Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

With every release I despise player housing more and more

Discussion in 'Release 13 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

No, there's not a direct relationship beyond the fact that there are acceptable rules that the community sets.

amaasing, Time Lord and Joviex like this.
  2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

This all could be easily cleared up by a post by a DEV.

Time Lord, Joviex and Sir Cabirus like this.
  3. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Hate speech is kind of being overly dramatic about what people are saying here.

Besides, if you only decorated like that for "testing" purposes, I'd think you'd be laughing about it (or frustrated) that they haven't solved the stacking issue to your liking. Why so offended if it isn't the way you intended to decorate but only did it for testing purposes?

You can barely tell there's a castle there. It doesn't even look like modern art. It's clutter, pure and simple. For testing purposes. :D

4. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

My reply was in regards to the interpretation of the ToS and using it as inspiration for community driven rules that can be violated. As I mentioned, my interpretation of the ToS regarding offensive behavior has much more to do with hate speech.

It was for testing, and then for entertainment, as I also stated earlier in this thread. Bugs were posted days ago, also linked in this thread. Not sure what else to tell you here.

I'm not offended. I have strong opinions. There is a difference. I'm all for better simulation of natural phenomenons like gravity and how it relates with kinetic energy (or a simpler representation based on stacking limits for item combinations). I'm all for a basic framework that helps support and facilitates simple in-game governments for both NPC towns and POTs. I'm against personal ideals bleeding into decoration requirements that have far-reaching global implications on the housing system. I don't believe there should be any global limitations to housing or communities based on popular opinion.

EDIT: I'm OK with Drocis' suggestion about community rules, but with the caveat that the community in this case is isolated, and not a global constraint. Be it a POT or an NPC town... Either way, small communities is the only sensible solution I see to this problem.

5. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

If I say my land, my rule I have to give my neighbor the same rights. And even if my neighbor is stealing my sun, then I would go to him and talk to him. And if nothing changes I would move. This is for me the same as what some people are wearing (or not wearing). I don't ask for rules that everyone has to wear pants or should switch on cloth when entering a town. I'm already scared for the time when dyeing will come. Their should never be rules because it could offend a majority of players. If there are rules, than I would go with rune_74 that they should be by physic or weight.

I can't wait to see the first HOA (yeah I now know what it means) in New Britannia and get calls because my maze doesn't fit in.

6. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I wonder why this thread becomes so offensive :( There a more colors than black or white, why are people which don't like to see buildings as in the OP (and I'm speaking only for the release and not prealpha) automatically advocates of a HOA? For me it's a big difference if someone has stacked billions of Ankhs or wells (which is physically not possible) on a lot and to regularize the color of a house. Always to discuss in extremes is good for nothing :confused:

Kleshar, Caliya, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  7. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Jeez.

All the blah blah blah.

Its a simple fix..

POTs == owner can do WHATEVER THE HECK THEY WANT.

Public land areas in towns, since this is ALSO a SINGLE PLAYER GAME -- rules to maintain the EXISTING AESTHETIC by Portilarium.

If you dont want to follow the aesthetic setup in say OWLS HEAD, or ADORIS, GO TO A POT that appreciates your style.

But, by all means, lets give Port high praise for letting this topic flame along with no response.

Cheers.

8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Well this thread has got well out of hand. Not much tolerance on either side, players who want to be creative just need to think to themselves 'does that really look good and fit in the location?'. If it doesn't, just tone it down a bit.

Players who are looking for that much immersion they want to dictate what people can do on their property and what houses they can and can't place......all I can say is that I think you either need to be RPing on a PoT or playing Offline. It's clear that the general public are not your kind if people.

9. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Maybe I have read over this, but I found only postings from people which made very reasonable suggestions about compromises and on the other hand postings from people which don't like any rule about the restriction of decorating and want to force their kind of taste. Interestingly only the first camp is blamed to be dictators o_O

We need compromises to hold the whole community together. The suggestion to play offline reduces the community and is therefor not useful.

