Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Wrist pain after 30ish minutes of playing

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Sir Niccoli, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

Waiting outside the "Lunar Rift" to New Brittania
    Between the much too slow turning with the mouse, to do a full circle (360 degree turn):

4-6" of mouse movement if I go really slow
    4-6", pick up the mouse 5-6 times, if I go at my normal movement pace.

Second issue is click/drag inventory. It's not a convenience thing, as it's an issue with wrist pain, click drag just doesn't work when it's at such a high repetition level. Currently, I can't play the game. I don't have this issue with most of the games I have, even with some that have click drag.

It's probably a mix of the finite control (tiny items in bags), slow mouse movement, and too much repetition.

Arkhan, Tarsilion, TheCaptain and 2 others like this.
  2. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

I had this to some degree in release 1, moving items from chest to bags as well, though I didn't have a ton of time and didn't move that many items.

3. Margard

Margard Avatar

A trackball mouse could help you out tremendously (assuming you are not using one already) ...

4. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

I don't do trackball, and I don't need it for the 200+ games I have on Steam. I don't believe "I" need to adjust in this case.

Even going and playing UO on a freeshard, I don't have issues, and they have click drag. Darkfall was bad, because of repetition, but I created autohotkey scripts to work around that.

It's the lack of mouse acceleration, or the ability to adjust it (adjusting my razer doesn't affect the game, which means they have it locked to a speed).

5. demondread

demondread Avatar

I would really like to see automatic camera following during the wasd walk mode as well for the same reason, mouse response is terrible.

6. LadyM

LadyM Avatar

I can see your point Sir_Niccoli. After trying out crafting for a while, it is very repetitious to click and drag each item from the bag to the crafting table over and over. I wish there was a way to reduce the amount of clicking players have to perform, as it can become quite tedious after a while. Especially since at this point, movement requires mouse steering in order for the camera to follow where your character is heading.

7. LikeAfox2

LikeAfox2 Avatar

I agree. After running around both towns and trying some evasive maneuvering (PvP in future ;)), I found my hand a bit tired because of the slow camera scroll speed. Then when I started crafting, my hand REALLY felt tired from moving all of the single materials onto the tables to craft.

However, I am sure the speeds will be fixed for further release and a option to speed up or slow down the camera scroll speed will be implemented (I hope).

8. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

I certainly didn't have wrist pain but I noticed how slow it was to turn my character around quickly.
    Even after turning the sensitivity up with my Logitech drivers it didn't help.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Margard

Margard Avatar

My issue was that opening doors and chests did not seem to work properly ... it could also be a mouse issue

10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Odd, I had a logitech mouse in R1 and I noticed it was slow. I bought a new mouse because my logitech was cutting out on me and the new mouse is the perfect speed in the new game. It's a razer blackadder.

Crafting required a lot of dragging and dropping of items, I didn't experience wrist pain but I did get fatigued after a couple of hours. If you experience pain there is an excellent chance you have poor posture/distance from mouse to body that sort of thing.

For proper posture your feet should touch the ground, your arms should be at 90 degree angles, your knees at 90 degree angles, the monitor should be within I think it's 16-24" of your eyes. (although this can vary by size, there is probably info out there on monitor distance). but the important thing is mouse use, you should be moving your arm, not your wrist, if your writs hurts you are likely moving it. if all of these other conditions are met. You can get a wrist brace to help you with training your body if you are used to using your wrist for mouse movement.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I am having the exact opposite problem! Something is definitely strange with the mouse integration/acceleration. Mine is SO sensitive and jittery I can barely navigate. A tiny (and I mean less than half an inch) movement will spin be 90 degrees from the direction I was facing. General navigation is tiny little 1-2 mm nudges, and still produces a huge jump in direction.

12. Last_Crusader

Last_Crusader Avatar

In general I felt the movement was "clunky" and could definitely be improved.

I would prefer the ability to "lock on" to the over the shoulder view (I think that is how it worked in WoW and I loved the controls there) .. or have a FPS optional view.

