Why you have an amazing community, and opportunity, right here in SotA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I really hope our community grows however.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Numa

Numa Avatar

This is true, the SC KS campaign was a cliffhanger. At one point it didn't even seem we could reach $1M. And there was a period where the same people were putting in more money just to keep the momentum going.

SOTA has a smaller base of course but its very significant that the website has now raised more money than the original KS. This shows that the game has the potential to be self sustaining.

In contrast CCP"s (creator of EVE) World of Darkness has been cancelled after years of development with nothing to show for it. SOTA's (&SC) philosophy of develop modules fast and test early with the supporters an integral part of the development cycle is the correct approach.

Time Lord and tradyblix like this.
  3. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

I believe World of Darkness had other huge issues in attracting players. One was lack of advertisement; I saw less about it in MMO-related sites than about SotA, for example. Another one, IMHO, is that CCP's WoD was to be a game with open, non-consensual PvP anywhere, player looting, and even the possibility of perma-death; with those features I don't think WoD would have attracted a large enough player base to justify it's development at the quality level CCP was aiming for. I, for example, have nearly every single World of Darkness RPG book ever published since Vampire 2nd Edition, copies of every World of Darkness related game released for the PC, and even then was giving the WoD MMO a wide berth.

Time Lord and Numa like this.
  4. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

WoD is an odd one... I can remember back in 2006 (?) when it was first announced. I thought, man, this is rocking to rock. WoD has an extremely passionate fanbase; on par with people who love Lord British, or Chris Roberts, or whatever. It's established; it's real. The problem, to my eyes, seemed to be that, year after year, these people didn't really create... well... much of anything. It's truly bizarre. For eight years output, I saw next to nothing. I mean, how is that even possible? Why wasn't someone on their butts after year one saying, "Where is something substantial to show?" Or what about after year two? Three? Four? And so on. To hit 8 years with next to nothing to show for it was... bizarre.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I know a guy who worked on that team. He spent most of his time patching EVE. It seemed that the WoD game was not a priority. He was one of the folks who got laid off and then went to 38 Studios. :( He then turned down an offer from Bethesda and went somewhere out west... I tease him that he broke my WoD game and it's his fault we can't have anything nice.

sent from the future using my Coleco Adam

Time Lord and tradyblix like this.
  6. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

From trying to find info about WoD it felt this way for me too. Not to mention how it was passed over to launch Dust 514 and, later, EVE Valkyrie.

My gut feeling is that CCP expected far more player enthusiasm and involvement than they got. The fact White Wolf had killed the old version of the World of Darkness two years before — which is the event that made me stop purchasing White Wolf books, I have absolutely nothing of the new World of Darkness — might have contributed to it, and I also think the promise of a MMO where final death was possible turned a number of potential players away (though that might just be myself being pessimist; if there is something bad that can happen in game with me, I always assume it will happen).

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Ahhh, that makes sense, based on what we were seeing from the outside, ie: not much movement on WoD. It's such a shame. They could have made something really, really interesting... if they were allowed to!

Time Lord likes this.
  8. 3devious

3devious Avatar

He wasn't the lead by any means but his part of it would have been pretty solid. (I can say nice things about it where he will never hear it, he's a little young to have played any of Lord British's more popular titles. I'll try to see if he's interested once combat is fleshed out. He loves game mechanics especially those that give him many ways to kill stuff.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Numa

Numa Avatar

It's a real pity WOD got such short rift from CPP. EVE isn't exactly a good bet long term specially if SC triggers a revival of the genre.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I'm not so sure. I'm no EVE fan by any stretch of the imagination -- I liken it to playing a spreadsheet and I'm not even trying to be funny when I say that -- and I think SC is so different to EVE in just about every way besides, "It's space... with spaceships..." both games will have a core audience that will have absolutely no interest in the other game. Maybe some people will go to SC and give up on EVE, but I really don't think it's going to be "statistically significant" at all.

Time Lord and Rufus D`Asperdi like this.
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

There are a great number of people Heavily invested in Eve, both emotionally and financially. It will be around for a long time, regardless of Star Citizen.

