Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Wrist pain after 30ish minutes of playing

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Sir Niccoli, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This sounds like you should enter a bug report. It might be helpful to the dev team to know your system hardware and what OS you're running as well.

2. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Do you know the manufacturer and model of the mouse?

I can't believe it took me that long to remember the DPI mattered so much for mouse movement.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I see a huge problem with this picture! That damn heavy ass white iMac!

Sir_Niccoli and Mishri like this.
  4. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

FYI, with the updated versions, my mouse control is about a thousand times better. Thanks Devs!

5. vjek

vjek Avatar

Yep, it's been fixed. Thanks Chris!

6. jason silverain

jason silverain Avatar

The Mouse thing you speak on, is an Issue. I'm sure they will fix it, because I'm not buying a new mouse/trackball.

7. ITPalg

ITPalg Avatar

Use a mouse with adjustable on the fly sensitivity.

8. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

The fact that we're arguing posture/correct mouse use is fairly dumb. I mean, really? We're gamers/computer users.

I played for a few hours and I got tired of moving the mouse around to do stuff. It's not quick and responsive. I felt like I was playing Pong watching the cursor go back and forth as I grabbed and dropped stuff.

It's tedious right now, and the solution shouldn't be to go buy a really sweet mouse or jack up system settings.

SotA should function fine and have internal settings that allow for ANY kind of mouse to work.

I expect to be able to buy a 5$ mouse from Wal Mart that will allow me to play the game.

The point of this thread is that SotA is in the minority right now with quality of mouse interaction. Tons of other games aren't causing issues, so it is safe to assume SotA is at fault.

Also, for frame of reference, I am using a Razer mouse, and even with the DPI maxed out, I was like "ugh".

LoneStranger likes this.
  9. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Have you updated/played today? My mouse issues were almost completely gone this evening (release 59 I believe).

10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I wouldn't insult you for trying to help someone, and that is what it seems like when say my advice is dumb.

If you experiencing pain, investigate what you are doing because you shouldn't be if you use things the way you are supposed to. It has nothing to do with being a gamer, it has to do with knowing what you should be doing and actually following that. Part of that is I actually received training on this. In it's current state it is very mouse intensive and it's in our best interests to follow proper computer use to make sure we don't inflict permanent injury on ourselves.

I wasn't arguing that the game was fine as is, especially with so many people reporting issues, so the other part was gathering data on the differences of why mine was fine and others were seeing issues. I never suggested anyone buy new equipment to play.

11. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

The whole line of discussion in that direction is fairly dumb. It assumes people who've been using computers for 20+ years don't know what they're doing, and it basically dodges the actual issue.

This ignores the fact that it was mentioned that every other game the person plays doesn't have this issue come up. If the person was doing it wrong, the issue would be noticed in other games too...

No, but someone else suggested a trackball. And, spouting about DPI could be seen as implying that a mouse upgrade is in order.

LoneStranger likes this.
  12. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

Waiting outside the "Lunar Rift" to New Brittania
    My wrist pain issue is for two reasons, this is after going back and actually looking at what I was doing and why:

This was only because of camera rotation with movement, not mouse cursor speed.

I was turning my wrist to compensate, I wasn't doing this consciously however.
    The reason I had to compensate was the slow turning, this is game design.

So yes, I was moving my wrist in such a way that caused it to hurt, but I was doing so unconsciously because our brains are smart enough to try to compensate when things don't work like normal.

So Mishri was right in the fact that I was 'doing it wrong', however I was doing it wrong because of bad mouse input or turning speed slowdown. Until I actually went back into game and analyzed what was causing me to 'do it wrong', did I realize what specifically it was. I had assumed it was the large amount of repetitive mouse movement (which I'm not a fan of), instead it was the turning of the camera in movement. Though I'm sure that once the damage was done, it didn't help to try and do crafting, which can be summarized to:

click/drag
    click/drag
    click/drag
    *click*
    "dammit"
    click/drag
    click/drag
    Shift/click/drag
    Shift/click/drag
    *click*
    "wth?"
    (however that's a different topic I suppose) ;)

I didn't get a chance to try it out after the mentioned fixes however (build 59 I think), I'll be sure to see it in R3 I'm sure.

Mishri likes this.
  13. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Shame you didn't get another chance to try it out. Everyone was saying it was much better. One thing I do that maybe others weren't is whenever I move I hold down my right mouse button, that essentially was locking the camera in place and I'd make adjustments as needed from there. (I think holding both mouse buttons achieved the same thing)

14. Watson

Watson Avatar

I understand the desire to make this old school with the "click/drag" but really ... there's a reason why "old school" is "old hat". Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) wasn't really understood properly back then ... but at least NOW interfaces have since reflected an attempt to reduce the impact on the user.

Can we try an limit the "click/drag" repetition? If a user wants to move something from one place to another and there is only one place for it to go, then the interface can clearly be streamlined into something less RSI inducing.

Arkhan likes this.
  15. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

That's the one unfortunate thing for SotA.

You can drag stuff out of a container and into any other available container, or even the ground. So, the system doesn't know where to put it.

Now, it would be nice to have a key you can press so when you click, things auto-inventory themselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.