Holding down the right mouse button to look around (so you can see where you are going) is a bit tedious. I don't ever see the need to have my character walk towards the screen .. I can't see where he is going and then I just need to rotate the camera around.

Isaiah likes this.
  13. Margard

Margard Avatar

A lot of these issue could also be attributed to performance lag/clunky ness ...

14. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I wonder if they are using the raw mouse input, or the filtered mouse input from the OS. I think Unity uses the filtered input, but you can get libraries that get the raw data.

The raw settings have to have all the fluff stuff put in by the game developers, but that means they can better control the experience for the user, and allow them to tweak it within known parameters. The settings from the OS include things like acceleration, which is different for everyone and their mice drivers, and can result in different experiences. Also, Windows 8.1 reportedly screwed with some of the previous expectations and that could be part of the problem.

15. Bart2

Bart2 Avatar

I'm having similar issues. I actually get dizzy trying to move around. It is hard to control the direction of character movement. On my PC it is workable but not good. On the Mac it is just the total opposite. Move the mouse, sit and wait, and hope you didn't move it too far. I've tried the Mac twice, and had to just quit the game both times.

I also have problems with my wrists, however I know I have carpal tunnel syndrome. But this game is almost unplayable for me.

vjek likes this.
  16. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Yep. It's actually bad enough I've quit trying to continue playing for the rest of the test window. :-/ I spend more time running into walls and then struggling to get free again than anything else. When navigation takes that much effort, there is zero immersion and very little fun. Crafting (which does not need navigation) was fairly fun, but it only lasts so long when there's no xp or money to work for and none of this stuff will persist anyway.

lShintal and vjek like this.
  17. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

I'm aware of this, but I don't experience it normally from day to day gaming/work activity. If it was something I experienced all the time, I'd consider that I'm the problem, not the game.

However, I work 8 hours a day at a computer (yes with breaks, etc.)

I come home, and spend another 4-8 hours on the computer, playing various games. FPS, Moba, MMOs, etc.

In 30 minutes, I could tell my wrist was unhappy, played just a bit longer to see how crafting worked, then stopped. Then took an hour break away from the computer to let my wrist recover, and it still hurts mildly.

The main reason it's happening, after some retrospect, is because the mouse sensitivity is too low. I have to move the mouse much father to do anything of note, which means I have to pick up my wrist (usually it rests on the mouse mat, which helps keep it from getting fatigued). I also have a Razer mouse, a Lachesis, and it has the ability to up the dpi/speed/what-have-you, but it doesn't alter in game when used. Wasn't sure it was working until I Alt Tabbed out of game to find it was super sensitive.

Note: I get it's alpha, and I get they'll fix it, this post is feedback so they know there are issues. Honestly when I saw the amount of click/drag in the videos, I was fairly certain this was going to be an issue, based on my experience with Darkfall, which also has a high level of repeated drag/clicks.

vjek likes this.
  18. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Well I'll say the game can't hurt your wrist, it is something you are doing to yourself. Larger mouse surface so you don't have to pick up the mouse might be something.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Bart2

Bart2 Avatar

You're right, the game isn't doing it, but the way the mouse has to be used. I've had carpal tunnel for many years, it's hereditary, and I know my limitations. Having to hold the right button down, coupled with the erratic and constant movement makes this game more painful to use than any other that I've played. I've been working with a mouse since they were invented. I've tried trackballs, touchpads, and just about everything that has come along. There is definitely a problem with the UI in this game that requires more mouse movement than normal. Just for the record, I've been playing computer since Colossal Cave. I'm also a research genealogist and I spend from 8 to 12 hours a day on the computer. I know what works and what doesn't. This game has a problem.

Brenton, LoneStranger and vjek like this.
  20. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Is it something wrong with the game when some are experiencing slow mouse movement and others aren't? are you in windowed mode or fullscreen mode? maybe your logitech pointer speed will work in windowed mode.

Time Lord and Isaiah like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.