World chat

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Fei Akhart, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fei Akhart

Fei Akhart Avatar

Since I started playing I found strange not to have the possibility of "world chat". Is there any reason for this type of chat not to exist (in addition to the private, zone and local)?

I see this type of chat as a great way for players to interact, regardless of which map they are on, decreasing the impression that the game is empty.

And if people do not want to see that kind of chat, just turn it off.

2. MetricPig

MetricPig Avatar

I suspect it is to give the game a sense of scale and distance, with locaL communities etc.
    However, given the current active population it may be time to consider this.
    Another option is regional chat if the population is too large for world chat.

Coffee Pirate, Fei Akhart and Xandra7 like this.
  3. Selene

Selene Avatar

I'd imagine one reason is lack of staff for proper moderation.

Fei Akhart likes this.
  4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

It's easy to search the forum and find many discussions on this.

The biggest reason for not having global chat is spam. Every game with global chat has had to either put in code to prevent the bulk of spam (gold sellers, RMT, etc), or have staff to respond to reports. While SotA allows RMT transactions, they must be initiated in the forums or other offline location.

Even scene chat was only added with the option to disable it, due to fear the larger and more popular s enes (big cities, Outskirts, etc) would be flooded by spammers.

I hope they don't add a global chat, but if they do I suggested making it pay-to-enter. For example, you buy an Ornate Orb that adds a chat channel, just like the Nobles Orb. If you get removed for spamming, you've still payed to improve the game.

Jaesun, majoria70, Lained and 3 others like this.
  5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

If I'm not mistaken (seen this on my fathers account when he showed me things) there is an item founders received that ends up doing "World Chat", an orb or something. Maybe a part of it is to not make that item useless?

Fei Akhart likes this.
  6. Browncoat Jayson

That item was designed to grant a few very high-level backers access to a chat restricted to those backers, but sometimes joined by the developers. So even if a separate global-chat item was offered, it would have no bearing on that reward as it still grants exactly what it was designed to do.

7. Koss

Koss Avatar

Well we need something... the discord chat that we used to have has been shot down. Episode 2 they said...

Really?

Coffee Pirate and FrostII like this.
  8. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Discord was implemented to the game a while ago however painful to keep logging in for to be effective, would love to see world chat added to help answer questions new players might have. Of course with an option to either mute a player or hide chat.

Xandra7, FrostII and MetricPig like this.
  9. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

But if you have a trade chat that works same way as global chat theres no longer a need to worry about spam in global will be just in trade chat.

10. Browncoat Jayson

No, it won't. If you give people an unfiltered means of reaching a lot of people, it will be used poorly. Every time.

Discord was kind of doomed from the onset, but I wasn't worried about it because it was totally opt in and required a separate account. Having the ability to spam everyone in the game is bad, even if its not being used for trades. It seems as soon as people get behind a mask of anonymity, they tend to make very poor choices.

Ostvel and Beaumaris like this.
  11. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

We have trade chat and general/world chat in discord .... i dont see anyone spamming trades in general chat or other sections then the trade sections ...so not sure every time applies.... but i understand your point of view also... i dont agree with it though.

I think a world chat would really bring the community together , not just friends in the guild, having the chance to meet new people everyday ,discuss , play together , (ingame) can bring more to the game then it can do to hurt it. Right now it has an ''isolated'' feel to it . An ingame chat would change that feeling alot. Im sure when port is ready we will get one...until then....lets not see just the downsides .

Here is an example of a simple chat :

3 tabs
    - World Chat (General discusions)
    - Events Tab ( no more pm everyone in friend list ) drop a message there and everyone can see it (Party on in X location)
    - Trade chat - Need a supple leather recipe but dont know where to begin searching ...post in trade chat WTB x recipe ...and youll have it in a minute.

I dont believe that having these 3 tabs ingame ( with the option to turn them off) can be as doom and gloom as you present it to be.

12. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

the discord integration was removed because of changes on discord's end. it's not like port's dragging their feet here.

13. Browncoat Jayson

Maybe. I've yet to play an MMO where those exist and are not a mess of RMT and filth, rampant sexism and racism, and total disregard for any rules.

No. Make them opt-in from the start, and I'd possibly consider it. Even /z (scene chat) is opt-in. I don't want to have to turn off more stupid chat. I'm having a hard enough time keeping the kids I play with somewhat isolated from the online content. We can't use friends-only if you can still get chat from everyone.

14. Shift

Shift Avatar

I think if the world chat/Trade chat was moderated it could work. If people are worried about spam from trade chat maybe make it so you can only post once a minute or something idk.. just an idea.. Maybe give people that are Dev+ moderation for The world chat.. idk again just another idea. I think the positives outweigh the negative.
    It will definitely allow people to connect more. Allows Newbies that are confused and don't know about discord ask questions without using a 3rd party app. If moderation is the key. Nowadays you can program chat bots to take care of most moderations. Look at twitch chat and other games like Warframe use a Bot to Moderate the Global Chat and it works great. Idk once again. Just Some Ideas.

Xandra7, Fei Akhart and Elrond like this.
  15. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Honestly i never was a fan of discord ingame ( sure its better then nothing) , but i hope we dont get that back again.

Xandra7, Coffee Pirate and Alley Oop like this.
  16. Browncoat Jayson

Portalarium said they didn't have the staff to moderate it before they had to slim down their numbers, they arn't going to have it now. Maybe they could find a Unity asset to do this, but "great" isn't how I would describe most games I've seen. Mediocre is closer. Too easy to get around automated tools.

Haha, no. Those are already some of the people whose spam I'm trying to avoid. Look in the player marketplace forum, and see if this is what you want to have to read all day.

I'm not against ways to help new players communicate. That isn't the issue. Its that allowing anyone to communicate, en masse, leads to bigger problems. I'm surprised the Hospitallers havn't gotten something set up so newbies can do a /help and get put into a queue for one-on-one chat. I'd think the devs would need to have something like that to deal with bugs or moderation.

17. Shift

Shift Avatar

Maybe it's just me but I don't understand why some members of this community can be so stubborn about making concessions. We get it, You grew up playing mmos without global chat in the 90's. I think it's time to get with the times. Having an mmo without a global is a bad idea and worst of all an outdated one. Being outdated is one of the biggest criticisms this games gets. Look I get that you don't want spam. I get that you don't want toxicity. I get that you feel like it takes away from the game and that it doesn't belong. But some of the community wants it. Why does it matter to you if other people want to use it? If you don't want global chat or trade chat Just shut it off. Disable it! Problem Solved. If people wanna use it, it's there and if you don't want it. Then don't enable it. You'll never know its there. That's what I do with other mmos like WOW. In fact that's what I do in this game. I don't wanna see emote spam. I don't wanna see NPC talking to me. I just click the cogwheel and uncheck them. It's as simple as that. Making the game feel less dated is one of the key components to attracting and retaining new players. I rather have a game with chat spam than no game at all.

Anvar, Coffee Pirate, Xandra7 and 3 others like this.
  18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Dang it, @Shift you said it better than I was about to...
    On the bright side, I don't have to type mine in now - I just liked yours and give it a .......
    +1

Coffee Pirate likes this.
  19. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

So having an option to mute people spamming or being rude on your side wouldn't help this?
    I do not have access to nobles chat however I do see it on people's streaming and I dont see any spamming but I do see people asking questions and advertising in-game events. Why shouldn't the whole user-base be entitled to having an option of world chat?

20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

They should be, and I believe that they will add it.
    It would make the world here seem more....... "alive", IMO ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.