a "hoe" to harvest plants. Field dressing a kill is a hunters term for gutting the kill, and draining the blood before it contaminates the meat, removing the hide or fur, head and feet.

It's actually very accurate (realistic), and you can use the tool several ways, by dbl clicking the tool itself or putting in your bar a clicking it there, or using the number keys (have to have the corpse highlighted).

Kvow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.