1. NOTICE: The game is still in Early Access, which does not constitute a Launch! Please keep feedback and concerns tempered during this still-in-development period. We are working hard to make the game ready for Launch, based on your feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10 Issue and Workaround

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 25, 2017.

1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We have discovered a major compatibility issue with Unity and Windows 10.

When using Windows 10 to play Shroud of the Avatar, some users are experiencing intermittent sound hitching and terrain glitches. A potential workaround that sometimes helps when experiencing these issues is to run the game in Windows 8 compatibility mode. Instructions for running SotA in Windows 8 compatibility mode are below.
    • Use Windows Explorer to navigate to your installation directory and find the "Shroud of the Avatar.exe" file.
      • If you are playing through the launcher, the default location is either C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar.exe or C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar.exe.
      • If you are playing through Steam, the default location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar.exe.
    • Right-click your "Shroud of the Avatar.exe" file and select the “Properties” option.
    • In the “Properties” window, select the Compatibility tab.
    • In the Compatability tab, check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select “Windows 8” from the dropdown menu.
    • Click “OK” at the bottom of the “Properties” window.
    • When you next run the game, it will be running in compatibility mode.

J a i b y r d, Nelzie, Numa and 17 others like this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Is this due to the recent Creators Update for Windows 10? Because I run Unity games on several Win10 boxes without problems, but I've been delaying that update for them due to issues we have at work.

Trihugger likes this.
  3. animapfic

animapfic Avatar

Russian
    Обнаружили серьезную проблему совместимости с Unity - Windows 10. Чтобы убрать эту проблему, находим игру C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar.exe - Свойство - Совместимость - и ставим совместимость с Windows 8. Если STEAM C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar.exe - Свойство - Совместимость - и ставим совместимость с Windows 8

4. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

Hmm I'll have to test it and see if I have issues but at this point I'm still waiting one again for another Unity update that fix fps hitching.

5. Doctorface

Doctorface Avatar

Those running the game through steam can also right click on the game in their library,select properties, select the 'local files' tab and click on the button labelled 'browse local files' to find their install folder.

Numa, Solazur and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  6. ignignokt7

ignignokt7 Avatar

It didn't make a difference for me. Hitching is just as bad. In fact, might be worse? I was simply running across the overworld map and it hitched (with audio stutter) on me twice. I hope others have better luck.

7. infernal

infernal Avatar

I updated to creators a few days ago and I think the game is running a lot better but I also turned game mode on for sota

Numa likes this.
  8. Echondas

Echondas Avatar

Windows 8 compatibility mode didn't help for me - FYI..
    Hopefully this post about this was helpful in finding this!

3devious likes this.
  9. Womby

Womby Avatar

10. ⒹⒿAlleine Dragonfyre

ⒹⒿAlleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Doctorface likes this.
  11. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

@DarkStarr - I'm actually seeing less hitching and terrain glitches since the last update. Hopefully sharing this info can help isolate the problem.

Edition: Windows 10 Home
    Version: 1703
    OS Build 15063.674
    Processor: i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz
    RAM: 16.0GB
    GPU: NVIDIA GeFOrce GTX 1060

12. Valor

Valor Avatar

Using 8 mode seemed to slow down my client

13. Echondas

Echondas Avatar

@Valor same here- I turned it back off and I just quit the game and reload it after every 2-3 scene changes

14. deonast

deonast Avatar

So I'm guessing that the rockfall in the entrance to the Epitath at Desolis is nothing to do with this glitching on windows 10 and a recent design change made by Devs? I used to be able to walk straight in, there is a gap at the bottom but too small to walk through. I set to compatibility mode just in case, but looks the same.

15. Echondas

Echondas Avatar

It’s in the latest patch notes as a known issue

deonast likes this.
  16. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Just something I did find: If you have a gsync monitor you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Right now (as of drivers 388.10 Hotfix) windowed fullscreen gsync doesn't work. It's got to be straight full screen to have a shot and even that seems like it's hit or miss with some people. What it does is basically alternate between half your refresh rate and your max refresh rate giving you the worst you can possibly imagine coming out of a monitor. I got lucky and regular full screen works.

17. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

@DarkStarr

I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 because Bill Gates taught me a log time ago to wait at least 2-3 years when a new version of anything that says windows on it comes out to let the underpaid employees at Microsoft have time to get all the bugs and glitches worked out... :)

I've been running Windows 8 & 8.1 continuously, and the music hitch has been there and getting progressively worse for several months.

In game music needs some love... Maybe even some heavy petting...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I too was trepidatious, but upgraded my and all of my family's computers shortly after release and have had no significant issues.
    In this case, I feel the common wisdom and associated caution is unwarranted.

Numa, Cordelayne and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  19. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I've been experiencing only minor issues on my Windows 10 machine. It might be that my system is excessively fast, having only recently been put together and it is fairly high-end. It's more of a "mid-range" system, but on a handful of benchmark tests, it has scored as better than a handful of high end gaming systems. No, overclocking.

Anyway, the hitching and such, might be happening, but clears so quickly that I don't really notice it much at all.

20. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

Maybe it's a RAM thing then...
    The computer that I play Shroud on, is one that has the minimum suggested amount of RAM and other specifications.