Why you have an amazing community, and opportunity, right here in SotA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

I would be very interested in seeing those studies. It's an area of interest for me, and while I see people write articles on it, I've never seen an academic study or real analysis of gaming culture in regards to Kickstarter. I actually am working on a research proposal for something along these lines, so I would be interested if there is some existing foundation work.

Thanks,

Retro, rild and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  2. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I'll be more than happy to comment, extensively, on those systems -- once I get to use them. It seems, however, that a lot of "forum talk" about the systems is already happening, without anyone having experienced them.

3. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

If you can do it before the 7th, be sure to go to the Marketplace! Lots of founders providing founder Adventurer pledges at below cost (I do 'em at $30 to try help my son, Goibniu, reach a better pledge level. Others sell them at cost but give you the referral bonus.) And after you have the Adventurer tier, you can go to the Alienware promo to add another free $20... And finally you can then go to Astrobia's giveaway to try and win free Steam Game keys...

(BTW: I'll probably continue to provide discounts after the 7th (assuming they'll let us), the deal just won't be *as sweet* anymore then, because you won't be founder after getting the pledge...)

Time Lord, rild and Olahorand like this.
  4. Retro

Retro Avatar

Great Post OP! Very insightful I really hope SotA's marketing team;) reads it really carefully and slowly...
    (although I think your feelings are a little biased towards SotA in some instances, but that's okay)

And the other way around also, tradyblix, Did I finally convince you to join! SC? I recommended the $40 package, but you are going for the MAX!, nice congrats.

Hopefully we meet in the verse, I would love to join a SC\SotA cross game guild. (Anybody know of one?)

Chris Robert mentions RG and promotes SotA every chance they get, (3* video references in the past 2 weeks, and the awesome crossbow)

*Edit: SotA mentioned again today WMH ep63 starts at 4:50, these guys are throwing SotA a huge amount of love...I hope we do the same.

I agree.

One thing that I like about the size of this community is that I actually feel that my comments, concerns, suggestions and criticisms are actually taken into consideration addressed, some examples:
    • The website (getting better, still need to organize the media, so hard to find pics\media of specific items)
    • The splash page (so much better, but you really need to link these deep dives on there, they are great, they convinced me to finally upgrade my pledge)
    • Pledge page\store presentation (so much better than before, but you still need to link to picture galleries of the items, or video walk-through's Hermit's?)
    • Add-on store conversion (great work guys, homerun...)
    • Wraith\Lich Gate 2013, (The New Lich concept looks awesome)
    • Cart in the add-on store (waiting patiently)
    • Boring stretch goals (Not sure what's going on here but I'm sure they have some better idea's then a fencing rematch now, you guys need some real focus here, give us something to strive for! and highlight the goals better on the website)
    • Marketing and crowd funding (things are looking up $333k in March! nice work boys)
    • and even hopefully crafting with trophies.

As I have said before I have no issues with the proposed game mechanics, in fact I'm excited about most of the them. I also like the community here much better, people are reasonable and the discussions are great (yes, even discussions PVP\"Full loot" :D)

My worries were always is this game going to actually make it to 5 episodes, is it a sound entertainment investment...I'm not as worried now.

I love how sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards, SotA to me feels like it's a continuation of the MUD type of MMO's, just with graphics, it inspired my user name when I signed up for the Kickstarter campaign.

Congratulations you finally convinced me to upgrade one last time. (You should be doing everything in your power to make be break my promise, this is a challenge to your marketing team) maybe lot size upgrade offers

PS; this doesn't mean I going to stop giving you $&^@, Where the F is the store cart? I refuse to re-buy any of the stuff I cashed in until it's in place, and please consider adding some exciting new promotions after the April 7th promotion ends, we need to keep the funding ball rolling...Good job guys (so much for waiting patiently ;))

5. Retro

Retro Avatar

See what I mean ...get the Deep Dives to the splash page pronto!!!

6. Ryoken

Ryoken Avatar

I agree, there's a lot that is lost when looking at footage on YouTube for game play, but knowing where the game is headed really sheds light on the missing pieces, at least for me it did. Plowing through as much developer commentary as I can to get the whole picture.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Time Lord and Retro like this.
  7. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

My wife and I have over $1000 pledged to SC but only $220 pledged to SotA. So you might feel the OP is SotA all the way, but I really do like SC as well. My point was that SC is doing so well, it doesn't need the TLC that I think SotA does and, on top of that, because SC has grown to a certain size, its community doesn't feel like SotAs, which I prefer. I like having a "feel" for who's who. Already in this community I can see the people who are wildly passionate about the game; those who are regularly against just about anything the game does; those who have declared they're not going to play the game (but still hang around the forum for some unknown reason); and so on. Quite a diverse bunch of people!

majoria70, rild, Time Lord and 7 others like this.
  8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I for one am excited for the combat system. I think it is a neat twist. I'm also pleased this won't be a full PVP world which would not work with a story based game. A lot of people have been upset that it wasn't fully open kill who ever you want, but really it was never advertised as such. I say instead of bemoaning what it isn't, lets try and see what it is.

9. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Correct. As far as I can see, RG announced the game; people heard, "spiritual successor to Ultima" and the fact it's multiplayer, and concluded it would be like early UO in terms of PvP with no other outcome possible.

Basically putting 2+2 together to make 5. And then they got angry about it, afterwards, when what they had been imagining wasn't the way things are going to be, after all :eek:

10. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yes. I went to SC for evidence to prove you wrong on the forums and left with a Freelancer and a Iolo Industries Crossbow.

Funny how that worked

Retro, Jatvardur, Dhimmi and 2 others like this.
  11. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Sure. Do a google seqrch for socioeconomic inequality studies

12. Veylen The AenigmA

No but when you hear spiritual successor to a pvp heavy hardcore game you expect t to have some resemblence to it

Makes me upset when i hear them say in videos thanks to you we listen to everything you say. Thats funny cause so far the only people they listen to seriously are people who agree wit them otherwise its just brushed aside.

Like when they say they want a realistic skill based system and theb talk about how great rabdomness is. Last i checked getting a lucky card drop in your deck had nothing to do with skill and is all luck or how they say they want to make things unique and then go for a pvp system that is nothing new or unique and is the status quo. Or when people come up with awesome ideas and then shrug it off.

Wantig to allow people to take risk for greater reward and give player choices and then remove both elements by eliminating any risk from pvp or any excitement of random pvp battles due to the fact that you can completely avoid pvp until you are sure you can win ? Am i the only one that sees these contradictions

Saying they want to take all the good things and improve on them and leave the bad things behind when its subjective some ppl thought open pvp and lootig was a good thing. Incase yoû guys havent noticed most of the pvp threads are void of serious pvpers and now are inhabited by part time pvp hobbyists pvers.

Ever since the big pvp thread all the serious pvpers have left.

I keep hearing them say they want to give pvers a reason to pvp well newsflash if they want to pvp they will.

13. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

SotA has been named as spiritual successor of the Ultima Series.
    And the Ultima Series is not solely one selectively taken by you part of Ultima Online, but its also the spirit of the Offline Ultimas with all their historical weight.
    So maybe you misunderstood something and based your expectations on that misunderstanding.
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

14. Veylen The AenigmA

Maybe you misunderstood when he specifically pointed out ultima online as one of the games on the succession list

15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It was mentioned, but not anywhere near the level you think or took away from it. I think it was a long the lines of "elements from Ultima Online beyond combat..." or something like that. It's too bad that is the only thing you remember about UO, I didn't find much of it I liked either though so that could be understandable. This is a story based rpg, always was advertised as one...Ultima Online didn't really have a story. The free for all PVP just wouldn't work I don't think...it would make playing the game hard. Try and see the forest beyond the tree.

16. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I don't recall the Ultima series being "a pvp heavy hardcore game". Re-read what I said; I drew a distinct line between the Ultima series and Ultima Online as they are two different beasts. My point stands. Cheers :)

17. Veylen The AenigmA

And guess what. Ultima online is part of the ultima he included. Doesnt matter what yu said.

Last i checked there was no public internet in the 80s so if its not possible then of course theres no pvp. But alas we can nitpick semantics forever it doesnt really get anywhere by doing so. Fact is he said it and you cant dance around it with linguistics. If yur point was that you said one thing and i said another then yeah it stands. Grats on making a point about something i wasnt referring to. Obviously u say ultima series and dont mean uo. Obviously i say uo and do

Eldgrim likes this.
  18. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Let's see it mathematical:
    You add 9 parts Ultima (Ultima I to Ultima IX) and 1 part Ultima Online and get 10 parts. (I left even the Ultima Underworld parts out.)
    How much weight would be remaining from that splitter of Ultima Online you seem to declare for the only true one?

19. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

And that's leaving out RG's other work... It's the spiritual successor to RG's previous work, not the spiritual successor to just Ultima, let alone just UO. A number of Tabula Rasa influences can be seen as well, for instance...

And the main theme throughout RG's career has been story telling, not PvP, and although he is in favor of PvP, he's also always pointed out he is against grieving, and forcing people who do not want to PvP is a form of grieving, however *you* wish to call it, won't change that fact!

It's not just about YOU, it's about the community and finding something that works for the majority of people! And beating the dead horse with only negative posts is NOT going to change things. Only constructive cooperation between all groups will, but you and a small group of FFA proponents have been so disruptive that you are thwarting any chance of that ever occurring, which is sad, because I do think that PvP, and esp. Looting could and should be improved upon, but that small group has caused me to stop championing for such changes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

20. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Linguistics? Hardly. SotA is based heavily on the Ultima series with its single-player storyline, than it is on Ultima Online, which had no such thing. I'd say SotAs parentage is about 65% Ultima 35% Ultima Online.

You seem to be one of those people who lumps Ultima Online into the Ultima series when, to be honest, most people I know set it to one side as something a bit different, based on it not being a single-player storyline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.