Will Combat Skills and Crafting Skills count towards the same cap?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Rasmenar, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

Let me elaborate my question here by starting with some backstory:

In Ultima Online, if you wanted a crafter, you were basically committing one character to be a mule, effective only for crafting and harvesting resources.

Is there anything in place to avoid that feeling? For example, do Crafting skills have their own cap? That way I can have crafting skills on my combat character without having to trade combat efficiency? Or will I be stuck making mules again?

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

According to several statement made very early on the short answer is no.. Crafting and combat skills are separate.

The last I heard the basic plan was that the primary 'cap' to learning skills would be time. With new skills being added regularly the player simple won't have the time to master them all. It was also stated that IF there was a skill cap that it would be raised as new skills were added. Also one of the goals was that players should not feel the need to have more than one character.

To date I haven't heard any changes to these plans.

3. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

This makes me happy. Kinda the EVE Online approach, in theory it would take something like 36 years to raise every skill in EVE to level 5 or something like that. lol

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm personally a little skeptical.. but it all comes down to balancing xp gains and the like and most of these statements were made within the first couple of months. So we'll see how it all plays out.

5. Owain

Owain Avatar

I'm not sure how that will work. Do you earn separate XP by crafting things, different from the XP you earn by killing things and completing quests?

6. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

I talked to DarkStarr in chat about this the other day. Apparently we will have completely separate crafting and "adventuring" levels, EXP, and skill caps.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  7. Owain

Owain Avatar

I'm torn on this. If they had used the UO Siege Perilous model (one character per account/hard skill caps), you'd get fewer crafters, but they'd be more dedicated to their crafts.

If crafting skills compete with combat/exploring/gathering skills, you'd need to be serious about crafting in order to commit to being one. Under this system, everyone will be a crafter, and there will be less player interaction because of it. Not everyone can be a master smith/carpenter/alchemist/scribe/whatever, but everyone can be a master at crafting something, which diminishes the actual dedicated crafter who's sole purpose in game is to be a master crafter.

BillRoy [ab], Wrongway38 and Alayth like this.
  8. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

Yeah, I feel similarly. I guess I'm in favour of the system they have, since this means I'll be able to be as good at combat as I possibly can without having crafting completely cut off to me. But losing dedicated crafters certainly seems unfortunate.

9. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

Keep in mind: This likely means that, in order to be able to craft things, you will have to get supplies from another crafter. You can't just provide them all entirely for yourself. i.e. plate armor requiring leather straps from tanning.

Alayth likes this.
  10. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I don't need caps on skills as there are other ways to throttle things. I would prefer to see skills just increase by doing an activity or related activity.

BillRoy [ab] and marthos like this.
  11. marthos

marthos Avatar

I also prefer, at least for crafting, that skills gain just by doing an activity. It is very likely that the community will quickly discover the fastest way to gain crafting XP, and all crafters will gravitate to that activity in order to advance other skills. For instance, it may turn out that crafting an iron dagger gives you the most XP with the shortest amount of time and resources. So everyone will be farming the mats and making iron daggers, even the master Cooks and Tanners.

I would rather see crafting be more UO-like where you have to use the skills to advance them.

BillRoy [ab] likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.