Would you guys like combat like Sui generis?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by ChosenPredator, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChosenPredator

ChosenPredator Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqaRqih7Cuw 44 second mark, I really like how combat looks it feels like a refreshing take on it, it's also how I hope Shroud of the avatar will end up looking like visually but i think they have an interesting take on it.

& if you're curious about how the block function looks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPZ5yuiWWeE

2. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

wow, I like the idea, how every weapon has its own weight and the attack power depends on the muscles and the weight of the character (quite impressive for such a small project)

3. ChosenPredator

ChosenPredator Avatar

Yeah, it just seems like a breath of fresh air when it comes to combat, that and they don't even have an animator on the team supposedly so imagine when they hire a really good one to clean things up. I hope the dev team checks this out to get some ideas on how to make combat fresh.

4. BK_

BK_ Avatar

While the combat idea here definitely looks brilliant, I can see some problems with it in the multiplayer mode. High ping for some players would simply ruin the experience as it has to do largely with your own personal maneuvers and skills. So it will be a little bit unbalanced in the multiplayer mode, it just won't work.

As of single player, I would completely love the realistic combat system with no hit points as such and with actual use pf physics, body parts etc.

Also the project has only raised 150k in KS and they are building THAT type of system AND they have open world. SotA is raising the mill and we are still arguing over the non-full world system.

Hrm...

tamino likes this.
  5. ChosenPredator

ChosenPredator Avatar

It would be interesting to see some sort of mechanic of the more you swing the better your posture gets when you do it, actually training with a superior with wooden swords would be meaningful and multiplayer like any game that gives you that much fluid freedom would of course be an issue but just the attempt at doing something different can trigger a huge effect on gaming if successful- i link the video to richard twitter doubt he look at it though lol.

6. KFC

KFC Avatar

<blockquote cite="BK">
    Also the project has only raised 150k in KS and they are building THAT type of system AND they have open world. SotA is raising the mill and we are still arguing over the non-full world system. Hrm?
    </blockquote>

Yeah thats really sad...

tamino likes this.
  7. ChosenPredator

ChosenPredator Avatar

Yeah they did make much less and it looks more appealing, I wish they'd knock ideas back and forth .. in my dream they both merge and combined Sui Generis graphic arts/combat , Avatar gameplay/universe.

tamino likes this.
  8. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

It also seems like Sui Generis has more of the game mechanics and engine finished up while not so much the world and story, which is the opposite of what SOTA has.

Would be a good combo.

9. ChosenPredator

ChosenPredator Avatar

yeah it would be a fantastic combo I wish I could somehow get one of the devs to check it out before they fully implement their combat system...really these RPG games need something fresh when it comes to combat everything looks &amp; feels the same

10. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

There's really three things you can do with a mouse:
    1) Skill clicking (or menus, changing weapons, whatever)
    2) Targeting
    3) Camera

I think most people would agree that combat is too clunky if you need to use your mouse for 1. But if you use the whole thing for 2 (as they've done here) you'll use a lot of the camera manipulation you have with other games. One way to make this feel natural is to just make the combat first person. You target with the mouse, camera follows your head, restrictive but more realistic.

11. Luitpold

Luitpold Avatar

In the end it would most likely be cheaper than hiring an animator and all the equipment they will need. It will be cheaper because animators are unnecessary when everything is physics-based. That would free up hundreds of thousands of dollars for important things like advertising the game so it sells more units. Since the game isn't a single huge open world, the strain on a players PC is significantly less, so it isn't really impractical.

Also, here's a 1 megabyte game doing physics-based combat in first-person: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_DeZUg9HiY

I'd honestly be surprised if Lord British wasn't interested in that kind of thing.

12. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

I know the Sui Generis people put a lot of work into their engine. I wonder if they would let SOTA pay to use it at the very least.

13. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

@PrimeRip
    The realistic but restrictive view you are proposing is how it should be at all times. You should only be able to see the direction you are facing. :&lt;

This combat looks good. I love targeting body parts if it&#039;s relevant... causing a shield to be dropped, blinding an eye, freezing a leg ect. It would be cool in first person if you had to judge distances.

I&#039;d like to see a game get everything right for once. Then never have to wait and gamble again... just play it forever and never look back.

14. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

That's really how I imagined it all working 25 years ago. I wanted to combine Ultima with the limited online experience I would get connecting to a friends BBS (1200 bps dial up) with first person arcade combat like Punch-Out!! on NES.

Still remembering...you didn't even have a mouse back when III came out and every character of the alphabet was mapped to some command.

Underworld was pretty break through in terms of first person. And of course Doom followed by the FPS clones soon followed.

I'm not sure how this game really feels. Like Diablo? The camera rotation is a bit of a mystery and WASD can feel really weird depending on how in sync the camera is with the facing. As I said, I'd love to see something like this but a bit more first person to the camera turns with your head. It may not work but it would be a lot more natural.

WoW is very clean if you use mouse just for camera. But the second you have to click a skill...then maybe ground target a skill it's messy. If you couldn't tab target it would be bad as well.

A lot of the old Korean games were click to move because people would play mostly with the mouse while the used the other hand to smoke.

15. ChosenPredator

ChosenPredator Avatar

I love the targeting body parts as well, I love how weapons have weight to them, the PVP/PVE would be unique every single time...it's not the same click and watch swing action t ype of thing going on over and over.

16. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

There was a gameplay video that showed SotA with 1st person / 3rd person over the shoulder. As long as the lock the camera to be somewhat what you see = what your character sees = what you're targeting, then you can freely use the mouse for aiming. I really hope it works like this.

17. ChosenPredator

ChosenPredator Avatar

Link to that video?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.