Will companions be killable?

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by yarnevk, Nov 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

In single player offline of course, if they was killable in online modes griefers would remove all companions from the game if they could change game state.

Replaying Skyrim Special Edition, here is a good story why.

Stopped in the farming town for a drink on my way to the capital city. Heard a farmboy complaining about his farm life and how he wants to be an adventurer like me. Did a side quest convincing his dad to let his kid live a little. Got out of town as there was nothing else there for me too.

Months later I had to come back to town, something about loosing a goat, long story....Anyways this kid is sitting there in badly fitting iron armor and some cowhide. 500g and I will be his first customer as a mercenary.

All we I have to do is find the goat but ran into an giant and some sabre cats and he did well standing back letting me do all the work. So I says you want to go hunting, get a deer rack to put up on the tavern wall? Along the way we got jumped by a bandit scout and chased her into a cave. But they was sneakier than us and what we thought was a 2v1 turned into a 2v8, as they dropped down from a higher floor. I heard a yell and it was on. It seemed a long time as time tends to slow down in the situations, I was out of heals and barely managed to put down the last bandit before he gutted me. All I heard was the drips of blood from these fallen scum mixing with the water dripping from the ceiling.

And there lay amongst was this young farmhand. The one who wanted to be an adventurer. That was a long trip back to the farm with his axe in hand to give to his family.

Now I know as a player I probably killed him by mistake as he did look much like the bandits, and I did not know him that well. I know I could have gone back to my scum save. But I left the game state as it was, because his death told a good story that none of the quest writers had to even write.

In Fallout 4 I was all for the immortal dog, because nobody wants their dog to die but I had forgotten that companions can die in Skyrim (except the immortal quest holders that bend a knee when they take an arrow to it)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.