Will the Repair Kits ruin this?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Myrcello, Jan 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Hi all.

I just wanted to say that i feel like the Repair Kits might ruin something we loved.
    The Smith we loved to visit in town to get our Free Repairs of Armor.
    :(

(I hope we can´t skill up Crafting with killing Monsters)

[​IMG]

Lord Lonn, Moonshadow, G Din and 5 others like this.
  2. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I'd choose Smiths repairing my armor over kits. I liked this in Ultima Online.

Lord Lonn, Shiva2 and Kaisa like this.
  3. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I prefer repair kits as an emergency resource than the standard choice; I'd love if, as the crafting system comes in, repair kits become the way to get a quick fix on your gear if you're in a pinch, and proper repair requires a proper craftsman in his workstation, be it a PC or a NPC.

4. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i think there should be multiple types of repair kits

specifically to the type of armor they are. iron/maple, iron/cotton, iron/leather for iron armor, where it does 20-35% per kit if used on its specific type of armor - if it is the wrong type of kit, then no more than 10% improvement, and it CAN NOT improve it to 100%.

for copper armors, replace the iron with copper, when building the kit.

on top of that - i think going to a smithing station should be the only way you can repair the armor to 100%, but i think a mechanic that you repair there costs 70% of creating a new item from scratch.

that on top of the wish i also have for being able to dismantle items to learn the recipes with only partial recovery of materials, would bring this full circle.

5. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

exactly my point. i wear mixed gear sets myself.. if the icon for the item can have a background based on the primary material it is made of (orangeish for copper, grey for iron, silver for steel, white for cotton), it would help easily determine the type of kit used. - i do not see ANY logic with even attempting to fix a copper/maple chest armor with an iron bar and a leather strap.

KuBaTRiZeS and JazIronfist like this.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Actually the plan has always been to have both. Repair kits will decrease durability over time, for real repair to max you will need to go to a crafter.

So see repair kits as a field repair type of thing that helps run the economy. And see real repairs s something you do at a crafter.

7. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

I guess is this is the fear we all have about this game, we want it to have the spirit of UO without actually being UO.

I think we will see the smiths of the olden days if we can only raise a skill by using that skill, but if we can raise a skill only by getting experience (smithy by killing monster) then I doubt we'll see the community that we used to at the smithy.

If they have release information on the subject could someone post a link to it? I'm a bit behind the times right now as it were.

Lord Baldrith and Myrcello like this.
  8. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

repair kits are neccesary. some players dont have crafters not thier style of play. everyone plays to what they like best. some purly pvp others purly craft and others strictly like pvm/pve roll play gold hording and others even play just to hang out with frinds in a world together when they live so far aprt.

very few people are going to trust the random player to fix they armor if they have to hand it to them and hope they give it back. u want a player controled economy then id say npc vendors repair very little and create a way that players can safely pay a player to fix thier gear. i dont mind having 3 set of repair kits i do mind if they repair very little.

possiblites is that proxmity of the creator of repair kit increases the repairs and might add proxmity of said crafting station. blacksmith station for metal etc.

i really hate the idea of having to rely on npc vendors or that they can do something better than players. the npc system is allready broke enough lets not add more power to them. exmple... most of the food items cost 4 to 5 times the amount to make than the same item bought off of a vendor. i do not understand how an item that is made with items valuing over 300gp when put together create an item worth 5-30 gp. thankfully the extrems thier are not as prevelant as it is in other crafting items but i have seen it across the board. the idea of making npc repair gods i have a strong distate id rather push players into sustainable player based economy

9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm very anti repair kits. I saw repair deeds appear in UO and it destroyed the crafting community.

Few things I would actually like:

1. Items to be able to become so damaged they are beyond repair. In other words of the durability falls to 0 then it cannot be repaired and the only use for it is salvage.
    2. If repair deeds must be in the game, I would like them to only be effective in say the first 25% of durability. In other words if an item is 75/100 or higher it can be repaired with a deed. If it 74/100 or lower then you need a craftsman (npc or player) to repair it. Not only will this keep crafter busy but it also suggests than an unskilled craftsman (ie a warrior) can only repair minor problems with an item.
    3. I would also like to see some kind of bonus within the multi-player mode if items are repaired by another player. I really think player interaction should be encouraged and I would hate to think that a skilled crafters profitability is capped by what an NPC will charge.

Moonshadow, G Din, 4EverLost and 9 others like this.
  10. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

i honestly have to agree with several points envy made. may not be my personal preferance but the idea are boused in sound logic.

we might not agree in method but in principal i think we both want more player interaction vs npc interaction

E n v y likes this.
  11. marthos

marthos Avatar

The crafting system will have its own set of experience points that advance you in crafting levels. As you do crafting activities, you'll gain crafting XP and eventually a crafting level which will give you a bunch of crafting skill points to assign. This is separate from the adventuring experience you get from killing critters. However...the last I heard was that they plan to have a little bit of overlap. Adventuring levels might give you one crafting skill point, and crafting levels might give you one adventuring skill point. But the fastest way to acquire crafting skill points will be through crafting.