10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

That's because those who are creative and want to encourage freewill and freedom, are by their very nature are not dictators. Those who look to impose rules and restrictions based upon their own subjective ideals tend to fit better within the 'dictator' footprint. Either way we are not really talking about dictators here, it is more about a difference of opinion on how an individual wishes to play 'their' game.

I agree that compromises are required along with a bit of empathy. However I have no qualms over suggesting that some players should look to the offline model in order to fulfil their gaming appetite. I have seen some players in several other threads express more radical and extreme views with regards housing; the only place for these kind of views would either be within a Player Owned Town or within the complete NPC arena of Single Player Offline.

Tarsin, Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  11. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I can accept your way of looking at things, but I don't share your opinion for this statement. Freethinkers can be dictators as well as other people. And a world - or a game in this case - without any rules is be doomed to fail.

PS: Edit for clarifying

amaasing, Caliya, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  12. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

There's a very simple statement which best sums up the balance between freedom and dictatorship; Your right to swing your fists stops right where my nose begins.

There's also a simple fix for the issue here, which would aid with graphics lag too; Have a toggle on the house sign, disguised as casting a spell on the plot, which sets "Display Decorations On/Off." Leave the basic house visible, and load all the decorations when you enter the plot of course, but from outside once the "spell" has been cast you simply don't see them. Then it's up to the individual if they want to blank off a particular eye-sore without interfering with the right of people to make them.

Genuine hate speech, such as neo-Nazi symbolism etc should still be reportable, and if you go to a player run town, their town their rules entirely. But there's no reason anyone should be allowed to inflict their tastes upon others without consent; we're a community, in one of the trail blazing titles for community funded support and if we cock this up because we refuse to tolerantly live together we won't see many honest, community sourced games again... no Dev will take the risk.

So if you want to celebrate your beliefs, identity, religion (all religions) in a respectful manner, go ahead and do so. If someone doesn't necessarily want to be reminded of your ideals etc, accept their right to tune them out and have a different one. And let's all live alongside each other in tolerance and trust.

amaasing, Caliya, Joviex and 4 others like this.
  13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't think gravity and common sense are really subjective....or stacking fountains and ankhs 50 feet in the air. It is simply a broken game mechanic.

Caliya, Joviex, Tarsin and 1 other person like this.
  14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Sorry I don't think I was referring to gravity or any type of physics anywhere. If you read what I said, the first paragraph refers to how I personally define a 'dictator' and that the use of the word has no real place in this discussion.

The second paragraph states the need for compromise and understanding whilst pointing out that for some players, a compromise isn't a solution.

Not quite sure where you think I've referred to physics.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Throughout this whole thread....which was my argument about lot placement not really making sense.

This line you posted about subjective ideals:

Regardless, that line was hardly the worst line we have in here so far about us trying to restrict freedom, I hope that clears that up.

Joviex and Time Lord like this.
  16. redfish

redfish Avatar

And if people don't like the restrictions that exist in the game, they can go and play Minecraft. It works both ways.

Sir Lancelots, Joviex and Time Lord like this.
  17. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Still don't see what your getting at.....you need to read what I put....

"Either way we are not really talking about dictators here, it is more about a difference of opinion on how an individual wishes to play 'their' game"

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  18. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

I really like the idea of an option to just see houses in their default form when outside if you choose to do so. This would give everyone the choice to see the world as they want and also allow the creative people to do as they want.

I am all for options for people to make their own choices. And this so far seems like the best. Just one more simple choice to pick in the options menu and everyone could be happy.

amaasing and Time Lord like this.
  19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Which is why I'm so pleased this game is so 'sandbox' so that won't be necessary.

20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Yeah, sorry...I think I saw the first part there and with all the other comments in here of us want to dictate HOA rules etc it was more of just a comment as why I agree that it isn't really a dictating thing.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.