Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Wolves running away is ****ing annoying

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Inevitability, Sep 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inevitability

Inevitability Avatar

This makes melle so much harder to grind and farm wolves.. Archer can just auto attack and spin around and lure everything around up which gives bow users an unfair advantage..

Leelu and Budner like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Fight something else?

I think mobs don't run away enough. If they see you slaughtering everything, they should run away. If they know they're outmatched, they should run away.

They should really only stand their ground if they think they can win.

3. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

i love wolves... just use a chain lighting and wolfes are getting back to you :)

Leelu likes this.
  4. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

All you have to do is wait. Harvest a passive node or two, or three, of some type. They will attack you eventually.

x_Selene_x, uhop, Elwyn and 1 other person like this.
  5. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

The unfair advantage angle does not fly. Classless, so it is by your choice.
    That said, obsidian arrow is a great glyph to pull them back. Once hit one time they come to you, usually with friends.

Not trying to dismiss your frustration, just not buying the argument. Peace.

Jivalax Azon and Leelu like this.
  6. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

ya I get tired of chasing them but.. I have found that just as soon as I start chopping a tree they're all up in my face...along with their friends... relatives.... neighbors....

Jivalax Azon, FrostII and Leelu like this.
  7. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Avatar

Get yourself a tagging skill in your deck. Flame arrow, obsidian arrow etc.

Mitara, FrostII and Leelu like this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Even melee purists should carry at least one "ranged" skill, even if for just this one issue.
    I use Obsidian Arrow on my swords guy to get their attention and they run back to fight.

Kambrius, Mitara and Jivalax Azon like this.
  9. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Immolation works very well.

Mitara and Elwyn like this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I personally like the fact that animals are no longer instantly aggressive. Sometimes they have to be provoked. Though I have noted that they seem to have no qualms about coming after me when my health is low. :)

Animals by their nature do not always attack people on sight. After I thought about it a little it became quite refreshing to have a game where they sometimes don't want to fight right away. I don't feel like I have to kill every animal in sight just to chop down a tree or pick some cotton.

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I agree with Bowen.... ;)
    We need some unpredictability and they've given us some...
    It's all good. :cool:

Nadomir and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

would be nice to be able to throw some meat out to feed them :). I wonder if they could implement something like a reputation system for animals. It could work with the item affinity. If you are carrying the sword "wolves bane" then perhaps the wolves would instantly aggro on you. Not sure about how to gain favor with them though, maybe just use the charm animal spell, if its still there. Have not played a tamer.

13. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

It seems to me that the animals who are hostile do a threat level evaluation, or at least the wolves do. The green/weaker ones will sometimes run from me, whereas the yellow/stronger ones rarely do. Based on the anecdotal evidence, I wouldn't be surprised if starting a harvest lowers your threat level, and so when the wolves recalculate, they suddenly decide you are easier to take down.

As I said, I mostly observe this on wolves, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bears did something similar, and any other 'natural' animal. The undead/magical animals may have different things that drive them.

uhop and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

In the past there complaints about creatures just standing a few feet away from each other with the sole purpose of attacking you and attacking you at atrocious amounts of distances. While I understand if you want to or need to kill that wolf pack for a quest for example ;), it is still better in the long run to see the development team putting some interest to creatures and their interactions with our avatars. Of course it is not a perfectly completed idea or system, but thus it is a beginning and an opportunity to provide feedback of what we would like to see them do.

One of the biggest grindiest games ever was and is Tera, which had creatures that only stood a few feet from each other to attack, not always attacking since it was level based, but still very boring indeed;). So good ideas for how these creatures should function is what would be great. Sometimes I want the wolves to come back so I can hit them since I am a warrior, but then I remember and say to myself oooh this is progress, and I say oh cool they are acting differently than just any other grindy normal game;)

15. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

Thats just typical you... you wanna set fire on everything... :)

Fister Magee likes this.
  16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I enjoy the wolf behavior when meleeing. It adds to the game's unpredictability which is a good thing.

Rada Torment and Spoon like this.
  17. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I've noticed the opposite behavior upon first contact-- the lower level wolves attack more often than the higher level wolves. My thought was, if a wolf could talk, the elder wolf would say something along the lines of, "how do you think I got to BE an elder wolf". Though, once I'm in combat with something, or harvesting something, all nearby wolves seem to attack.

Duke Olahorand and Spoon like this.
  18. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

I don't roll with a ranged spell anymore, since they added a cast time to Searing Ray. Wish there was one insta left for pulling ><

My Deep Raven tactic is:

Sprint. Ensure line of sight on a couple to draw, whack a few more on the hinney with my 2HS, cut over to a few more then plant and thrust away.

The runners will find your backside too tempting to ignore, and throughout the battle adds will come in. Then I pop AoEs (corpse explosion) and more blades. Too bad CE is still buggy tho...

Recover focus while skinning (and get craft xp)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  19. Gix

Gix Avatar

I just stand my ground and charge my attack for when they come back; they usually come back 3 seconds later.

With that said, I do wish there was a way to grab someone with my free arm... so that I can stab them proper.

20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Stun skills are a key here. Wolves never get away from me, I walk up to their range, his my heavy armor skill to rush them, knock them down and then add another wold head to my current pile of over 1000 :)

just remember, once you damage them once, they stop running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.