Will you explore the mainland during the Alpha/Beta?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by smack, Dec 11, 2013.

?

Will you explore the mainland during the Alpha/Beta?

1. No - I don't want to spoil the game so I will not leave The Hidden Vale

15 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Yes - I want to explore and see as much as possible before the game launches

98 vote(s)
    78.4%
  3. Other - explain below!

12 vote(s)
    9.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, good point about them not revealing the story or plot. Maybe I'm being too much of a purist in terms of not even wanting to explore any of the towns or talk to any of the NPCs. If they're placeholder NPCs with placeholder dialog, that would be fine though. But I'm sure at some point they'll need to put in the real dialog and quests to be play tested. Maybe they'll test all that internally.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  2. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

You make a good point. If we talk to them about it, I bet we can get them to tell us which parts might be 'Spoilers' so we can make our own educated decisions which aspects to test..

3. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I'll be very surprised if we get to see much outside of the hidden vale until late beta closer to release. I think the whole point of the island was basically to have a contained test area without having to many spoilers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

tekkamansoul and Maka like this.
  4. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

Ill be exploring but not making love to mountains. :confused: I'd like to see more of the basic gameplay. I don't think it will spoil too much to look around and try some resource gathering.

5. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I will test everything they want me to test and help provide feedback in general, but it is not my intention to play the entire game before actual release. However, I'd like to get a good idea as to where I want my house to be. :)

Mattsy likes this.
  6. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

There is no "entire game" simply because there is no end game, so dont worry :) .

Something slightly irrelevant: When we are to choose lots, will there be a press release about each area the lots are offered in?

7. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Aye, perhaps I should have explained it a little more detailed. I meant that I would not go through every nook and cranny of the map, all quests and story related material and everything as if I was playing the released game. I'll have a different approach to the game during alpha/beta, I want to leave some secrets for the real release. :)

As to your lot choice question, I don't know. However, I want to somehow see every location prior to making my choice.

Golem Dragon and Seon like this.
  8. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

I think part of the fun of an alpha testing is going buck wild and discovering everything it has to offer, even if the devs didn't mean for us to discover it lol. Once I exhaust the options in town, I will wander around and see what I can find. Maybe there will be a bionic cyborg turtle near a tree in the mainland ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  9. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

10. smack

smack Avatar

Ok, so with the recent releases, I'm seeing more and more of the game....at least we're still on the Hidden Vale. But man, is this really testing my will to restrict my activities to this starter island only. I dare not think what I'd do once the mainland is available...

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  11. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes, I have been trying my darnedest to ignore any lore that pops up in the conversation system, but unfortunately to test the system one must speak with the natives.

I will eventually need to head over to the mainland to locate potential housing slots... If that were not the case, I would have simply remained in the Hidden Vale for the duration. :p

smack and Akeashar like this.
  12. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

Definitely. Need to find the coolest most awesomest place to stick my house... even if I don't get to go visit there until near the end of the Episode content. Part of the adventure can be Dude, Wheres My Home?

Terminator, smack and Duke Raas like this.
  13. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I voted no - but I'd like to expand on it.

I can't believe I said it, because I'm having so much fun running around in R1 to R3. The only thing that concerns me is Smack's comment about quests. I DON'T want to spoil the story, and I don't really want to start on day one having to re-do a bunch of quests that I have already done in alpha or beta.

If the devs can give us more to do, play with and explore without giving away the central plot and quest lines I'm all for it.

14. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

I'll at least explore the cities to scout for house locations :) And to test things that need testing, ect.

smack likes this.
  15. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Alpha and Beta versions are mainly for testing the program, finding bugs and imbalanced stuff and report it back to the developers to get it fixed before release.
    And if everybody only locks himself to a limited area, there will not be enough testing. So I will do what my limited time allows not only to learn more about the game, but also to help squeezing bugs out.
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

16. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I don't want or expect them to give away the full details or secrets of the plot, or even the full history of the world, but I do want to see some expositions towards better fleshing out some background societies, races, political standings, etc that make up the world's cultures

Basically, the same basic information that's been in every Ultima manual since it started. Don't spoil the big reveals, but let people start having some actual basis to create stories and in-lore roleplaying. ;)

smack likes this.
  17. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

I will not so much be playing in Beta, other then testing areas of concern to Devs, and looking for bugs.
    Explorer by nature, but will keep that in check till release.

smack likes this.
  18. Curt

Curt Avatar

Well will need to do some exploring in order to find my i want my house.

smack likes this.
  19. smack

smack Avatar

Ok, so it looks like R7 will have the first area you can explore on the mainland. Anyone change their minds yet? Decisions, decisions...

20. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I went. There isn't much in the way of spoilers there. Just a few enemies to fight and some gems to mine. If you leave the cave, too, you end up back in the Hidden Vale, so no big deal IMO. I mean, knowing the mine is there is as much a spoiler as whatever you'll find inside the mine at this point. :)

smack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.