One of the primary reasons that Ultima Online is still around is that people built communities. They were and are invested in the virtual world, where they built and maintain a place for themselves. It is the same for Eve, save rather than communities, they've built Empires and Corprations spanning solar systems. Once people are invested like that, they're not inclined to move on. It takes a lot to make them pull up roots.

This is also the answer to the people who ask why Housing is such a big deal. Houses and the communities that spring up around them help insure longevity for the game.

Time Lord, Numa and Canterbury like this.
  12. Numa

Numa Avatar

I believe it will be significant if only for the fact that EVE has been filling in for a major gap in the genre for so long. But then again it assumes that SC will be a success - which we don't know for sure. It also assumes that EVE won't evolve from it's current form , which again is not a certainty so I"ll think I"ll leave it at that. Time will tell.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Actually, I think SC's (and ED's) effect on EVE will be significant, though not even close to what would be required to kill the game.

There are few good space sims nowadays, and even fewer that are online with a persistent universe. Both SC and ED will provide this, which means that the player that is playing EVE due to the "good quality space sim with persistent universe" aspect will have a couple more options, and those options will have the player actually piloting the ship.

EVE isn't really focused on the solo player. It's possible to play a lone wolf, and some players excel in this role, but EVE as designed puts the emphasis on corporations. Both ED and SC, on the other hand, are geared to emphasize the lone wolf, to make that play style viable and enjoyable, so those two games might become an even greater draw on players that prefer to not be part of a corporation.

ED has another draw: it can be played as a PvE game. For players that feel like they are stuck in high sec in EVE due to the PvP, that might be an additional incentive to jump ship.

EVE will remain meaningful, though. Neither ED nor SC will be even capable of handling large fleet action; a "mere" 100 x 100 battle is impossible in either of those new games. Players that play EVE for the sense of scale, the idea of belonging to a large group, will likely find that EVE is still their best bet at that.

Time Lord, Mercyful Fate and Numa like this.
  14. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

For some people, sure. But if I was really pressed on the topic, I'd say EVE has more people who are probably into 4X style gameplay, moreso than space-sims in the style of Wing Commander, X-Wing, etc.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

That's absolutely true, and nothing that my comments haven't already covered. There will be crossover. But it won't be a killer blow in any sense, and like I was saying above, the more 4X inclined people will stay with EVE.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

This is very true. EVE currently owns the market but I personally found it lackluster. I'm looking forward to all that SC will provide but I'll still withhold some reservations until release - the same as I'm doing with SotA. I've been burned too often by the hype machine.

I've never been a fan of zerg-on-zerg action, preferring a more intimate 8 vs 8 or even down to 1 vs 1. However, it is rather cool, in a "Star Wars" sort of way, to see epic space battles that have major ramifications extending across the galaxies.

Time Lord and Margard like this.
  17. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Where I think SC and ED will snatch more EVE players is with the lone wolf crowd. Like I pointed, the lone wolf player isn't really the focus of EVE, while it's actually the focus of ED and SC; thus, those new games will likely be more rewarding for that kind of player.

Not enough to kill EVE, and the players that enjoy the interaction with large corporations will likely remain in EVE anyway, but I wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of EVE lone wolves leave the game to go play those new ones.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

The variable for many people will be the time spent in game. Unlike most MMOs where, if you go hardcore and play like a demon, you can "catch up" to other people fairly quickly, the way progression happens in EVE is tied to real time and, if someone's spent a lot of money and time to getting where they currently are, they are going to be a bit loathe to put it down; even a lone wolf. Also, another consideration is because SC has no monthly fee, some people might play both.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Well, it can go both ways, depending on the prevalent mindset in the player base. I agree that the lack of subscription in SC and ED favors a scenario where, at least at first, interested players might choose to keep their EVE subscription while they experience SC or ED; the loss of players to those games should happen gradually, in the months after a fully playable and reasonably bug free version of each one of those is released, as EVE players in those games come to the conclusion that they don't need EVE for their entertainment.
    It's just speculation, though. No way to be sure, and anything we players say will be just guesses, even if in this thread we might be making educated guesses. We just don't have the kind of precise profiling of the EVE player base needed to make accurate predictions; even CCP itself might be lacking it, obtaining that kind of data isn't easy.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

And I *still* think we have a great community, even if there are some more trolls sneaking in lately... ;)

Numa, Canterbury and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.