Wooden Weapons, Staves, Staffs, Sticks, Shillelaghs, Clubs, Nunchaku

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by High Baron O`Sullivan, Aug 12, 2013.

?

Would you be interested in a variety of simple and effective wooden equipment?

1. Yes....wood can and would be a valuable asset in protecting and defending yourself in SotA

94.7%
  2. No Way....wooden equipment could never compare to metals and would be ineffective.

5.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I was wondering if there was an interest in seeing basic combat weapons in their most primitive state? I think it would be a very nice addition to SotA. Having been used for thousands of years all the way until modern day, wooden weapons have been an effective form of protection and defense. Just a few examples....thoughts

[​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

And what about basic stone slings?

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Margard

Margard Avatar

I was just thinking that I wanted a walking stick :)

4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

It should be regional. Some societies should have basically no metal and others basically no wood.

A bow is a pretty effective wooden weapon.

Time Lord and Mordecai like this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think wooden weapons get a bad wrap in games. They should not be under estimated. It is true that they take more damage but they can also be very effective and the damage they take depends parts on what's being used against it.. how you're using it but they generally will last for some time in most cases. Just your standard staff can be pretty brutal in the hands of a skilled user.

6. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I certainly would like the ability to use a bo ( long staff) or, even better, a sword cane :) Enemies tend to underestimate you if not you're wielding a massive metal weapon ;)

Jambo and Time Lord like this.
  7. stile

stile Avatar

Quarterstaff's can be deadly wielded in the hands of someone who knows how to use them. Their reach alone can often make them much more formidable then any type of sword in the right hands.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

And what I think most people don't realize is just how bleedin' fast a staff can be.. if you don't account for both ends you're screwed. Not to mention being perfectly capable of cracking your skull open like a melon as well as being well suited for defense.

9. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

It's all about the Rattan.

10. Montesquieu Paine

Montesquieu Paine Avatar

All else being equal (skill, stats, bodybuilds), quarterstaff beats sword. Ditto, truncheon/knife.

That said, the psychological deterrence of a sharp metal blade is far greater than that of a smooth wooden stick.

Each of staff, cane, and truncheon, and even yawara stick, can thrust just fine too -- especially if you know the strike points.

Also, most people never learn swords, or sticks, have two useable ends...if you hold them right.

11. rild

rild Avatar

There's a reason the spear has been called the "king of weapons". I would like to see real spear-work (and other polearms), using staff and blade together for maximum effect, rather than just poking people from a distance.

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Having proper, unique animations based on weapon types is going to be tricky. There's just so many cool moves you can do depending on what you're using.

13. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Well, for spears and other polearms, if the animation for quarterstaff was done, and they just put a space for "choose your own weapon head" on one end, then that animation could be used for close combat with polearms. Once someone gets close enough that I'm going to be using the back end of the haft, the movements will be very similar. Admittedly, each individual type of polearm will move VERY differently at the six to ten foot range, but I'm willing to accept a set of generalized animations at first, I mean, thrust, sweep, hack, twist, that generically describes everything from naginata to spear to halberd.

rild likes this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think it all probability we could get a lot of nice weapon animations through crowd sources.. but probably not until after launch and heading into EP2. There's always modders out there looking to change things and I can only imagine the modding community/content creators wanting to make their mark on the game will be substantial post EP1. Until then I do think we'll have to live with some generic moves with polearms. It makes me sad.. but no more so than every other combat system in any other game.

rild likes this.
  15. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

BUT.......Fire damages your weapon alot and youll have to go cut another branch and make a new one! Im all for wooden type weapons!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.