Will you be part of a Kickstarter/Pledge for the next Episode release?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vallo Frostbane, Sep 24, 2016.

?

Will you pledge in the second kickstarter (Episode 2) and at what level?

1. Same as in Episode 1 Kickstarter...

16.0%
  2. Greater than in Episode 1 Kickstarter...

13.6%
  3. Lower than in Episode 1 Kickstarter...

24.5%
  4. I will not pledge in an Episode 2 Kickstarter...

45.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Berek probably shaking his head reading us. LOL

2. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Berek is probably secretly giving us 2 big thumbs up of approval.

Numa, Myrcello and Snikorts like this.
  3. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I know that's trying to be a smart, cutesy answer but, obviously, each Ultima game was it's own thing. It was something new. SotA episodes will be just more of the same game. Chalk and cheese in comparison, frankly.

4. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I'm wondering that the drain on the moderators is supposed to be from this thread, given it's been quite respectful and I haven't sensed any moderation going on outside of a thread name change after many many many pages?

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  5. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Spot on. The people involved, the circumstances, the time, etc. Its very different.

Canterbury likes this.
  6. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I think it is healthy for the community to discuss this topic.

What is detrimental, breeds contempt, insults intelligence and sends people running at full kilter (not walking) to post negatively on steam & mmorpg is doing exactly as Jammaplaya advises- shutting down threads, invalidating the viewpoints of others by stifling or deleting them, fact filtering and presenting a one-sided view.

There is no need to shut down a genuine friendly discussion.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    Myrcello, Mykll, Atmosfear and 3 others like this.
  7. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Your position is that it's been quite respectful, however you can't exactly say how many posts have been deleted, or if they were disrespectful in nature.

The problem is that discussing a topic like this opens the door to pointless bickering, which can lead to bitterness, disrespect, and the need for moderation.

Other gaming forums would have shut this down after the first few pages to as to not detract from views on other threads, and some of the games behind them have been very successful. Population-wise, you want to keep every single player, and never need to ban anyone, but the moderation style here allows pointless bickering to become disrespectful and then punishes people.

So in reality, you have to weigh out the damage from curbing freedom of speech, versus the damage from allowing pointless bickering, and in my experience games that find a healthy balance between the two are often the most successful. That said, I can honestly say that this thread is the perfect example of a time when the topic is so pointless that it could have justifiably been locked a long time ago, so that those same healthy conversations could be transpiring but on more useful and less pointless topics. We are also in a developmental phase and so other topics do require more attention and feedback than they are getting.

8. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Well, aside from having spent a lot of time in the thread in general, I'm not seeing stuff like people replying to comments that are no longer there, etc. I don't think this thread has been moderated much, if at all, TBH.

For mine, if the conversation remains respectable, it has no reason to be stopped. That's why, I would suggest, the thread continues, even if some people might not like the contents and worry it's "too honest" in places.

I mean... I get it... people who want SotA to thrive don't want threads that might discourage others. At the same time, however, how fair is it only present a santisied, everything-is-great version of SotA to people?

That's why, regardless of what side of conversations like this I might find myself on, I think respectful discourse is the only fair way forward. Especially when it comes to newbies reading the forum, it's essential.

Mykll, Kaisa and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  9. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

My post was clear on the matter. It's unfair to present the everything-is-great version of SotA to people as that's not the full story. So long as conversation is respectable, all threads and topics relating to SotA are welcome.

10. Numa

Numa Avatar

I've conversed on these forums with people on either side of the fence of single player vs multiplayer, PvE vs PvP and even the great debate on papermap vs the amimated detailed map (that we have now) very early on.

Have some of them been angry, sad or disillusioned? Yes but it's all rooted in a deep desire for this game to succeed. Crowdfunding means open discussion since the backers are all active participants in the development process at a very early stage.

Keeping the channels open is very important and much of the present quality of the game is due to the very active and at times acrimonious discussions tbat took place again and again. Locking threads are really meant to cool things down until people find their rational footing once more.

We're all adults here - we can take the semichaos which is the cauldron in which all crowdfunded development takes place.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Mykll, Kaisa and 2 others like this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

*chuckles*

Mykll, Numa and moko like this.
  12. mercster

mercster Avatar

Personal critique. That you feel "attacked" says everything. :)

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Canterbury like this.
  13. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Never :)

Numa and Mykll like this.
  14. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I just cleaned out a bunch of garbage posts and warned users for fighting with each other and derailing this thread. Please continue with the normal conversation...

15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

The force is strong with this one...

Just a fun question @Berek , why did you become Senior community manager ? Do we have Juniors ? :)

Mykll likes this.
  16. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Hey, just a warning. Garbage posts might get cleaned up, but there's no faster way to get a thread locked than bringing up community management questions and issues.

Tread lightly.

Rada Torment likes this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

You post is way more serious than mine, although I have no idea where you're coming from :p

Mykll likes this.
  18. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

*stretches, bones cracking

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.