Would Robin Hood Glow Red?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cordelayne, Dec 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Stealing is stealing no matter where the fruits of one's thievery ends up. Also if one is training for a skill that isn't virtuous, isn't the intent to one day actually use it?

Hmmmmm....

2. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Sounds to me that the Red Badger is alive and well in Novia, thanks to Cordelayne o_O (NBTT reference ;))

....and who is to say that the Oracle doesn't know what evil thoughts you are thinking (especially if you are training in a nonvirtuous skill, as Sean Silverfoot noted above) ? The Oracle sees all... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  3. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Robin Hood wasn't stealing from the rich though, he was taking back taxes from a corrupt politician.

Still red though, imo.

4. Mekong

Mekong Avatar

Don't ask questions brother.....one of us...one of us

EclipseMaiden and Cordelayne like this.
  5. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Robin Hood was a 'Hood', a vigilante, an enemy of the crown. He and his band of brigands had to hide and live in the woods for fear of being hanged if caught by any city guards.

Some poor villagers liked Robin, because he gave them food and money, and his reputation for not killing, and only robbing from the rich did eventually sway his virtue meter and begin to reveal the corruption in the elites, but that took time.

It would be interesting if the game could/would divide NPCs to different factions and then rather than just giving us a global 'virtue' level, we would also have a separate reputation with each faction, like the poor vs. the merchant class, etc.. I get what you're saying, but in a system with only two sides, red or blue, I believe Robin would be in the Red.

Cordelayne likes this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

I have one response to this:

"This redistribution of wealth is trickier than I thought!"

A Monty Python parody of Robin Hood -- Dennis Moore ends up giving so much to the poor that the poor get rich, and then he has to steal from the poor to give back to the rich.

There could be a lot of issues here I guess if you want to break it down. For instance... Whether you know the item you're stealing was actually stolen and you're giving it back to the rightful owner... or whether you're stealing just to rectify some abstract justice. Whether the person who stole it lawfully obtained it, even if unjustly. Whether stealing back the item is really the "ideal" way to solve the dilemma, or there are better ways.

My guess is if there was a "Robin Hood quest" SotA-style, you'd get a virtue hit for stealing or trespassing or breaking the law, but you might get a virtue boost for returning items or helping the poor. The virtue hits and boosts would balance against each other, and possibly your total virtue score would be higher in the end.

The SotA karma system is all explained here :

7. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Being able to justify one's crimes isn't virtuous, it's typical of the criminal.

8. Chaox

Chaox Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Little John: You know something, Robin? I was just wonderin'. Are we good guys or bad guys? You know. I mean, our robbin' the rich to feed the poor.
    Robin Hood: Rob? That's a naughty word. We never rob. We just sort of borrow a bit from those who can afford it.
    Little John: Borrow? Boy, are we in debt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.