Winston (and Winfield) has less time, yet more energy!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Winston, Jul 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winston

Winston A Data Guy Moderator SOTA Developer

Hello everyone, thanks for being patient with me in the past few weeks, as I have not been around much. Let me tell you what's going on with me.
    • I had a death in the family and had to travel for a few weeks. I am still handling some aspects of that for the next several weeks.
    • I am moving from San Antonio, Texas to Bristol, Virginia before Thanksgiving. This involves back and forth, back and forth between both homes every few weeks, as I work to refurbish, sell, down-size, and move stuff.
    Yet, I have a LOT of energy to do things and a positive attitude about Shroud of the Avatar. I feel more focused with that energy and want to use my limited time to do new things, not maintain things. After all, I am a development engineer in real life. I want to play the game more too which I could not do when I worked full-time in my career (I am retired now).

It's hard for me to predict exactly what I will do each month or week, but in the short term I am focused on:
    • New User Analytics (as Winston ... a data guy)
    • Player-towns and Livestreaming (as Winfield ... a governor and fisherman)
    In my limited time, I want to balance playing the game as Winfield and helping the Devs as Winston.

I want to have fun and help everyone else have fun. It's as simple as that.

Thanks for listening!!

-- Winston (and Winfield)

2. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Yup! What Winston said!

Keep fishing!

3. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

Bristol Virginia eh?
    Cool, that's maybe 2 hours from me :)
    Definitely less heat than TX but get ready for a cost of living shock.

Oh.. and we tax you for all your toys! If it's got a tag... you're gonna pay for it every year!
    We just got our Personal Property taxes and thanks to the current shenanigans they just appraised my Wife's 2020 Honda CRV at $35k for taxation purposes

4. Yigg Endimion

Yigg Endimion Avatar

Sorry to hear about your loss, it's never easy. I also wish you the best, those cross-country moves can be a pita. As for my rant about fishing the other day, it was nothing against you, I'm sure there are factors I have no idea about. Anyways, hope the move goes well. Be safe and take care.

5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Damn, that's like right on the border with NC isn't it?

6. Winston

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  7. Isabel Ayin

Isabel Ayin Avatar

I'm so sorry for your loss and I'm with you in your grief, Winston.
    I'm glad you're back with so much energy and enthusiasm, it's always fun to see the data guy in the game :)
    And as Governor, would you be so kind as to tell us what your POT is, please?

8. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Sorry for your loss as well. It's been a rough few years.

9. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Will be interesting to see what you come up with next :)

Good Luck with the move / family situation

10. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Sorry to hear about your RL troubles - double reason to thank you for the effort you've put into the contests.
    Good luck with the move and I hope you'll have a superfast highway for your ones and zeros in your new home!

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Sorry to hear of your loss...
    Your move from SA to Bristol has been ~Time Lord~ aproved, please proceed! :D:thumbs up:

12. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

My POT is called PaxLair. I am the Governor, yet @Sean Silverfoot runs it as the City Manager and with many other roles.

PaxLair has a vibrant history back to 1998 in Ultima Online on Chesapeake Shard as a player town and is still there and active today. It still has its famous GM-blessed "twin towers" with Lord British's "proclamation of distinction" plaque above the Mage Tower's doors. PaxLair is a statehood of a few UO player towns and a large alliance of guilds led by @NANOC on Chesapeake. There are daily activities in the UO PaxLair Alliance thanks to many leaders/members there with NANOC and Phoenix.

In Shroud, PaxLair was the first POT made and came out in Release 17. The Forest01 template is affectionally called the "PaxLair Template" which Developer "Hutch" made over a series of months. Many players, guilds, and future POT governors and groups helped create the concepts for POTs back then. It was a golden age of ideas, interaction, and cooperation.

I hope this helps a little. Thanks for the question! It brings back many fond memories and sparks of energy!

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It sure was.

14. Isabel Ayin

Isabel Ayin Avatar

Wow, I had been to PAXLair several times but hadn't noticed the Governor's name!
    It's nice to know that your POT has ties to UO. I have changed the name of my POT to Umbra Regnum in homage to UO. It is a time that also brings me beautiful memories, among them, at UO I met my husband with whom I have been married for ten years (ten years and ten days!), and at the entrance of Umbra we had our homes.
    I am very glad that my question brought back good memories for you :):)

15. Winston

Whew,... I finally made it "home" to San Antonio, Texas after 30 days of travel away from "home". I say "home" in quotes because I am actively preparing to move my home to Bristol, Virginia as I've mentioned.

I just posted my Fishing and Treasure Hunt contest results for R103. Congratulations to all the winners and thank you to everyone who participated! See Results At:

As many of you know, I also announced that I discontinued these contests after R103 (28 July 2022) for reasons explained here:

Yet all hope is not lost! It is wonderful that Diablotine (@simon1974) stepped up to run a similar monthly release fishing contest where players can add their Player Owned Towns too! See:

What am I going to do now?
    • Mow my lawn, oh wait, it's been 100+ DegF in San Antonio with no rain for nearly a month! My grass has not grown much except around the fringes where morning dew collects. I'll use the weed eater.
    • Unpack and sort out 20+ years (er, some are 40+ years) of boxes of stuff in my house. No, I am not throwing away my college notes and textbooks! I am retired, but I might (just might) become an adjunct professor somewhere -- I have to brush up on my Calculus again. This would be fun, but I don't want to make it a "job". We'll see.
    • Get back into New User data analysis to help the SotA Devs. I have more equations & algorithms to code and data to collect. Fun!
    • Play Winfield ... remember him? That old fisherman. Oh, there's a fishing contest he can participate in! Wonderful! (i.e., Diablotine's contest)
    • Overall... just relax a bit and do fun and productive things.
    Thanks for reading / listening to me! Keep making data!

16. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

I miss "Fishing with Winfield" streams :) Glad to see you back.
    vj

17. Blake47

Blake47 Avatar

Olympe will be retiring from fishing with a perfect 5/5 record and passing her fishing gear to her
    “sidekick” Deaths’ Mistress…..

18. Blake47

Blake47 Avatar

**Now I wish I had been playing UO instead of WOW for all those years….But my Avatar (Olympe) I carried over to Shroud…..Just wish that renaming Avatars was not so costly…..

19. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I love the ties to Ultima and Ultima Online with our Player Owned Towns here on SotA. :)

Dara Brae, my POT, is the spiritual successor to Skara Brae (in Ultima, Ultima Online, and Earth). Appeared in Release 20, the first island POT that I helped design. The appearance of the Yew Tree was here in Dara Brae. Our Druids cut parts of the limbs of the Yew Tree in such a way that Yew Trees are now throughout New Britannia. We have a self-guided tour that takes you through many ties between Dara Brae and King Arthurian Legends, Celtic Lore and Legends, and all things Ultima. We also have the Kamakura Village with people that moved here from the Perennial Coast and brought their culture with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.