I really like the idea of crafters at their stations offering to repair weapons/armor. I also like the idea of repair kits, made ONLY by crafters, that can serve as a quick field repair but with several drawbacks such as not being able to go to 100% durability, reduces max durability, etc.

Sofiamia and Myrcello like this.
  12. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i love this idea, and i love where it wants to head using skill leveling - but there is just one problem with it:

ESO tried to come up with a similar fix, to keep people interactive and keeping the economy going.. where you got more expereince deconstructing someone elses item than you did deconstructing your own.

within two days, of its announcement, in response my guild came up with a system called leap frog crafting.
    i built a lot of level 5 iron daggers. you built a lot of level 5 bows. we trade. and deconstruct each others items.

within 6 hours of the games release, my ENTIRE GUILD were master crafters in every tradeskill. - two of which were gathering the materials to get started. - all we had to do next was research the traits. 3 months and 3 days, it took for that.

next patch, ZOS decided to address this, because other guilds were starting to catch on. and made it so you couldn't just make level five stuff for max gain, you had to stagger it up.. ok, 60 of these, 40 of these, 30 of these... and we had that cracked too.

having a system that a player-built SOP can render useless that quickly, is not fun to me. i WANT skill levels to be very important. i WANT to live next to the BEST repair smith out there, where everyone knows his name (NORM!), and comes to him for this one service - AND i WANT him to be able to make his living being That Guy.

I DO NOT WANT, to be able to go out and kill a rabbit, and get that much closer to being That Guy who can build all his own furniture, AND fletch arrows at the same massive skill level. just wrong.

13. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

i am sadden by the fact that thier is bleed over between crafting and killing. but then again id perfer stricter regulations on crafting and skill leveling. personally i think that releated sets you should be able to move points over to each other and not to non releated skills. exp. swords ok i can understand killing a creature with a sword could gain you experiance in lets say pole arms (granted its a stretch but same mechanics in essance) but it should get you experinace points to be able to be spent in magery. no releation to swinging a sword and casting a spell.

so take the similar concept in crafting. releated skills could earn you points in similar links.
    exp.
    butchery.... solid links to both cooking and leather working.
    i could do more but i think the point was made and a clear connection and since this is technically off topic ill stop it their.

i would agree that a crafter at a crafting station being able to fix armor and weapons but a secure means of ensuring you would get your equipment back i think needs to be in place. i also like that a repair kit may not be able to fix to 100 percent of total durability and even lower durability temporaly. however that durability being able to be raised back to 100% of items original durability. by that i mean if the item was enhanced so that durabilty was 110 percent and the player droped it down to 50 percent a crafter only could raise it back to 100 percent. same goes if the item was aquired and the durabilty was 50 the highest a crafter could do is repair to 50 percent. im sure at some point in the game will have the ability to quest or by some other means to get an item that will allow you to increase durability and that would be the only way to increase durability on an item that is sub par or raise a durabilty of an item.
    also im a firm beliver that any time an item gets to durabilty of 0 that no repair scroll can be used on it would have to be repaired by a crafter and have a percentage rate of failure based on skill lvl etc. so a higher lvl crafter that has put in countless hours would actually be more valuable to repair an item vs the simple crafter that is at a lvl to be able to do repairs. in essance anyone can repair something slightly broken but a true master is the only one that can fix something really broken

Myrcello likes this.
  14. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

the secure method IS the repair kit. you buy those off the crafter.

if you trust someone to handle your weapon, fix it, and hand it back - then buy their service.
    if you do not trust someone to handle your weapon, fix it, and hand it back - then buy their repair kits instead, and for the lack of trust you shouldn't be able to repair it fully, no matter how many kits you use.

when you take your car to the shop, or a PC in to be repaired - you GIVE the craftsman the item to be repaired, and trust they will repair it for you - AND that they will return it to you.
    this is no different, most often you are fine. rarely do you get screwed.

if skills separate themselves from character levels when the game goes live, i fully intend to perform this service for friends who do not have the skills. i'd also extend my service to 'if it was MADE by me, you will also get a discount on the repair itself - my cost to repair is all they'd pay.

15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Oooooh! i did not know that, nice.

Myrcello likes this.
  16. Emso Boydon

Emso Boydon Legend of the Hearth

The initial plan was to have separate pools of experience for the domains of combat and crafting. I am not sure how Portalarium is still going with that atm, but this has been stated as a goal for quite a while now, I think.

Dividing Combat and Utility Magic XPwise might create two separate schools of magic?

Link to quote: Magic, Combat, and Crafting Skills

17. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

You haven't been to Geek Squad have you?

Just to answer before the question - I worked there part time for 3 years.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  18. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Have you tried switching your gear off and on?

Spoon and Darth Jodoc like this.
  19. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

nope, know a few kids who worked for them. amusing way to do business, which requires even more trust than the other, letting someone into your home as opposed to bringing them your hardware. my point is still valid.

but i could be an anomaly there: if i were to need further help with my pc's, than i myself can do, usually that would be a forensic data recovery service. beyond that, its d.e.d.

20. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

then your all doing better than me since i have to take my computer to the shop. its where my computer is now. its why i watch the fourms. at this time all i can do is barly log in just to keep my house mine till i get my computer from the shop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.