Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

XP gain/progression - wrong direction (opinion)

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Study_Break, Oct 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Study_Break

Study_Break Avatar

You expect they're going to tolerate any version of it in the future? There's a reason it didn't get pushed into R34. Who would want to play a game like that? Honestly w/ soul tap and card stacking, now w/ some food, focus management is challenging but doable w/ skills at GM and above. Easier in a group w/ a dedicated healer. Can't just spam skills anymore, and sound like food will become mandatory in the future. If they ever get that new aetheric feedback spell to actually work, should make management easier. You're losing a lot of DPS, and XP/hr in turn by NOT GMing or going higher on skills. I recognize your name now, you had some great videos of your melee AOE builds a year ago, why no more videos? Loved watching them. You even playing much anymore?

2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I dont get as much time to play, but still playing a fair bit. I really really am anti-decay.. but as much as i have argued against it.. it looks like it will be finding its way in eventually. For now i put 3 trees at 80 and am only going to GM a couple of combat skills and a few crafting skills... because if my skills go backwards it would upset me to the point where i may not want to play >.<

Lord Baldrith and kaeshiva like this.
  3. Study_Break

Study_Break Avatar

Fair enough. Honestly if they make decay hurt that bad, it'll be time to play another game. Unlike UO days, where there just weren't many other games out there, now we have many choices and genres to play. Monsters like Star Citizen around the corner and all the new VR games coming out. They need to realize people have options, and if they make a game painful to play, people will just move on. Sure there will be a core group of dedicated SOTA players, but not likely the numbers UO had. Given my investment in the game, I really hope it turns into something great, but with these proposed changes, and what I've seen so far, I'm honestly not too hopeful. That's honestly why I try to give well thought-out feedback, but I'm just one opinion. UO captured and held my interest for years, SOTA isn't UO, no game has ever come close for me.

4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Agree with all of these sentiments.
    Decay is going to be a game breaker for a lot of us.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  5. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Sorry at all who really thought they can maintain more than a handfull skills at GM.
    But Themo is right. Decay is meant to prevent this from happen.

6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

If you want to prevent players from having too many GM, the only way to do that is with hard limits.
    If that's the vision and the goal, fine, we will all adapt, but the decay system is not going to achieve what you think.

There will ALWAYS be folks whose grinding time is such that they'll be able to maintain things at GM - skill decay with its current implementation plan is going to be brutal for more casual folks and barely noticeable for the powergrinding elite - the very people it is aimed at limiting. Who cares if you've got millions in your pool and unlimited time to grind it all back?

I honestly see no valid reason why this limit needs to exist in the first place - at a couple months in my skills are effectively 'done' then. If the only thing I can do now is grind to maintain where I am or move backwards whats the point in playing?

7. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I was told there would be no math. :(

I've been reading threads about skill gain, XP pools, decay rates, etc for over a year and regardless of our individual opinions on any of these matters I imagine we can mostly agree that there has been a tremendous amount of confusion about mechanics and math, and a tremendous amount of frustration as the devs continue to tinker with these things in big and small ways.

Would be nice to have a more simple set of systems and more continuity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.