Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

World Maps: The Minimum Expectations of 21st Century RPGS

Discussion in 'Release 4 Feedback' started by DNA Cowboy, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

To add another opinion on this apparently very heated thread : I don't care at all what the map looks like. Whether it is 1d, 2d, 3d, holographic or directly imprinted into my brain, what I would like is more interactions on the map. Specifically, I'd love surprises : random encounters and random events (gypsies, meteors, meeting by pure chance the only NPC master of bowcrafting in the woods...).

EDIT : I got another one : a system to call for help. A lone player realizes he shouldn't have engaged that troll alone and types /help in chat. Immediatly, all the players near that hex on the map will see it turn red and will get a chance to come and help him.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Hmmm, don't you care about the looks of the scene view, too? Would you like to wander through 2D cities and dungeons?

3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Wow Umbrae,

I had agreed with most of your posts up until this one...

They could go bankrupt so we should all shut up and accept we are donors ? And not complain when we do not even get one simple question answered ?!

We are supposed to have a community manager this is pure insanity.

Besides, if you want to give positive feedback for the map you can start a topic, its the feedback FORUM ! You don't go in other threads and cut people out because you're bored and want to create mini-wars in the community.

Thats even against forum rules... but two weight two measure huh.

P.S.- I'm also with the devs even if it turns out to be a fully single player game... so no complaints, but I don't go running around on criticism threads rub it in people's faces. EXPECIALLY NOT LAWYER THEM *wow, double WoW*

4. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

No, I really don't. I played some great 2d games, some great 3d games, some great 3d games with 2d sprites, some great text-based quests (not entire games, finishing those gets tedious :)). What really matters to me is the game in itself, the interactions, the possibilities.

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Then what are you doing arguing in this thread ?!

6. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Yeah limited time and resources is definitely a concern. I mean like I have said before I suspect that the main reason for the major map change might be limited time and resources. But the way I see it I don't think the current map we were shown really needs that much more work if it was going to be a fast travel map. I mean a little more functionality *like zoom in and out* some graphical sprucing up *but I don't think 3d models would be necessary* and your good to go.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  7. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

Incorrect, or at very least misleading. While it is true that in a legal sense we are not investors per-sé, as with most all Kickstarters, we have given money in consideration of a future deliverable (exception: the guilt pledge, but even that comes with the promise of forgiveness....or something). While it is true that RG could turn out some *&^%, call it the finished game, and walk away with the cash to date, you know darn well that's not the agenda and as I mentioned this morning in my monthly reality check, we are NOT the sum total buyers of this game. They want, and indeed need, it to sell well long after launch. It therefore is in everyone's best interest to discuss, debate, and share since we represent a sampling, a focus group of sorts for what will (hopefully) be a much larger paying clientele.

There is a percolating notion that Portalarium will do whatever and we should just shut up and be happy. This concerns me greatly as that is not in anyone's best interest, least of all Portalarium's. If the forums shut down tonight, they will be playing a pure guessing game as to what will click with buyers. We have an ethical obligation to engage each other here and embrace the crowd funded dev process.

But this is getting WAY off topic so I digress....

Kaisa likes this.
  8. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Precisely. And I see the same attitude in multiple PC game crowdfunding communities, so it's certainly not unique to this one. People, it seems, have this slightly skewed view of what their crowdfunding pledge actually is. To me, it's always been obvious that it's a gift/pledge/donation to get something created... and the reward is a copy of the game, or item, or service, or whatever it is that you kicked-in the money for -- maybe with some bonuses on top of that.

(And indeed, in some cases there might be NO reward, as the project falls over completely. People in this scenario have no comeback, precisely because it was only ever a gift/pledge/donation to get something created.)

As more people come to the crowdfunding table, however, that concept seems to go over their head completely. They seem to think they're investing and have purchased a seat at the boardroom table. Admittedly this isn't helped in communities where devs ask, "What do you guys think?" because that just amps-up the already incorrect interpretation, from some, that they're really sitting at the boardroom table. It's a widespread and, unfortunately, growing attitude.

Devs in communities like this love feedback. Absolutely. No doubt. But we all have to rein it back in sometimes, and take into account that, ultimately we aren't in the driver's seat. They are -- and they will make their own decisions.

Time Lord and Umbrae like this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

way to miss my point...

anyways !!! ^^

To me if we're forced to get a world like hex navigating, make it like heroes of might and magic, minimum...

there has to be a little bit of fun here and there without having to stop in each hex, although I like 3d, if you pull me out I like to explore the map, have a feeling of discovering something with obstacles, enemies... etc... I want to fast collect ressources too, no way I stop in each hex to verify just for trees... I understand you want to limit things but I cannot handle back and forth !

thats what the demo looked like, heroes of might and magic 4, thats what we're going to get !

let me carry some companions too !!! or an army of golems ? a dozen pets ?!

Theres no way, we should be allowed to have that kind of fun, please.

Somehow... make it so !!!!

*awh that felt so driver seat*

10. Floors

Floors Avatar

Can we have a 3 scale map ?

11. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I had a professor who once said "If you can't find the solution to the problem, abstract out another layer."

DNA Cowboy likes this.
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yay ! people getting my ideas !

Heroes of might n magic combined with DnD :) Puurrrrfect fun... not forced to go to 3-d mode for casual tasks !

13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

My dream solution would be a monoscale isometric view just like in Divinity Original Sin... one can dream...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

For a solo RPG you may get away with a paper map but that could mean the storyline may take a few hours not the 40 hours we expect.
    Its Being sold as a Persistent world MMO sandbox were exploring/discovering a world at your own pace is a must have. It needs to be unique because RG calls it the spiritual successor of UO & Ultima.
    UO as been enjoyed for 15 years it's getting hard to imagine this surviving for the 5 years of planned expansions.
    Who will be looking forward to 5 years of instanced scenario's loading on a fast travel map.

15. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

I agree. I was surprised they went for an MMO when Ultima type games would have been massive hits then followed on with an MMO.
    3d isometric is the only way to go for a MMO world map if you are not having a full big 3D world

16. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Yeah I think 3d isometric would have been the way to go. But its far to late for that.

docdoom77 likes this.
  17. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Something was not right, certainly the placemarker for me was terrible, I don't want to see a flag criss crossing around. I will hold judgement until next release to see if the fidelity has changed, it was clunky, ugly and bland. With time i can work, the style isn't bad but obviously it just needs so much more work to make it look in anyway decent.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Wagram, we are only expecting 40 hours ? What do you mean *scared*

19. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Storyline ( the main quest) will be about 40 hours gameplay, the rest will be what you make of it.

20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

episode 1-5 ? :/

some people go around saying "SotA is not a MMO"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.